CM2 menu theme song

Rights to "Ride of the Valkyries"? Well, Richard Wagner is dead for more than a 70 years, which means the copyright should have vanished long ago. Getting some new copyright from putting it into a movie shouldn't work. But I dunno what US courts say about that....

If Disney puts a stolen story in a movie, they always get copyright, for ever and eternity.

The music may be out of copyright, but I bet the performances are all owned. So, BFC could have simply pasted in the score at the start of CMBB instead of music. :)

Re Disney: That is what "Disneyfication" is all about. They change it to make it copyrightably THEIRS. And so does everyone else in the creative world.

Actually, no and no.

Eg. there are lots of animations about "Little Mermaid", that story by H.C. Andersen is not copyrighted but of course the plot and characters seen in the Disney version of that story are all intellectual properties of Disney Corp. But you can still make and sell your own versions of the original story. There are lots of them.

I doubt that buying the rights for an orchestral performance of composer X would be much more expensive than that of composer Y when both composers are long dead and the works of both are readily available.

"But you can still make and sell your own versions of the original story."

Yes, exactly. Disney only owns copyright to their version.

And yes, I was thinking creative business a la Disney. If you are a potter in Serbia it doesn't compare - unless you put Disney characters on your pots. Then, it's a big problem.

If there is a non-zero risk that a large movie company sues a startup company because the movie studio states that the combo "war" and "ride of the valkyries" belongs to them the startup company won't risk getting sued. Legal expenses will eat up its budget long before the end of the lawsuit.

The movie company knows that it will win in a lawsuit. One way (a verdict) or another (money runs out for the opponents). That increases the probability of getting sued for the small company.

Now what would you do as a small startup company?

I'd reduce that risk. However small it might be.

If there is a non-zero risk that a large movie company sues a startup company because the movie studio states that the combo "war" and "ride of the valkyries" belongs to them the startup company won't risk getting sued. Legal expenses will eat up its budget long before the end of the lawsuit.

Are you speculating that BFC chose Night on Bald Mountain because they were afraid of getting sued? Isn't that a bit far-fetched theory, given how there's nothing suggesting so? And Night on Bald Mountain is already used in Walt Disney's Fantasia...