Some questions from Rune's preview answered

Thanks to Rune for hosting the first preview, thanks to the guys who showed up to suffer through both beer and having to be teased by CM:BN. I'm sure it was tough on the senses :D

For those who weren't there, you can see some commentary from preview attendees here:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=94698&page=11

Rune diligently noted questions that came up during the preview. Here are the original questions/comments along with my answers:

1. Is there a difference between ready round and the round stored in the hull for load times?

The answer is no. It is assumed that crews move the rounds around internally whenever they are not otherwise engaged. Since vehicles tend to only fire a few rounds at a time, with breaks in between, this abstraction generally does not produce results different than what would happen in real life. Since explicit simulation of restocking the ready rack requires quite a bit of programming (TacAI amongst other things) and probably some player UI, we feel this is an area that is a fairly low priority to change. However, at some point we do intend on having explicit simulation just because we like doing stuff like this ;)

2. Gunner of 60mm mortar is not carrying it while moving.

We don't yet have soldiers carrying bits of weapons like tripods, base plates, mortar tubes, etc. This requires quite a bit of work and we felt it was too much to take on for this first release. Radios, Panzerfaust, secondary small arms, and personal equipment tailored to the specific soldier are the only things we explicitly show at the moment.

3. Click on enemy unit, [a squad in this case] see the information for the entire platoon [note this may be due to playing at veteran level]

Yes, the level of play has an affect on what FoW info you get. What I think you might be referring to here is the C2 list of units, not that if you click on one Squad you literally see the other Squads even if you didn't spot them yet. Generally speaking, however, we're still tweaking what FoW info is shown and when.

4. Great comment *Balance is back again!!!!*

CM:SF had balance, but it isn't the same sort of balance found in CMBO or CM:BN. Kinda more like in CMBB when playing veteran late war Germans with the best equipment vs. conscript Soviet forces without the best stuff. Balance can not be achieved on a vehicle by vehicle, squad by squad level because unit for unit one side outclasses the other. Terrain, unit quantities, victory conditions (not present in CMx1), weather, and other factors can be employed to even things up.

5. Is the mac version on track to be released with the pc version?

Yup.

6. Where are the flame throwers and flame thrower tanks?

Not present in the initial release of CM:BN. Not sure when they will arrive, but the knock-on effects of flame weapons was too much to tackle for the initial release.

7. Artillery went over EXTREMELY well, except, how can they tell not to hit heir own men. [500 meter distance between, may be unrealistic to be that accurate within such a small distance.]

It depends a LOT on the type of weapon, quality of Spotter, and what sort of mission you're executing. Generally speaking, 500m is considered "danger close" for the medium to big stuff even in modern warfare. WW2 would certainly not be any better.

Steve

Thanks again Steve. It's so cool of you all to allow us a little tease and support these previews happening. It really does make it tougher though anticipating the release. It's like giving a junkie a small taste and then pulling it back and saying, ok sorry you will just have to wait now! :D:D Much appreciated!!! I do feel priveliged and lucky to be able to get a sneak peek on what so many are waiting for!

You doubted I would bring up the T28? I will wait for the modules before I brng it up again, and eventually when we head East, the Spanish Blue Division. However, I will also admit it was at one of the previews where we determined being a Finn was the same thing as being an ewok. Who else fights the enemy with logs?

Rune