CM:BM for MAC

Michael Emrys - If your Bootcamp partition is solely for running games, especially older games, then I would probably suggest sticking with a 32-bit version of Windows for Bootcamp. A 64-bit version may work with all of the games you currently use, but there is the possibility that one or more of them may not. It's possible that Windows 7, in and of itself, may not fully run some games, regardless if it is 32-bit or 64-bit.

The Radeon HD 4670 should be fine for most of the CM games. It may not be the fastest video card, but it should do fine for most situations with the CMx2 engine. The Catalyst 10.12 (for Windows) seems to be fine at the moment. I'm not familiar with the driver issues on the MacOS side of things.

Regarding the Intel GMA 950 (integrated video of the Intel 945G) video for the Mac Minis - it may just 'barely' run. I suggest trying the latest 1.30 Demo of CMSF (assuming you have a Bootcamp partition setup with Windows). The performance of the demo should give you a fair idea of what to possibly expect with CMBN. CMBN may perform a bit differently (slower) since there is more vegetation that what you typically may see in a CMSF scenario.

Also, the question of video drivers under Windows raises its ugly head... I am stuck with an ATI Radeon HD 4670.

Michael

Well not sure what the question actually is.

Are you asking:

“Will CM:BN run with this card?” or

“Which is the best version of the drivers to use with this card and CM:BN“ or something else again?

If you are worried, I’d wait until the CM:BN demo comes out and try it.

Michael Emrys - If your Bootcamp partition is solely for running games, especially older games, then I would probably suggest sticking with a 32-bit version of Windows for Bootcamp. A 64-bit version may work with all of the games you currently use, but there is the possibility that one or more of them may not. It's possible that Windows 7, in and of itself, may not fully run some games, regardless if it is 32-bit or 64-bit.

The Radeon HD 4670 should be fine for most of the CM games. It may not be the fastest video card, but it should do fine for most situations with the CMx2 engine. The Catalyst 10.12 (for Windows) seems to be fine at the moment. I'm not familiar with the driver issues on the MacOS side of things.

Thanks, Schrullenhaft. That's reassuring and clears up the 32 vs. 64 bit question as well as I expect it can be at the moment.

Michael

Are you asking:

“Will CM:BN run with this card?” or

“Which is the best version of the drivers to use with this card and CM:BN“ or something else again?

What I was asking, but may be unanswerable at the moment, is what drivers would work best with system 7 and that particular Radeon. But I think your answer of "Wait and see" is best.

Michael

Some general info...

Since hardware for a Mac is the same for both OSX and BootCamp Windows the speed should be pretty much the same. We're still in the process of optimizing some bits of code to work better on the Mac than they did (i.e. OS specific tweaks). But Phil thinks that's just about done, so when complete the two should run roughly the same speed.

Remember that CM offers a variety of graphics settings. I just took a tour of a fairly densely wooded, large map that can hammer framerate pretty hard. Even with my non-optimized debug version (10-20% slower than a release version) I was in the 20s mid quality setting, 50s down at Fastest, and between 8 and 20 with all details cranked up to full. Considering I'm playing on a MacBook Pro, I'm pretty happy with the speed and quality.

Steve

Thanks for that info, Steve, very helpful.

When you get a chance, could you post the some details on which MacBook Pro you have? Processor and Graphics card is what I'm most interested in. There's a pretty big difference between the current top-of-the line MBP with the NVidia 330M, and a mid-grade MBP that's a couple of years old...

Thanks,

YD

Thanks for that info, Steve, very helpful.

When you get a chance, could you post the some details on which MacBook Pro you have? Processor and Graphics card is what I'm most interested in. There's a pretty big difference between the current top-of-the line MBP with the NVidia 330M, and a mid-grade MBP that's a couple of years old...

Thanks,

YD

Well as he hasn't let anyone else play with the CM:BN version yet I can't be certain but my MBP runs CM:SF Mac pretty well.

Summary in signature block.

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B05

SMC Version (system): 1.33f8

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0647

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: 3437

gMux Version: 1.7.3

Displays:

Color LCD:

Resolution: 1440 x 900

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Mirror: On

Mirror Status: Hardware Mirror

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

Cinema HD:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: On

Mirror Status: Master Mirror

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Thanks to everyone for all the replies, they are very helpful.

It sounds like the bottom line is CM:BN will likely be released for OSX relatively soon, and in the event it is not, it should run on any reasonably equipped Mac using Bootcamp with Windows XP service pack 2 or higher. So I think I will go ahead and get my iMac.....