Advise Please: buy MX440?

Steiner14

Although i'm very satisfied with my Radeon 8500LE, i'm really sick of not being able to see fog.

I still remeber how great CMBO looked, with my TNT2 and i have to avoid scenarios with fog, otherwise ... smilie.php?smile_ID=21

I'm not playing any other games, and will not for the next year i guess, so i'm thinking of buying a cheap GF440MX only for CMBB and throw the Radeon out.

What do you think about it?

Anyone who knows, if the MX440 will perfom worse than the R8500LE?

Thanks in advance.

[ September 12, 2003, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Steiner14 ]

According to some benchmarks run by Tom's Hardware (VGA Charts, Part 1) the Radeon 8500LE did significantly better in some DirectX benchmarks (47.5fps to 32.3fps - this is with a faster processor than you may be using though). I don't know if Aquanox is a good benchmark to compare for CM purposes. It may be doing a lot of T&L, which CM doesn't do - and that could affect the benchmarks by quite a bit.

In the Dungeon Siege Benchmark the results were a bit closer (and also varied between the 8X and 4X versions of the GeForce 4MX 440).

Generally speaking you'll probably lose a little bit of performance within CM moving to the GeForce 4 MX 440. These boards are actually more equivalent to the GeForce 2 series than the GeForce 4 series. A better purchase would be the GeForce 3 Ti 200. It's a bit more expensive, but it is still being offered by Gainward and some others in 64Mb and 128Mb models. It will outperform the Radeon 8500LE.

I don't have a lot of techinical experience, but I saw your post in the other forum and thought I would respond:

Don't get an MX, even if it's a GF4....I hated my old MX. If you don't want to shell out the money for a GF4ti, don't get the MX. As was mentioned above, think about a GF3ti, instead.

--Mal

No Radeon card does fog in CM on Windows as none of them support Fog Tables and that will not ever change according to ATI.

The GeForce 4 4200, 4600 and 4800 cards are all exceptional cards and should work great and you should be able to find them pretty cheap now.

Run, don't walk from any card with the letters "MX" in them though!

Madmatt

I am sad to say, Madmat is right, I have the ATI 9700pro in my main game computer, and while it does play CMBB fast, it does not support the fog table. You can check the ATI RAGE web site to find many of the CMBB players who have the ATI card, and have asked for ATI to support the FTE, but, as you will see, they are giving the no comment line to the requests.

In my back up system, I have a FX5200 and, while it is not as fast, it still does a good job, and you get the effects, they are going for less than 100 bucks these days.

I would also tell you to stay away from the MX cards, check out the various reports from

[H]ardOCP, or Tom's, as posted above.

For some reason, even the color from the MX cards seem, well, almost like from the funny pages. But, I am not sure why, since the drivers are the same on these Nvida cards.

Good luck.

Tom

i replaced my gainward gold sample gf3 128mb ti200 with an FX5900 just recently

so i've got a card for you if you're interested and i'm willing to sell it for cheap (since I've got no other use for it than to sell it or give it away)

ignore comments above about it not being able to run FPS games - not true - i never ran across a game it wouldn't run

and since it comes from the factor overclocked to a ti500 speed (w/ a gurantee from the mfg) it's plenty fast as long as you're not planning on trying to run DX9 games on it (a whole other story of book length proportions i won't go into)

it also has the added benefit of being able to run older drivers from nvidia which makes it possible to run all CM games in all their glory w/o any hiccups - fog included ;)

anyway, since this discussion came up, thought i'd just mention i've got a soln sitting in a box by my desk...

Wow. Thank you all for your honest answers and preserving me of buying crap. smile.gif

Especially Easytarget. Thank you very much for the offer.

But i'll check out e-bay/one-two-sold first. Maybe i'll find a deal close to Vienna.

If not, i'll feel free to send you a message.

[ September 14, 2003, 07:17 AM: Message edited by: Steiner14 ]