Issue with ZSU-23?

I played the scenario, Alamo last night and did two playthroughs. In both, I found a recurring condition that I thought odd.

Here is the condition. Sorry, both games were RT so no game save, but I may have a game save prior to

Two ZSU-23s on high ground advances to edge of hill feature. I have a Wiesel and 4 Marders in the low ground. I have a spot on the ZSUs from my observer who is on high ground across the valley, so at least I am aware of them trundling forward.

ZSUs stop at crest of hill, one in clear terrain, one with some light brush around it. I have no spot from the Wiesel or the Marders. First ZSU opens up on the Wiesel (which has not fired and is in trees), which implies the ZSU has observation on the Wiesel. Wiesel is not destroyed in first burst and still doesn't pick up the ZSU, despite the streamer of tracer fire. ZSU hestitates for some 15 seconds and then destroys the Wiesel with a second burst of 23mm fire.

While this is going on, the second ZSU sprays down one of my Marders and damages it. No Marders get any spot on it. Two bursts of 23mm later and the Marder is destroyed. No Marders get spot. The second ZSU now starts working on the second Marder and with two bursts, kill it. Marders still do not get spot during this process. In frustration, I try to manually assign a target to the ZSUs with the remaining two Marders and while I can get a clear line of sight to the ground around the ZSUs, the ZSUs themselves show no line of sight.

Ok, this is what is so wrong with this.

1. ZSU-23 is a very high vehicle and should be easy to see, especially with the big ass radar dish on the top of the turret. If anyone is going to get spotted first, it should be the ZSU but is almost like they are under some freaking cloaking device at throughout this entire firefight, neither the Wiesel or the Marders ever get a valid line of sight to the hulking ZSUs.

2. The radars on the ZSUs have no ground search capability the I could find would looking at the equipment capabilities, yet they had in that instance an uncanny ability to spot the Wiesel despite it small size and being in trees. It was also clear that one of the ZSUs had line of sight to two of my Marders if not all of them, yet despite firing mulitple times, my vehicles never got line of sight to either of the ZSUs.

I redid the scenario and this time, only one ZSU crested the hill but again, it hosed down two vehicles with 23mm bursts and none of my vehicles could get a line of sight.

Not sure if this is a common problem with ZSUs in general, or just specific that that scenario.

Anyone else noticed the behavior above?

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed as well that a ZSU-23-4 spotted a 2 man recon troop from about a KM distance, when the troop just walked (hunt order) around a ridge. Fire was opened almost immediately, without the recon troop seeing the ZSU-23-4.

Perhaps the Syrians modded their radar dish to detect GPS receivers or Radio transmitters ? ;)

the ZSU's radar dish isn't revolving like an an insane Dervish.

But wouldn't that up its likelihood of being spotted by an order of magnitude? =P

Seriously, though... if any Coalition fast-mover on SEAD duty nearby would with relative promptness knock out any Shilka which had its radar activated, wouldn't Shilkas generally have their radar turned off?

Would a Shilka crew bother turning their radar on if their intent is to lie in wait for blithely advancing Coalition vehicles and then slather them with fire?