Ireland a separate minor?

None of which had any actual effect on anything which would be represented in a game of this scale!

Given the nature of the game, who knows what the effect might be given the ever-changing circumstances. What if Germany had defeated France, then Russia, leaving Britain to fight the war on its own?

Sergei what of it? How would the 1916 rebellion have mattered?

Having some popular support for a German invasion of Ireland might be important....but the Easter Uprising, of itself, is not and would not be.

But in the case you describe I believe England would have sued for peace - there was no great horror political system to oppose, no US as the arsenal of democracy at this stage.

Sergei what of it? How would the 1916 rebellion have mattered?

Having some popular support for a German invasion of Ireland might be important....but the Easter Uprising, of itself, is not and would not be.

Easter Uprising is not really the issue, and Bill even said "events like the Easter Rising". Think of alternative scenarios. If Russian empire would have been more successful in the war, would the Tsar (and the Provisional Government) have been ousted in 1917? Probably not. For a strategy game where the flow of events can wildly deviate from history (and indeed, changing history is part of the appeal), you have to make provisions for unlikely events becoming likely. Without knowing the conditions and effects of each such events, it's hard to judge them.

Having said that, the Grand Duchy of Finland doesn't seem to be separate from Russia. Does this mean that she can't claim independence after the Bolshevik revolution in Russia? Not that I think that the following civil war would be easy to shoehorn into the overall game, but I'm just asking. ;)

And no way Britain would have surrendered even if France had fallen. See Napoleonic wars and WW2. Maybe if her precious navy sunk, but otherwise they'd just ignore what happened in the continent, just like they always do.

I didn't say surrender - I said sue for peace. In fact France and England did have a peace in the middle of the Nappy & Revolutionary wars - the Peace of Amiens - it only lasted a year before the Brits decided they were not going to keep its terms and htey didn't like Nappy flexing his muscles in various places - especially Haiti & Louisiana.

But it did happen, and who knows whether or not a German-British Empire peace in 1914 or 1915 might have lasted - it's serious what-if material.

Back to the Easter Uprising - I have no idea what you think something "like" that might have done in any given context - the various Russian revolutions were certainly nothing like it.

Had the Russians been more successful then yes I can imagine another outcome - other games include hte possibility and do it reasonably well - GoA includes "both" revolutions - if hte Russians do well the 1st one simply never happens, and if they do well after it then the 2nd one may never happen....but if htye do badly after the 1st one then the chances of the 2nd one, and them leaving the war, are greatly increased.

Hopefully Hubert will not try to make the game too open ended - IMO the immediate post war period needs a better power-politics basis than the simple declare war/conquer system of SC (& all its rivals)

• 2 weeks later...
None of which had any actual effect on anything which would be represented in a game of this scale!

I do hope Hubert doesn't include or elevate pointless stuff just for the sake of added chrome!

I am one of the beta testers for SC-WW1 and can assure you that there is nothing whatsoever in this game that is "pointless". This game will set a new standard for the SC franchise. Simply put, it is awesome.

If you don't like chrome in your games, perhaps you can persuade Hubert to put in a "kill" switch for you :)

I'm more interested in whether it will set a new standard in WW1 games - 'cos frankly all the dedicated "grand strategy" WW2 games leave me cold (SC & it's direct competitors) - I prefer teh WW2 grand strategy games that hav been created for the wargame design systems such as TOAW and Advanced Tactics!

So setting a new standard for the "SC franchise" isn't a selling point for me - making a great WW1 game is - and there it competes against Guns of August, which is far and away the best Grand Strategy game I have ever played of any era.......despite its faults!