What's your record for setup time?

No movement orders necessarily, but when defending I tend to take my time. I will have a close look at the terrain before thinking "what would my opponent do?". This will take some time and I will try to think of two or three possibilities.

I then try to work out what I have and how best to cover the ground to counter those moves or draw my opponent into an ambush. A basic plan will form in my head and I will roughly place AT weapons and platoons of infantry as well as my reserve. At this point I will also be considering an artillery fireplan.

This will have taken at least 2 hours so far for a tricky defence.

I will then form a more concrete plan, positioning individual squads and rejigging as necessary as well as writing down future plans and anticipated enemy movements. After double checking my setup I will then create a fireplan for my artillery and note down the location and timing of the strikes.

The end result is a deployment with a fireplan as well as an outline of the future battle. Sometimes this may include a sketch of the map because as I start to spot enemy movements I can then note it down and adjust my plans accordingly. The map can also note down alternative positions for my troops to move to after they begin firing. this is best worked out in advance because it prevents silly mistakes :)

Too extreme?

No movement orders necessarily, but when defending I tend to take my time. I will have a close look at the terrain before thinking "what would my opponent do?". This will take some time and I will try to think of two or three possibilities.

I then try to work out what I have and how best to cover the ground to counter those moves or draw my opponent into an ambush. A basic plan will form in my head and I will roughly place AT weapons and platoons of infantry as well as my reserve. At this point I will also be considering an artillery fireplan.

This will have taken at least 2 hours so far for a tricky defence.

I will then form a more concrete plan, positioning individual squads and rejigging as necessary as well as writing down future plans and anticipated enemy movements. After double checking my setup I will then create a fireplan for my artillery and note down the location and timing of the strikes.

The end result is a deployment with a fireplan as well as an outline of the future battle. Sometimes this may include a sketch of the map because as I start to spot enemy movements I can then note it down and adjust my plans accordingly. The map can also note down alternative positions for my troops to move to after they begin firing. this is best worked out in advance because it prevents silly mistakes :)

Too extreme?

Then.................................contact with the enemy is made in an unforcast position and battle plan gets crumpled up and throw to the bin!

Then ... contact with the enemy is made in an unforcast position and battle plan gets crumpled up and throw to the bin!

Nah - it's always easier to modify an existing plan than come up with a new one on the fly. Especially if you've taken the time for a thorough ground recce, which it sounds that HCROF does do.

Note to self: don't play HCROF in a PBEM :eek:

wow.. 5 hours. If only I could justify that amount of time on the setup phase :D

What CMBB mission was that?

Custom scenario made for a tournament. Two full Russian tank battalions and a rifle infantry battalion of tank riders. And I'm defending with an understrength infantry battalion, three Pak38s, and about 9 tanks ;)

Like Hcrof, I spent about 2 hours trying to see what avenues of attack he was most likely to take, and where my very limited AT resources should be used.

Finally there was my set up of course, which took another couple hours :).

Well... no idea what NABLA is... yes it will be challenging but I'm confident in my defensive layout. Even if I lose all the flags... if I kill enough of his tanks it'll be good. We're going to play it tcp-ip likely once he sets up. Keep in mind though all his T34s are M43s... and I do get ONE panther. And his only avenues of attack are through a giant wide open area, a heavily forested area with some scattered trees "paths" and a narrow road (easy to ambush him there if I want).

Still... if I remember right he has like 45 of those M43s, not 85s thank God :P (plus about 10 T60s/T70s), so it will be a challenge ;).

I'll try to take some screenies of the battle and do a little AAR on it once we play it for you guys.

Well... no idea what NABLA is... yes it will be challenging but I'm confident in my defensive layout. Even if I lose all the flags... if I kill enough of his tanks it'll be good. We're going to play it tcp-ip likely once he sets up. Keep in mind though all his T34s are M43s... and I do get ONE panther. And his only avenues of attack are through a giant wide open area, a heavily forested area with some scattered trees "paths" and a narrow road (easy to ambush him there if I want).

Still... if I remember right he has like 45 of those M43s, not 85s thank God :P (plus about 10 T60s/T70s), so it will be a challenge ;).

I'll try to take some screenies of the battle and do a little AAR on it once we play it for you guys.

That sounds like you will get slaughtered! Does he (or you) have any artillery assets? All he needs do is role in his light tanks, recon the area, and hit you as hard as possible in one area.