Just started playing CM:A, and liking it...

c3k

I've only played the first scenario (alphabetically, as always), so my experience with this title is limited. However, it does give a different feel than CMSF, and it has a different look. I like the differences.

The look seems a little more "cartooney", but not in a derogatory sense. Similar to some of the cell shading seen in the more avant-garde, illustrated novels (at least that's what I think they call comic books these days). I imagine it would be more acceptable in the marketplace to make a game about an unpopular war a bit less realistic. Anyway, I was on my guard based on the color saturation I saw in screenshots with the bright vegetation. After zooming into the soldiers, watching them move, seeing the face icons, and the UI, it all is part of a cohesive whole. I like it.

Now, no post about ANYTHING CM related would be complete without a niggle. It seems like my Soviet Desantniki (?) are a bit too eager to give buddy aid. In contact, with firing orders, my men (remember, in the one and only scenario I've played) repeatedly ignored known enemy who were firing on them and caused them casualties, in order to give buddy aid to their squad-mates. They seemed a bit too headstrong in that regard.

I'm glad I purchased it, and I look forward to playing this quite a bit more.

Thanks,

Ken

Its been a long time since I've looked into this so I may be misremembering, but I believe buddy aid may be tied to unit experience. The higher the unit the MORE likely to give buddy aid. Poor conscript troops wouldn't know how to aid a wounded comrade so his likelihood of dying is that much greater. Buddy aid I think is designed specifically to reduce your fighting abilities. I recall during the war the Soviets would scatter remarkably small mini-mines from the air. The purpose wasn't to kill but to injure. That not only removes the man from the battle but the stretcher-bearers as well.

Welcome to the club Ken. I've been enjoying checking out this title, and as mentioned above some great mods as usual add to the immersion.

Hopefully we can talk Steve/Snowball into making a few tweaks. Although apparently there isn't a Snowball's chance in hell of getting useable trucks implemented.

2. Trucks lacking passenger capacity. Unfortunately adding support for that many passenger spaces is a real PITA to do. Snowball made the decision to not include passenger capacity because they felt troops wouldn't ride in the back of trucks in a tactical environment. Unless they change their minds the status quo will remain.

Steve

I get what you were originally saing about it looking like good avente garde graphics...I love it...I look back at CMO days and say to all the guys/gals? at battlefront "You've come a long way baby!"

ANd thanks for going there, most mainstream game co's wouldve passed on the theme/subject..Hey how about modules for Russias brief fight with Georgia or better yet chechnya, the first and second chechnyan wars! Kosovo anyone?? Touchy topics, that whole "ethnic cleansing" thing but there were tactical engagements in all that mess and they would run great in simulation!! I saw some kind of tank simulation game(Russian) where Rhodesia was the battleground...Itd be great to see some of this modern equipment rolling over something besides desert, dirt and mud!!!!:o