Why must I log in several times to post?

meade95

Yes. I understand that, regarding once you clear your cache.......You are required to log in again... The problem starts from there. Once you are logged in (you really aren't) once you go to post in the forum. You have to re-log in again several times or hit the refresh until it is recognized.

I will go with the F5 option from now on.

No, you don't have to re-log in several times. Hitting refresh once after the first login will do the trick. This forces your browser to sync the login status. Note that this is a problem with your browser and cache settings, not the forum.

I hate having to put in your password everytime you download something from the repo...when you want a few things it's annoying...so I go to GreenJades

Just as with the forum, you can choose to "remain logged in" for the main site, too. Then, whenever you visit the Repository, you are already logged in and do not have to log in every time.

No, you don't have to re-log in several times. Hitting refresh once after the first login will do the trick. This forces your browser to sync the login status. Note that this is a problem with your browser and cache settings, not the forum.

No. This isn't exactly true. I just did it. Came here. Was not logged in. Logged in as usual.... was told to wait or click here....waited....it booted me to the relogin page....I chose instead to refresh (nada)....Still not logged in.

Next. Logged in. Wait for the blah, blah click or wait here....Same thing. It takes my UserName and Password and boots me back to the log in screen. I this time click the "Battlefront Forum" link top LEFT corner. I hit refresh...(as is always the case, things look great, I have the "welcome, medade95" up in the top right corner.....yet without fail...Go to post and BINGO I'm not logged in, I am sent to the log-in screen page (nevermind that up in the top right corner just prior to trying to post this forum shows me logged in).

Yes, it is, specific and entirely ONLY with this forum. I'm on a computer 10-15 hours a day with my job. I go to various forums routinely throughout day. This is the only forum in which this happens. I know how to work around it....but the notion that it isn't specific to this forum just isn't true. It most certainly is. It is not a cache or IE issue (unless one that is directly and only related to this forum).

but the notion that it isn't specific to this forum just isn't true. It most certainly is.

Ah, so you've been to every Forum on the Internet and used all different browsers and browser versions? That's some sleuth work.

I don't know what to say. The software for this Forum isn't ours. The vast majority of people who use this Forum, regardless of a bunch of different variables, don't have any problem with remaining logged in what-so-ever. This indicates that there is something different about the configurations of the users having problems compared to the configurations of all those who have no problems. And whatever the case is, I doubt we can do anything about it.

Not that this doesn't make the annoying problem any less annoying. We do understand that. But it's not something we can fix.

Steve

I wouldn't doubt, at all, that the problem is some combo of browser make, browser version (and/or OS), and the version of vBB we've got running here. There could also be separate end user problems which have similar outward appearances. That's not an uncommon experience. It's even been seen in this thread already.

The only thing we could possible do, as far as we can tell, is upgrade the Forum software. We really, really don't want to do that because we have a lot of customized code for things like the banners, which needs to be hand written into the newer version. Someday we'll suck it up and deal with the hit, but not until we absolutely have to. If the login problem appears to be getting worse, and starts to affect more than a handful of users, then we'll probably bite the bullet and upgrade.

Steve

Never happens to me. Perhaps, meade95, you're simply not doing it properly.

Of course, it could be that I'm particularly blessed, one of the chosen, and, am, after all, an Old One of the Peng Challenge Thread, but my guess is, it's simply you.

Tell me, lad. Have you broken any commandments, lately? Perhaps not one of the 'usual' ones, like adultery or murder, that any of us could be guilty of. One of the more esoteric ones, involving something like 'coveting oxen'?

There's no shame in admitting it. Well, there is, actually. But it might help the system administrators a lot if you were to just admit that occasionally you pull on a 'furry' costume, and romp about the local pastures. I'm only saying.

Well apart from feeling murderous or coveting oxen you might consider laying down the crackpipe before posting in this rather serious thread about cookie problems ;)

Meade,

There is something strange with the cookie/session on this forum and some pc's (I blame vbulletin but I thats just intuition.), but unfortunately for you you belong to the vocal minority. Here they don't have the same power as in the rest of the world so you basically have to fix it yourself :)

Try to erase all your cookies etc and make sure you let FireFox remember your login details. That'll ease your life hopefully.

Ow and nothing negative towards BF.C from me, these problems are ****ty to localize and even more to fix in their case (manual upgrading).

No. This isn't exactly true. I just did it. Came here. Was not logged in. Logged in as usual.... was told to wait or click here....waited....it booted me to the relogin page....I chose instead to refresh (nada)....Still not logged in.

Are you sure that you are not logged in? No "Welcome" message in the right upper corner? Have you tried hitting F5/refresh at that point?

I had this problem too, in fact I expected to have to deal with it to make this post - surprisingly I didn't. I never had it prior to the hacker attack, but that proves nothing. I keep my computer updated and I use IE explorer at the default security setting. There are so many variables at play it is impossible to determine what the issue is. I too have no problems at other sites just as none of my other opengl games have lighting issues... just sayin.;)

Are you sure that you are not logged in? No "Welcome" message in the right upper corner? Have you tried hitting F5/refresh at that point?

Yes. I get the welcome "meade95" in the top right corner. However, when I go to post, it will direct back to the re-log-in page.

But again, once I am logged in....I stay logged in (that is not the problem, staying logged in once I finally am). The problem is just at the start, when I first come to this forum for the day. It will take several log-ins, including a refresh a time or two for the site to recognize fullly that I'm here (even after giving me the "welcome meade95", top right corner message).

It is not a huge issue and I've worked around it since the big crash awhile back, whenever that was....I just finally brought it up the other night ago to see if there was an answer. But I am certain it is only with this site, that I am having such an issue with.

Well, we did move to a different server which changed a few things. Maybe updating any bookmarks you saved would be good, too.

Having said that, I did make a small change to cookie behavior just now. Maybe it will solve the problem you guys have, maybe it will now cause problems for everyone, we'll see :)

BTW, the forum isn't an online banking account or some such. There is no real need to log out when you leave it. Using the "Remember me" setting is pretty safe.

BTW, the forum isn't an online banking account or some such. There is no real need to log out when you leave it. Using the "Remember me" setting is pretty safe.

Are you insane? Once you're stupid enough to leave your BattleFront login always active, it's only a matter of time before you find yourself pawing at the screen growling 'Brains! Brains!'.

As a sensible prophylactic measure, I always log-out after every session. Then, I strip-off the latex gloves I've used while typing. After a quick 'alcohol immersion bath' (for the brain, rather than my hands, which have, after all, been adequately protected), I scrub my entire body with floral based soaps.

This doesn't help protect against the BFC Virus, but it does make my skin feel wonderful. Finally, in an effort to stop anything coming across the Combat Mission Interface to pollute and corrupt my mind, I usually have 2-3 stout glasses of single malt scotch, or 7-8 glasses of Bacardi and coke.

After that, I find that my mind is completely incorruptible. Also, that I'm left with a wonderful desire to post to the Outer Boards.

MY BRETHREN! DO NOT FEAR US, FOR WE OF THE PENG CHALLENGE THREAD WELCOME YOU!

I have no idea if any of these things could possibly keep your computer safe, or make your log-in sessions easier, more efficient, or better in any way. Nor do I care. I'm not here to hold your hand.