OT - It's not just CMSF

Paper Tiger

It's not just CMSF that ran into problems with their existing fan base shortly after release. I'm a REAL Civilization fan and have the new game pre-loaded on my computer and am all ready to rock tomorrow morning. But it was released in the US a couple of days ago and so the fans have been posting their comments. I have been following the discussions on their boards as well. Let's just say that the changes that have been made to the game do not sit well with some long time fans who hate the changes made to their precious game. And the folks who love the new game just rip into them. Now they're accusing the new player base of being responsible for the 'dumbing down' of the game. They are not true Civ fans. This reminds me of those long-gone days of Thunder here.

Some people embrace change and get on with their lives. Others seem less able to do so.

apologies for this being off topic. I wanted to post a link to a particularly virulent thread but I think we all get the gist :)

Every single game (without exception that I can think of) that I've paid any attention to in the last 5 years or so has had, at release, a stream of complaints, including all opf the following:

a) This game is so buggy. We are paying to be beta testers. This game isn't even ready for beta testing yet. What were the beta testers doing? (Quadruple the complaints if it's a PC game for the tens of thousands of hardware / driver setups that might cause unpredictable problems).

B) Feature X is missing that was in a previous version / similar game / utterly different game. Why are the developers so lazy that they omit this vital and easy to implement featre.

c) New feature Y in the game just ruins it. The head designer of this abomination should be fired.

d) I'm going to get a refund.

The larger the existing user base, and the more popular the game, the more hysterical the internet outrage. I imagine most developers learn to ignore all the ranting, and manage to filter out to find out what the actual issues that need fixing are.

Can't be any worse then a DnD forum where you have people who have played it since the 70's up to the new 4th edition folks. Everyone has their own favorite version, and all other beliefs are declared heretics to the true faith.

That's easy. 1st edition. It was an incoherent mish-mash of arbitrary rules with no sense of design or game balance, but it had character and was fun. And more importantly, I grew up with it, so nostaliga proves I am right ;)

Can't be any worse then a DnD forum where you have people who have played it since the 70's up to the new 4th edition folks. Everyone has their own favorite version, and all other beliefs are declared heretics to the true faith.

A DnD edition war is a terrible thing to behold...and so sensless when we all know 'Pathfinder' is clearly the better option...:D:P

All joking aside, the growing fundamentalism of computer game fans is slowly making me sick of the hobby. So pronounced is it on some sites I've visted I'm beginning to suspect it might make a good subject for a PHD.

I know a certain large game company that was behind on its bills and didn't have its big game ready, so they shipped an empty box and then claimed they had "a manufacturing glitch" and mailed the disks out to people. This bought them roughly 1 month more of development time. And the game, when it did ship, still had all the problems TheVulture mentioned :D Now that is a problematic release that would be hard to top :D

Some people understand that games MUST change and that no game company can assure each individual customer that they are going to like those changes. I really, really loved Warcraft II, for example. I have had no interest in any of the Warcraft games that came out since. Should I be bitter about it and scream at the developer for "destroying a game I love"? No, I thank them for the enjoyment I got from Warcraft II and move on. It's really quite simple and very healthy.

In fact, looking back at my long history of gaming I've tended to fall in love with the 2nd release of a particular family of games. Not the first one, not the third or later ones. And yes, I recall each of those games having a bunch of first version fans being rather unhelpful to those who embraced the second. Close Combat 2, Warcraft II, Caesar II, Lords of the Realm 2, Civil War General 2, Marathon 2 (OK, I loved the first one, but not as much!), Command & Conquer 2, Heroes of Might and Magic 2, Civilization 2, Sim City 2000 (loved the first one too), Doom II, and the list goes on.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
... Lords of the Realm 2 ...

Wooo! I loved that game! Grew up on it :)

To the subject of games changing, it's perfectly normal that games should change, in fact I get more angry when games stay the same than when they change, like you said, you either like it or move on. I think it's when a game changes it's direction significantly that it's annoying (such as the aforementioned "dumbing-down"). But still, no reason to jump up and down for years and years demanding it be changed.