Multiplayer Quick battles are broken :(

ZPB II

Me and my friend have been trying to get quick battles to work, but 9 times out of 10 we have started in the same deployment zone. This bug was also present in CMSF when it was released.

The first battle we fought worked as it should but each after that has failed miserably due to spawning right next to each other.

Sad panda. :(

Chances of this being a QB map problem is pretty low. So Lets start here First:

Is this seen in TCP or PBEM games? If PBEM May I get a save file and Both Passwords sent to me : mark.ezra3591(AT)gmail.com (AT) means @ in antispam.

Edit: I started and played a QB Attack Scen as PBEM with no trouble. I reviewed the QB Map Meeting Engagement And Blue sets up Blue and Red sets up Red

Bad formulation, my fault (I'm not a native english speaker).

I wanted to give an indication on how this problem could happen with CMSF, It may be the same conditions on CM:A.

I played several QB in IP with CMSF (1.10 IIRC), and each Blue VS Blue or Red VS Red we played was cancelled due to this problem. We were attacking the same village starting from the same hills, or starting from the same side of the map.

I don't have any save (IP), but I made a "joke" to a friend once, surrounding his positions in my/his deployment (witch I anticipate as being the same). I still have the screens, the game last about 42 seconds.

dbile12.jpg

dbile32.jpg

dbile22.jpg

Bad formulation, my fault (I'm not a native English speaker).

I wanted to give an indication on how this problem could happen with CMSF, It may be the same conditions on CM:A.

I played several QB in IP with CMSF (1.10 IIRC), and each Blue VS Blue or Red VS Red we played was canceled due to this problem. We were attacking the same village starting from the same hills, or starting from the same side of the map.

I don't have any save (IP), but I made a "joke" to a friend once, surrounding his positions in my/his deployment (witch I anticipate as being the same). I still have the screens, the game last about 42 seconds.

]

My French is an embarrassment. Thanks for posting. This bug does not show up in QB H2H, PBEM, or Vs AI. But it does look like something is happening during TCP/IP setup. I'm not a TCP player but other Beta Testers are. I've made a bug report of this and will keep an eye on it until resolution. Thanks, again for posting.

EDIT Update: Bug Report Made

I forgot to mention we play TCP/IP exclusively. It's really apparent in CMA, happening nearly 90% of the time, much less so in CMSF, yet still occasionally coming up...It spoils a lot of the fun since we end up discussing our deployment zones before the battle as to make sure we don't start right on top of eachother, not to mention the frustration of having to start over battles all the time...I didn't see an option to save the game in TCP/IP, I could provide screenshots only but I guess there's nothing to see in them that can't be conveyed by words alone... :D

Bad formulation, my fault (I'm not a native english speaker).

I played several QB in IP with CMSF (1.10 IIRC), and each Blue VS Blue or Red VS Red we played was cancelled due to this problem. We were attacking the same village starting from the same hills, or starting from the same side of the map.

/QUOTE]

Just to be clear, you are playing with the latest patch right? 1.21?

I forgot to mention we play TCP/IP exclusively. It's really apparent in CMA, happening nearly 90% of the time, much less so in CMSF, yet still occasionally coming up...It spoils a lot of the fun since we end up discussing our deployment zones before the battle as to make sure we don't start right on top of eachother, not to mention the frustration of having to start over battles all the time...I didn't see an option to save the game in TCP/IP, I could provide screenshots only but I guess there's nothing to see in them that can't be conveyed by words alone... :D

Pictures are proof. If I can see the QB Maps I can rule them in or out of any problems. Settings, unit selections, Game type: Attack-Meeting-Both, all help to understand what you are seeing. Speaking of Proof: Are you and your partner both aware that colors have been reversed for CM-A

m7b3vc.jpg

Thanks for spending time looking into this. I'll try and provide pictures the next time we do some gaming.

Basically, we've played in two sessions, the first battle we played worked perfectly, but all the following ones were bugged. In the second session both games we played worked fine. We managed to pinpoint the issue as apparently having something to do with Alt+Tabbing out of the game at some point...

It seems if one of us (or maybe the host?) has Alt+tabbed before starting the game both sides will deploy in the same zone and after the game has started, the one joining the game will be able to issue commands but his units will not move and nothing will happen on his screen. After a ceasefire or surrender he will see the host player's units in their correct deployment zone, whereas the host will be seeing an entirely different set of events unfold...

Haven't found any pattern with the parameters, some MEs worked, some didn't, same with attacks...Date and conditions have been the same. I am not 100% of whether it is alt+tab specifically to blame or something else related to it.

Thanks again.

I had been wondering about that sort of thing being the issue. The QB Map setup area are the easiest goof to spot. A quick run through with the AI Editor immediately lets the designer know if he's screwed up. I've made or re-worked over 300 QB maps so I'm more than just a little familiar with what to look for. What I'm not in the least bit familiar with is TCP/IP and it's working. So I'll ask other Beta testers to delve into this.

I've done a cut paste of your comments to the Beta Test Board. Thank You for help.