CM:N for Mac!!!

jeffsmith

Hi Battlefront

Now that one project, CMSF Nato, is out of the way, thus completing the family of games for CMSF, can we be assured that Battlefront is doing something about the Mac OS version of CMSF?

We've been told several times in the past that a native Mac OS version will eventually come out but so far nothing has happened.

Will it be released soon, or only after the entire CM Normandy family comes out, or is it "nope, sorry guys, we've dropped plans for Mac OS, you're gonna have to use Windows"

Anything please!

Thanks

Danny

Heh... well, it's Afghanistan that is out of the way. We're still working on wrapping up NATO, though it won't be much longer.

Normandy will likely ship for the Mac on the same day as the PC. Other plans for the Mac are not yet fit for consumer consumption :D

Steve

This got lost in another thread

(I plead guilty to being a hijacker)

Okay, this is a pretty friggin' basic question, but I hate to ASSUME anything: will the Mac version be FULLY compatible with the PC version?

(Imagine NOT being able to play online/email/LAN unless both players have the same kind of system.)

Thanks,

Ken

Why not! The old CMx1 were perfectly compatible.

I think PBEM is not a big problem, perhaps a bit more difficult the Online, but feasible.

Steve's specific comment was something to the effect that, once they got around to porting CMx2 over to the Mac, they weren't going to deliberately do anything to "break" the game for PPC-based Macs. However, they also weren't going to devote resources to making sure the game did run on PPC Macs.

But I think Berto's comment is correct for all practical purposes. Given that any PPC Mac is going to be at least 4 years old by the time that CM:N comes out, and PPCs can't even run the latest version of OSX, I'd put the chances of PPCs being able to run a complex, graphics-intensive game like CM:N at slim to nil.

If the game could be run on a PPC chip, I'm sure the last generation Power Mac G5s would have the processing power to handle the game, but I'm not sure how many (if any) of the other PPC Mac models even have the processing/graphics horsepower necessary. Depends somewhat on how much BFC has raised the minimum system specs since CM:SF. In general , BFC makes a good effort to keep their games at least playable on older, slower systems. But I'm sure they've raised the bar at least some in CM:N.

In any event, it doesn't take much conjecture to realize that the group of people who still own & use a high-end, very late model PPC Mac *and* want to play CM is a very small market (and getting smaller every day). It really doesn't make sense for BFC to spend any effort at all here, really.

Cheers,

YD

Ask again six months from now.

:D

Michael

:( ...........

Actually, I believe now is somewhat relevant to paste this somewhat funny and old joke also somewhat related to the ongoing conversation:

George Bush goes to a primary school to talk to the kids to get a little PR. After his talk he offers question time. One little boy puts up his hand and George asks him his name.

"Stanley," responds the little boy.

"And what is your question, Stanley?"

"I have 3 questions. First, why did the USA invade Iraq without the support

of the UN? Second, why are you President when Al Gore got more votes? And third, whatever happened to Osama Bin Laden?"

Just then, the bell rings for recess. George Bush informs the kiddies that they will continue after recess.

When they resume George says, "OK, where were we? Oh, that's right question time. Who has a question?" Another little boy puts up his hand. George points him out and asks him his name.

"Steve! ," he responds.

"And what is your question, Steve?"

"Actually , I have 5 questions. First, why did the USA invade Iraq without the support of the UN? Second, why are you President when Al Gore got more votes? Third, whatever happened to Osama Bin Laden? Fourth, why did the recess bell go off 20 minutes early? And fifth, what the hell happened to Stanley?