Open GL error in SF & Afganistan!

Unfortunately I don't have a GeForce 460 to test either game with, but it may be related to newer video cards and their drivers. In other words some older video cards may not see this problem, even with the same driver version. It possible that some newer features of the hardware and the driver code that may take advantage of them isn't quite up to par at the moment and there will be nothing we can do about it from our side (if that is the case).

OpenCL is a framework for writing programs that can utilize the floating point power of the video card to do a variety of things. OpenCL and OpenGL are different. Generally speaking those OpenCL fixes probably will not affect the OpenGL issue that you're facing with the current drivers and CMSF/CMA. There may be some sort of cross-over within the video driver (allocation of resources,etc.), but I somewhat doubt that.

Me neither! I've tried all sorts. Totally unstable :( I don't know what to do really - I really enjoy the games but I'm loathed to 'downgrade' my card because I need the power for other things. Frustrating. I think making matters worse, unless Nvidia fix something you can almost guarantee we'll run into the same problems with Normandy.

Phil - I think it may be the texture detail setting, mine (neither CM:A nor CM:SF) hasn't crashed on me since I set that to minimum - I've got other details turned up high. I suspect it's something like if it loads to much into texture memory it crashes, and that turning them down low doesn't fix the problem but just makes it unlikely to occur.

It's gonna crash now just to spite me, I know. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well here's something - it might be nothing, but I sold my 460 and have bought a 470. I haven't had a single crash yet with the new card. The 460 had 1000MB of VRAM, the new 470 has 1280MB. It *might* just be related to problems with specific maps (textures) absorbing too much VRAM on the Nvidias (something to do with driver control) - hence the 470 being able to manage. I don't know, I know it's a long shot, but stranger things have happened.