Inflicting wounds/deaths?

I was playing USMC: Blues for Allah in real time using the red forces. At one point in the mission, I had 2 technical machineguns firing maybe 30-40 meters at a USMC MG team that was pinned down on pavement with no cover other than perhaps their low crawling.

Being frustrated with the inability to kill them and realizing they had no additional cover, I drove the technical almost point blank. The technical literally fired for a minute and a half and not a single person from the MG team died, then their reinforcements moved up and killed my technical.

Why couldn't a technical even the MG team at near point blank with a MG?

I am not currently involved with CM:SF beta testing, but I nevertheless dare to ask you to prepare a save game of the situation, if at all possible. I am sure that a beta tester will come along and pick it up.

Usually, nothing short of a save game will trigger a bug-fix. Charles can be very strict in this respect.

Best regards,

Thomm

Mitigating factors to consider: There is an abstracted cover bonus to represent micro terrain and piles of crap that can't be shown graphically, and especially so for prone soldiers. The US troops also have good body armour and perhaps the irregulars can't shoot very straight.

But it does sound quite screwy, especially on pavement. Close quarters combat can produce weird results sometimes in the game.

Is there a way to tell the time within the misison?

The compass in the upper right-hand corner of the screen incorporates a 24-hour clock. However, many scenario designers designate the arrival time of reinforcements a la T+50 rather than a la 1750 hours.

In playtesting my Ramadi scenarios I'm finding the vulnerability of US infantry to small arms fire to be just about right actually.

Also, keep in mind that street "pavement" includes abstracted elements like medians, curbs and gutters that can make pretty good cover (like a tiny stone wall) for prone infantry against fire from certain angles. MidEast street curbs are pretty high relative to their Western counterparts (when it rains in the desert, it RAINS)... some even have steps down to the street. In non-urban areas, most paved and unpaved roads have some kind of gradient (i.e. they're raised slightly above the surrounding terrain so water flows sideways off them), if not a drainage ditch on at least one side.

Pavement groggery....

In playtesting my Ramadi scenarios I'm finding the vulnerability of US infantry to small arms fire to be just about right actually.

Really? I still think from all I have read, numerous books (along with a family member that served, in Ramadi, actually) that in CCQ engagements red KIA on U.S. is slightly high in terms of small arms fire....and certainly RPGs accuracy is.

Yes, I definitely agree on the RPG accuracy. Also finding the Humvee gunners to be annoyingly vulnerable to long range sniper fire -- I get it that these aren't guntrucks, but sheesh! I am considering using reflagged BRDMs as guntruck stand-ins (at least they have an enclosed turret).

On the positive side (hence my comment) Marine infantry doesn't seem to take more than 1 casualty per 5 minutes of heavy incoming infantry fire when in good cover (building interiors or behind/against walls) against enemies 60-120m distant, and guys hardly ever get picked off when "dashing" the two "half squares" across the Mulaab back streets. My map, unlike most CMSF maps, has lots of blind building sides to lessen the lethality of fire and give pinned units better hiding opportunities.

Rooftops are a different matter -- you definitely don't want to have troops out there for more than a few seconds when multiple bad guys are within 100m. I feel that HIDING or SLOW moving units should get better cover up there (there's usually a stairwell and other abstracted stuff up there to hide behind, in addition to the parapet, if your guys are not actively shooting). In general, I notice that the CMSF ballistics model seems to ignore building floors for purposes of cover even though these cement/lattice slabs are the "thickest" parts of most buildings. In the real world, it's nearly impossible to kill or hurt a guy lying prone on a rooftop or higher level with small calibre bullets -- frag is essential.

Actually, when I read the title of this thread, I thought of a different item on my wish list. It's that units can render "buddy aid" to fallen enemies in their location, which removes them (and their weapons from the map) -- I get that it's likely too complicated (and unrealistic, and often undesirable) to have troops picking up enemy weapons, but this ability to "clean up" would be a useful feature. I'd argue against turning WIAs into KIAs (i.e. bayoneting the wounded), although you might award KIA-equivalent points for "prisoners", especially for RED.

Regarding roof tops - I do wish in the next update BFC will tweak coverage back up somewhat with regard to rooftop protection - By all accounts US forces used roof tops quite often and took very little damage when doing so (in regard to the amount of small arms/ RPG fire put back at them).

Regarding roof tops - I do wish in the next update BFC will tweak coverage back up somewhat with regard to rooftop protection - By all accounts US forces used roof tops quite often and took very little damage when doing so (in regard to the amount of small arms/ RPG fire put back at them).

+1, although increased protection should be strictly limited to infantry bullets -- clearing rooftops is why God made grenade launchers. The parapets are comparatively thin-walled, but there's usually a stairwell or HVAC shed or pigeon coop and other junk to give cover too. And if you lie prone you're more or less invulnerable to bullets from anywhere but above (you just can't see much).

But I think we're shouting into the wind on these issues, my friend.