Are all CMSF small arms supposed to sound the same?

I just watched the vid for the NATO exp pack. Once again the small arms seem to sound the same. I have been playing the British campaign and it seems all small arms and even the larger are the same. Was this done because of performance or have I just not played enough to notice the different arms sounds?

They deffo sound different to me, the SA-80 family sounds as whimpy as it usually does in video games, whereas the M-16 and M-4 sound a lot meatier.

Also there's a deffo difference between the red small arms and blue small arms. Don't forget blue uses standardised ammunition so they're allways going to sound at least similar.

Just ran a quick test. The SA-80 definitely sounds different to the M-16/M-4, the differences between the M-16 and the M-4 are definitely more subtle but they are there.

Where you might be getting confused is when the SAW/MINIMI fires, these are virtually the same weapon so its no surprise they sound very similar.

the machine guns are what was sounding similar to me for sure. I will try listening to the PK and mag58.

Thanks for doing the test. The saw I certainly knew was a rebadged minimi.

When i am on the battlefield for some reason I expected the weapons to really stand out differently. I barely notice a difference at all. I will carry out my own tests to be sure.

If you have played close combat you will know what I mean. Perhaps cmsf just make most weapons sound similar if you hear them a long way off.

I think the game (or one of the patches?) comes with RezExplode. You can unpack the game and listen to the individual weapons sound files. Listening to weapons being fired on YouTube, the sound that can comes from one weapon type is all over the map. From a simple 'pop' to a huge 'BOOM' reverberating off surrounding hillsides.

I recall they had some difficulty with the engine sounds for the Challenger MBT. Most-every sound sample you locate of the tank sounds like a cat in a blender with a few ball bearings throw in. :D

A sound mod is pretty much a must.

BFC tends to have really feeble sounding small arms fire in particular. They need to Hollywood it up a little. Every time I hear the sound of a video with native sounds I cringe.

Except vehicle sounds, they are just annoyingly loud for something you get to hear pretty much every minute of the game. I really don't need to hear it that much, that loud.