Whats wrong with this picture?

Ok while testing to see if the max/min gun elevation bug has been fixed (the minimum elevation seems to be ok on the bradley, but the max elevation on the M1 is still wrong, you get 120mm rounds firing at a 45 degree angle to the barrel) I noticed this

CMShockForce2010-05-2011-50-30-04.jpg

Known bug or just a quirck of the the game engine?

It not a bug or a quirk, but one of the inevitable compromises that are made in any combat simulation.

Putting in min/max gun elevation is straightforward, the issue is more programming the AI to be aware of it and work around it.

For example, say a T-72 wants to fire at a squad on top of a building, but cannot because of max gun elevation. A Human player will know he has to back up the tank or move it to a higher elevation somewhere else so he can take the shot. How do you program the AI intelligently so it can take these decisions?

The lack of min/max gun elevation is only a problem in rare occasions.

There was a thread on this a while back:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=90522&highlight=gun+elevation

Yes i've brought up the gun elevation thing in a seperate thread, this post was regarding the fact that the bradley seems to be magnetically attatched to the side of the cliff ;)

ah yes, I posted my answer in the wrong thread. :o

Is the Brad stationary or moving? Normally, when the elevation angle is too great, the editor produces a "cliff" tile which is impassable by vehicles.

As an afficianado of the "Roadrunner" series of animated artwork, I have to ask: if you zoom in to the front of the Bradley, is there a small branch growing out of the cliff? I have found that frequently the Coyote finds such protuberances and is able to retard its inevitable plunge by a few precious moments. This may be what we're seeing in this screenshot.

;)

Actually, I've seen something like this before but I'm not sure if the conditions for this are the same. If you put a road or a trench on an otherwise impassable surface, it will allow vehicles and troops to move down the slope.

What terrain is the cliff made up of?

Oho! I was too quick off the mark there. I just duplicated your screenshot using Bradleys (with ERA if that's a factor). Hang on a sec longer and I'll see if it happens with other vehicles in the game.

Just ran a check using Strykers, including the MGS variant and they all did the 'duck tail in the air' stunt

I'll post my test as a bug and we'll see what BFC says. Very good catch.

A serious question: as long as vehicles can be placed in this manner, is it possible for units on the plateau to hit the underbellies of the vehicles? My question is purely for testing the penetration of the thin underbelly armor and see how it is modelled. Would a 14.5 Dshka at 100m penetrate? Etc.

Ken

Apparently, you were chosen as the beta tester for the new Al Gore/Issac Newton Terrain Feature.

As we all know the glaciers are melting in Greenland. As the glaciers melt Greenland is actually rising. Take these 2 facts and apply Newtons 3rd Law of Physics - for every action there is a reaction. All the land around this monolith, sank rapidly to make up fro the rise in and around Greenland. We can infer from the picture somewhere in Greenland there is a single remaining glacier the shape of a really massive ice cube.