North African Strategy

Hello,

I'm playing the Axis in the 1939 devour the world scenario. I'm learning that this game has a bit more challenge to the Axis player.

I've figured out that attacking Poland, Benelux, Norway, Denmark (not even a fight), and France are a almost a cake walk to take. The difficulty comes after the fall of France.

I figured I'd use the opportunity to kick the brits out of Eygpt and win the North African War. Boy, was I in for a surprise unlike any wargames I've ever played on this Theater.

I brought near the entire German army to North Africa. Little did I know I trapped them. Supplies is limited to the Axis Libya and the little Island of Malta makes it worse. Hmmm, It seems It would be impossible to take Africa without taking Malta first. Furthermore, once in North Africa they couldn't sea transport back. I was doomed by the time the Russian's jumped in.

Also, Egypt is like a fortress. The Qattara Depression holds the German army back to a single tile bordering Tobruk.

So, anyone playing this new game mastered how to take North Africa yet? Inquiring minds want to know.

Cheers,

Geofighter:)

Hello - yes, N. Africa is very difficult when playing as Axis. Especially after UK fortifies tile behind El Alamein.

My preferred approach? I ignore N. Africa all together...not worth it. Use you production points to beef up for Barbarossa...keep Italian navy close to home, and place troops on mountainaous terrain in Sicily.

Cheers...

Canada1

I would rather opt for Greece as a Step to Egypt: if you get 2 Paratroops for mid 40, you can invade Greece, and make it surrender in 1 turn ( Airborne from South Italy ), then you have Crete as Location for 2 Tacs or at least 1 Airborne, these can be helpful for Alexandria.

C1 has got it....forgettaboutit, concentrate on Barbarossa if UK player didn't allow Sealion. Later when things may be looking good in USSR(get started early) buy the Rockets and research them. Put them in Sicily and have at it, builds great experience and when you get a chance supplement them with an HQ and then a high experienced TAC from the East Front, Malta will melt away and Africa will be open.

In the historical campaign.....Africa is a trap until at least 42.

The secret to N. Africa for me when I played the '39 game on intermediate/+1 were these 4 things:

1. Declare war on Spain and take Gibraltar: It blocks off the Mediterranean and is relatively easy to do because much of your Army will already be in France

2. Upgrade the Italian ships to +1 naval. This beefs up your navy for the fight in the Med. Once upgrades are complete you can then sortie your Italian navy (plus a German sub or two if you think you might need it)

3. Have a high-ranking German general in N. Africa (I use Rommel). This has a very important effect on supply and unit's effectiveness

4. Invest in intelligence at the start of the game. This will speed up the rate of all your other tech advances and ensure you have a tech lead in at least one of the following: air power, infantry, armor, or bombers (antitank). I got a few lucky rolls and had armor +2 and infantry +2 by the time I started fighting in N. Africa in '42.

I used Rommel plus 2 tanks, 1 infantry, 1 tac. bomber, and 1 fighter (All German) to roll through N. Africa from late '41 through '42. I was in Iraq by the time I stopped the game because my lead across the globe was too big on land (and too weak on seas).

Always hit the "s" key to see your supply situation. Place your planes on squares with high supply. Attack your armor from squares with high supply and have your general immediately behind the armor and in between the armor and planes to maximize all units supply. Use the Italian navy to bombard stubborn units that won't give up...after they have won the war for the Mediterranean.

Also i just landed on syria and flanked them that works well

I find this strategy is best for a quick victory. I use the pincer coming from Syria and El Alamein. Sometimes you can even send some units around the Qattara Depression for a third attack position but it's tricky getting thru the desert and the UK armor is sneaky.

Also I forget the name of it but once you have the port on the Red Sea by landing troops in Syria you can amphib. over some troops to hit Cairo and destroy UK air power.

The trick is not putting too many units in N. Africa as it makes moving logistics a nightmare. Also, I do this as quick as possible before Malta starts gumming up my supply lines.

Is there anyway to stop Malta from cutting Axis supply besides taking it???

buy four tac bombers and move the Italian one to the tip of Italy. Then bomb Malta

How do you manage to get the Italian tac bomber out of Abyssinia? Sorry if it sounds a dumb question but I tried to get it out of there and wasnt able!

If the Tac bomber has available action points and a minimum supply of 3, i.e. this is the minimum supply value needed to operate air units in game, then if you right click on the unit and select 'Operate' it should highlight all the available tiles that you can then move this unit to including mainland Italy.

If the Tac bomber has available action points and a minimum supply of 3, i.e. this is the minimum supply value needed to operate air units in game, then if you right click on the unit and select 'Operate' it should highlight all the available tiles that you can then move this unit to including mainland Italy.

Thanks Hubert!