Anyone have a red dot sight?

I bought a red dot sight and flashlight combo for my 9mm. Got it at our monthly gun show here in town.

No complaints so far. I hear green is the new red though. Green laser light is supposed to be better.

Only trouble is I am spoiled by video games. In games the bullet goes wherever the dot is. In real life, you can place the dot, but trigger squeeze and grip still determine where the round will land. I need more practice.

About $100 for this one.

http://www.ncstar-sales.com/proddetail.asp?prod=NC_ATPFLS

Good luck.

Actually I have on my PAV70 (a single shot .22 pistol) an Oakshore Electronics Micro DOT LER-scope (with 1,5-4,5x20 magnification).

It has a little red "micro dot" that can be turned on at low light conditions.

And a really good scope too!

Hawkmek....<sigh>....where to begin?

I hear green is the new red though.

No, green is...well, GREEN. Sorry about that but anything that is the new something versus that something makes me wanna go all Hulk and smash stuff.

That aside do you own a NCStar sight? The ar15 cot com site members seem to have a special hate for NCStar products but I have no personal exposure to them.

No I don't have an NCStar site. I bought the laser and flashlight combo at the Gun Show kind of spur of the moment.

Afterward I went online and found that NCstar was not that popular with the gun community.

It's fine for me though. I am not firing hundreds of rounds every weekend.

Mike, you don't like my tag?

"Hawkmek....<sigh>....where to begin?"

I was a HAWK Mechanic in the Army, hence the name.

Kinda corny, I know, in this day and age of WoW and other games but I have been using it for 16 years now.

Your handle is great! It could apply to so many.

Green is the new red until blue is the new green and whatever else the marketers tell the obedient consumers.

Remember when eggs were good, then they were bad.

Coffee was bad, no wait then it was good.

Consume

Consume

Consume

I only have experience with cheap Airsoft replicas, in small scale airsoft battles, but I'll pitch in anyway.

The green dot is way more visible than the red in daylight conditions, Although I still prefer the holographic reticle sights, my favorite one being a "T" projection. I usually "lose" the red dot a lot, the green sometimes, and the reticles never. Basically, the red dot is a bit faster than iron sights, the green a whole lot faster, and the reticles are just point and shoots.

And as for video games, I actually dislike how movement slows down when aiming down these kinds of sights. I could actually move pretty fast and still shoot accurately at ranges of 5-20m (anything beyond that and the BB's lose a lot of energy and have to be lobbed in big arcs). From my limited experience using a vanilla M16 (The rifle, not the halftrack), this should hold true for 5.56mm weapons just as long as you know how to shoot properly and you don't shoot full auto. I do understand that they have to do it for game balance, but I could think of some other ways how to make holographic projection sights balanced.

• 6 months later...

up from the depths....

Well, it has been some time but this is what I ended up with.

Spike's Tactical 16" upper:

IMG_0978.jpg

Built out my pre-ban Olympic Arms stripped lower with Daniel Defense parts, Magpul grip and stock:

IMG_0977.jpg

And after much internal debate found a killer deal on this Aimpoint CompM2 through the Equipment Exchange on a certain AR15 website.

Now the waiting begins.....again....

Here on the Left Coast, we have various laws governing what you can, or can NOT, own. Mostly cosmetic and anything that holds more than 10 rounds of ammo with the capability of a detachable magazine. But, of course, the wily citizens of the People's Republic of Kalifornia have found ways to still own AKs, ARs and the like.

Sadly, one third of the guns I own can not be passed on to my child(ren) unless they live out of this state. Nevada is starting to look pretty good right about now.

Here on the Left Coast, we have various laws governing what you can, or can NOT, own. Mostly cosmetic and anything that holds more than 10 rounds of ammo with the capability of a detachable magazine. But, of course, the wily citizens of the People's Republic of Kalifornia have found ways to still own AKs, ARs and the like.

Tell me about it. I sigh every time I see that weeny 10-round mag and magazine lock on my Romanian AK.