Attack? storm? move?

If you select a squad, left-clicking on any of these (attack/storm/move) and right-click on the ground, what exactly are differences between these three, how the soldiers are approaching? and...does the different stances you can choose influence the tanks in any way?

I really cant tell what difference any of these options have, except for the crawling. They way infantry is modeled is my biggest gripe. I like to move tank out in front and click my infantry on a tank while its moving. by doing this the infantry follows the tanks - that's my favorite tactic. otherwise, using infantry in any other way is almost a pain as they either die quickly or they fall far behind my armor and have no real impact on the battle...

When told to move they will take no notice of the enemy and simply proceed to the location. (Infantry will move on the double)

When they are told to Assault (storm), which is the default movement order when you right-click, they will move in short bursts and stop to fire. (or fire on the move if experienced enough)

If you simply tell them to attack a target it depends on whether you have given them permission to move or not. If not, they will only attack when the target is in sight and then ignore it after it's moved out of sight. If they are allowed to move freely they will keep going after it, but they don't seem to take cover or try to keep concealed, they move as the crow flies and often this results in them being caught out in the open and getting taken out.

And if you order to Attack a ground spot, not the enemy, your unit(s) will move&attack there similarly to default Assault order, but more cautiously (engaging enemy have higher priority over advancing contrary to Assault command).

It would be useful to have this in the manual i think.

@ Tartari:

I use the same kind of trick when it looks like there is a high chance of friendly fire; only, i switch the "fire" button to "do not fire" mode. I think your trick is better, as you don't have to allow your troops to fire again after they finished their move (they will start to fire again on their own when they've completed their move order).

And if you order to Attack a ground spot, not the enemy, your unit(s) will move&attack there similarly to default Assault order, but more cautiously (engaging enemy have higher priority over advancing contrary to Assault command).

I don't really understand this. I would be expecting my troops to start firing at the ground spot I designated if they've line of fire or move toward that spot until they've line of fire, then start to fire at the designated spot. This seems to have several drawbacks: waste of ammunition (unit firing at an empty spot) and loss of stealth (my units positions will become known to the enemy as the sound of their shooting would make them noticeable)

I've noticed indeed that the infantry has better survivability when it attacks a ground spot rather than a target directly in one particular instance:

I had two soldiers with AT grenades close to an ennemy halftrack that was decimating my infantry ambushed in buildings. The first soldier l ordered to attack with selecting the AT grenade as its primary weapon and clicking the fire button on the halftrack. He assaulted the ennemy vehicle by rushing forward, but was spotted and killed outright by the machine gunner. The second soldier, I ordered to throw its AT grenade at the halftrack by targeting a ground spot under it. He indeed advanced more cautiously than the first one by sneaking untill the vehicle was in range, and made a perfect throw and destroyed the halftrack. At the time, I just thought that it was either a result of one of the guys being more experienced, or just pure luck.

Also, I've an other question/comment regarding targeting a ground spot. I'm often giving the order to a squad to start firing at a spot where I suspect ennemy might be hiding, in the hope that the bullet landing near them will force them to move to cover and hopefully make them reveal themselves. Would this be effective, or am I just dreaming? This is also useful to take down ennemy who have revealed their position, but that you don't see anymore. I've been able to attack At gun hiding in bushes successfully like this by hitting the crew with MG fire, even if I didn't have line of sight. That's also usefull for attacking infantry that's trying to hide.

don't really understand this. I would be expecting my troops to start firing at the ground spot I designated if they've line of fire or move toward that spot until they've line of fire, then start to fire at the designated spot. This seems to have several drawbacks: waste of ammunition (unit firing at an empty spot) and loss of stealth (my units positions will become known to the enemy as the sound of their shooting would make them noticeable)

I believe what Sneaksie was saying is, you use the "attack" command, not the "attack ground" command.

Meaning you select your troops, and tell them to "attack" anything and everything till they reach the location. Sort of like a "move and attack" command, as they used to have for Starcraft and other old RTS games.

As for the comment about the grenades, i've noticed that too. It seems the best way to use grenades (other than letting the infantry do it themselves, which has deffinately improved) is to throw at the ground nearby. When i simply select the grenade and then do as you said, tell them to attack an enemy, they'll almost always get cut down before getting close enough to throw it.

I've had a bit of success with the blindfiring at suspected enemy locations, i'm not sure if it's able to scare them into revealing themselves but it does occasionally kill some :).

Also quite an effective technique with AT guns that have alot of HE shells.

But i think this would be more useful when playing against a human opponent, as they wouldn't know that you didn't actually have LOS they may be forced to get up and run.