Driving - fast

The best stages used to be the ones in Morrocco where you couldn't even see the road for the crowds of people scattering out of ther way.

I also love this one Crazy Finns Crashing. Some of the best motorsport drivers in the world are Finns. Here are the ones that didn't make the grade. Watch for the quaint Finnish custom of wildly clapping and cheering whenever someone has a really huge wreck. Also watch for the few sequences where three or four cars end up coming off at the same place, leaving a junkyard in the paddock of some poor farmer.

• 2 weeks later...

i miss group B. it was a spectacle, it was the closest fans could get to motorsport and it was thrilling even when only watched in TV. not only becouse of the many "near misses" of spectators but that in combination with the power of the cars and stages. heck its rally on partly very loose surface with turbocharged 400PS to 600PS cars that got so fast they started adding wings and spoilers on rally cars to generate downforce to keep em on the road.

sadly the nature of the stages raced does make crowd control hard, even if you "wanted" to try to do it, and group B WRC races attracted a LOT of people compared to todays classes.

maybe this is comparable in the USA with the IMSA GT or GTO series, i like to watch 15 to 20 year old clips of it on youtube. great cars, massive acceleration and drivers with balls. that gets the crowd hot and me too :D

i like to watch the IMSA GT clips/races as i watch group B rally clips and 70ies and 80ies F1 videos on youtube. everything in classic motor sport disciplines we see today was already available 20 to 30 years ago, but safty regulations and available technology needed drivers with nerves of steel and bull balls(no electronics help and early 80ies where the dawn of aerodynamics wich saw massive boots of power to the cars as result).

try to catch this stuff on youtube as long as it is still available. children in 40 years may see rally cars hovering over the stage in stead of driving or nascar´s going in "rails" around the track, at that point you should be able to pass on what motor sport was once all about :D EDIT: have to edit here that i dont think, in this case rally, that it will ever get as popular as between 1980 and 1990. group B was shut down 1986 i think and from there it went downhill :(

cheers

The recently broadcast WRC had plenty of not just audience members but broadcasters and officials in jeopardy. Some of the crashes were spectacular (notably Portugal), but for sheer terror, nothing could touch the horses appearing out of nowhere in the forest and crossing the road. Am amazed neither horses nor drivers ate it in that one! For an American crash fest, nothing can touch the disastrous Indy 500 that looked like a demolition derby and was prominently featured in a documentary called Jabberwalk when I saw it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0141901/plotsummary

Regards,

John Kettler

The best stages used to be the ones in Morrocco where you couldn't even see the road for the crowds of people scattering out of ther way.

I also love this one Crazy Finns Crashing. Some of the best motorsport drivers in the world are Finns. Here are the ones that didn't make the grade. Watch for the quaint Finnish custom of wildly clapping and cheering whenever someone has a really huge wreck. Also watch for the few sequences where three or four cars end up coming off at the same place, leaving a junkyard in the paddock of some poor farmer.

There seems to be quite a few sequences of half a dozen crashes in exactly the same spot.

The way the crowd was clapping it almost looks like the crashing was the objective and they are scored on points.