Hi, Major

Michael Emrys

It's been a long time, but I hope you won't mind indulging my curiosity for a moment. I was wondering what was the last version of TO that would run on a Mac. I got my first copy in 1994 and played it and another one or two versions over the next five years almost daily.

Count me as a happy customer.

:)

Michael

Hey Michael, good to hear from you.

Its not the version of TacOps, but rather the version of Macintosh that is germane.

Older Macs (with or without OSX) that can run or dual boot OS9 can still run the current Mac version of TacOps4. Most of those machines are now in closets and garages.

The newer Intel Macs, that can only run OSX native Mac programs, can not run the current Mac version of TacOps4 but they can run the current Windows version of TacOps4 if the Mac user has installed Windows on his Mac.

The Mac OS9 version of TacOps4 is no longer listed on the Battlefront storefront as being for sale but it is still on the hybrid CDROM that is shipped to Windows buyers. At least until the current warehouse stock is exhausted. Which may be a while as almost all current purchases are by digital download.

Older Macs (with or without OSX) that can run or dual boot OS9 can still run the current Mac version of TacOps4. Most of those machines are now in closets and garages.

Mine was wrecked in a fire about three years ago. It now sits in a storage locker sans its HD which I was able to salvage.:(

The newer Intel Macs, that can only run OSX native Mac programs...

As it happens, I am stuck somewhere in the middle. I have a G5 that only runs OSX. :(:(

...can not run the current Mac version of TacOps4 but they can run the current Windows version of TacOps4 if the Mac user has installed Windows on his Mac.

Perish the thought! :eek: But, yes, it may eventually come to that as the few remaining games I can run on my current setup disappear.

Thanks for the reply, Major. I may drop in from time to time to see how things are going.

:)

Michael

Just in case it might be of interest, here are some photos I took the day after the fire.

http://writerscooperative.com/v-web/gallery/album04

The Mac itself is on the left in the first pic and looked at first undamaged. But the heat had warped the plastic casing and may have damaged some of the internal components. I never tried to run it again. I really loved that computer and it broke my heart.

Michael

Just in case it might be of interest, here are some photos I took the day after the fire.

http://writerscooperative.com/v-web/gallery/album04

The Mac itself is on the left in the first pic and looked at first undamaged. But the heat had warped the plastic casing and may have damaged some of the internal components. I never tried to run it again. I really loved that computer and it broke my heart.

Michael

All is not lost.

There are products such as "sheepshaver" that emulation Mac OS 9 on "OS X only boxes", refer:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060509180914879&lsrc=osxh

(Of course I'm lucky enough to retain both my 1GHz G4 PowerBook and a G4 desktop box just for running TacOps and the CMx1 series of games). :)

Of course it would be nice if the good Major could tear himself away from his canoe and his rattlesnakes and roll out TacOps 5 for OS X (and I guess Windows 7 - if you really have to).

Hello Major - I, too, have played many a game of Tac Ops on my macs over the years, and was disappointed when it no longer was available for OSX.

What are the chances of you being able to release a version that will run on the Intel Macs? After all - Apple doesn't plan to release any more OS 9 machines. :) Do you plan to, or have you permanently switched to PCs at this point? Thanks - I've been a fan from the beginning.

Rick

Hello Major - I, too, have played many a game of Tac Ops on my macs over the years, and was disappointed when it no longer was available for OSX.

Rick

That's the problem, its never been available for OS X.

It doesn't run in "Classic" (Mac OS 9 from withing OS X), but requires the machine to be booted into Mac OS 9.

If it were available for OS X there wouldn't be a problem.

Well...there might be a conflict of requirements between the Intel machines and the rapidly aging Motorola machines like mine...

:(

Michael

Sorry yes I didn't cover all the issues about "carbon" vs "native" etc.

Certainly if it written "just" for Intel (which I suspect would be the case as that's "most" of the current market [present company accepted :)] and all new machine purchases for the foreseable future) then you may well have a problem.

> What are the chances of you being able to release a version that will run on the Intel Macs?

> Do you plan to, or have you permanently switched to PCs at this point?

I am not currently working on the hobby version of TacOps for either the Mac or the PC. However, the unfinished hobby v5 code is still on both of my dev machines and it is right where I left it two years ago - when i got supremely pissed off by it, Apple, and Microsoft .

Just before the blow-up I had a more or less working Mac Carbon version. When/if I continue that work I will likely remove the non-Intel code bits.

I just paid Apple $540 for another year of ADC membership so I have not given up completely. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Emrys,

Sorry about your cyber disaster! Maybe this'll help!

http://lowendmac.com/dealers/index.shtm

I got my 17" snowball dual boot iMac from Power Max, but this one I got from the local Mac repair place after mine eventually died years later of motherboard failure and other complications. I simply moved all my expensive memory and larger HD into the refurbished chassis of the one the Mac dealer had. I've seen several CM capable Macs in thrift stores for next to nothing, so that might be worth checking out. Your comment about BFC's rapidly dwindling Mac game options was precisely on target. Sad, but on target!

Major H,

Appreciate your observation re available Mac version of Tac Ops, but hope you'll do an OS X version. At the rate you're going, yours will be done before we ever see an OS X version of CMSF! As for that expensive Apple developer's membership, I used to know a guy at Rockwell who was a certifed LISA dev!

Regards,

John Kettler

Hi Major,

I was wondering if there is a way to set up reinforcements in a custom game? Or just to have units come onto the map at different times or points? I'm using v4.06. Also a side note to that question, in a two player network game is there a way to add in new units after the first combat phase has been started?

great game my dad and I have been playing for quite sometime, we bought our first copy at the px on hickam afb. if that tells you anything.

I was wondering if there is a way to set up reinforcements in a custom game? Or just to have units come onto the map at different times or points?

One thing I used to do is place them on a map edge behind some blocking terrain where they could neither see or be seen by enemy units. Then don't give them any movement orders until the turn when you want them to come in.

Michael

Normally that is what I would do. However the question came up while I was launching a Div. + sized opposed amphibious operation on map 502. I was using the setup zone on the western border there nothing there to really hide behind. Also we like to use on board arty whenever possible, so we can do some counter battery fire missions. so that strip was pretty well full already. :)