Sliding Troops?

bowen42

For even greater realism, I propose -- nay, demand! -- for the next patch the addition of a small cloud of dust and a scree-ee-ee-tch, followed by an "Ulp!" from either Scooby or Shaggy.

Then when they run away, they should frantically run in place for a moment with their legs windmilling around in a circle, together with a sound of.... well, I can't really describe it.... ping pong balls being shaken inside coconuts?

Ah, Hanna Barbera, how we miss thee....

bowen42:

This issue has been around since the game's launch and continues to be, even at this late stage of development, a rather rough edge associated with WEGO playback.

In an extreme and admittedly rare example, I have even seen instances of infantry models leaving the ground and hovering to their waypoint as late as v1.20. Simply put, Steve explained that this, along with a few other visual misrepresentations I reported, were likely due to my processor (E6850, dual core, 3 Ghz) lacking the horsepower to execute the program adequately given the amount of detail being rendered in-game at a given moment. That's not the answer I wanted to or thought I would hear, but I reckon the man knows how the code makes sacrifices in order to keep things moving far better than I.

I don't know were addressing this would fall on BFC's scale of "effort vs. return," but it would be a great touch in making the infantry feel truly connected to their environment and clear up a long standing incongruency.

Hmmm... well, I am aware of some instances of what is commonly called "Skating" in game circles. This is an unfortunately side effect of not having the fidelity of animations and body motion AI that a real Human has. Check out FPS games with tens of millions of Dollars in development and I bet you'll see some of the same behavior. It's just too difficult to get rid of, so I know for sure our little guys do it from time to time.

Having said that, just a few days ago a new animation was introduced into the game that should lessen the "Skating" effect somewhat. I haven't seen it in action so I don't know what impact it will have, but I presume it will have some.

Completely separate from this is what Peter Panzer reported in the thread he linked to. That's definitely not something that the game is explicitly doing, therefore it is likely hardware related. Pressure on the processor to perform too much at one time has the processor reduce fidelity in order to cope with the requests for computations. I don't think I've ever seen anybody other than Peter Panzer have this problem since his post, and perhaps even earlier. I really think Bown42's issue is "Skating", which is definitely visible in the game from time to time.

Steve

Steve,

The larger question is one of copyright infringement, surely? Who skated first? Your CMSF soldiers or those two guys in that battle buddy FPS where you can spend oodles of money on guaranteed to be seen from way out garish armored face masks? In the latter case, I'm pretty sure it's a feature, seeing as how it's described in the manual under "Sliding into cover" or something like that.

Regards,

John Kettler