An idea outside the box..

First let me apologize if this post is not directly in regard to CMSF but the audience here is exactly whom I wish to get opinions from.

I have been a gamer for most of my 47 years and especially enjoy games such as CMSF. The ability to plan and order your units then watch them respond is very rewarding.

I assume that many of you would probably not be into first person shooters like Modern Warfare, etc because of the arcade aspects and also the immaturity of many of the players that populate the public servers and private gaming groups.

For the most part many of us that play CMSF, and other similar games, are older folks and really enjoy taking the time to plan a mission, give orders, and watch the action unfold without actually becoming one of the soldiers to do so.

I have never been much of a shooter game person (although from time to time it helps release some stress) ; however, I am involved quite a bit in Arma/Arma2 online with real people . I like it because of the realism it brings to my virtual battlefield and the unpredictability of actual humans controlling the soldiers, tanks, etc..

So, what if you could combine both? I am currently working on developing a gaming group that puts as much importance into the mission planning stage as the actual playing the mission. In my experience most of the first person gaming groups simply load up a mission..someone decides who goes where and maybe a bit of tactics are used but then they are set loose and what happens happens. Usually it ends when all of the enemy are dead or the good guys are all dead.

Would it not be great if you could do all the mission planning that we all enjoy doing and then, instead of watching the AI controlled men, vehicles, etc. carry it out the way you envisioned, have real humans occupying these soldier and vehicles. Then the choice of whether you take part in the conduct of the mission yourself or (as in CMSF) give the orders as the mission progresses in response to changes in the tactical situation is yours.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

squishall

I'm sorry for not really answering your question ;)

But I do too enjoy Arma2 a lot, previously OPF was a nice one apart from other tactical shooters like raven shield.

I have difficulty finding nice games to play with cooperatively in Arma2. There are some initiatives (for example tangodown.nl for dutch players) here and there, but none of them seem to be online when I play the game. I can't be bothered to really 'join' a 'clan' or some sort. However when I play a game I'm eager to cooperate with other players.

So in the end I end up on massive 'berzerk' servers were the gameplay is like the title :(

No then MW2 is better; i have found it quite satisfactory for 'release stress' as you say it. There is nothing above knifing the killer of your teammate and see a large 'AVENGER' come up :D

So if you know of any open servers hosting dominantly serious players playing arma2, please let me know :)

Squishall sounds like you want what most of us mature older men want when it comes to games.Like me you sound like you want a Battlefield simulation where people take it seriously as tho they were living it out.

That's a very hard thing to find but for me i found it in the arma days.Im unable to play arma2 because my graphics card is no more good with all these new fancy graphical games coming out but when i get an upgrade and arma 2 ill tell u where id end up.

Tactical Gamer

Tactical Gamer was a very good server.Very well organized ,very well lead and it involves people who are mature and more then willing to work as a team and do coordinated attacks under someones command.

They use mics and They would plan what to do before the mission starts at the brief and often use the 1 life method and no spawn.It made for some very real and intense moments with movie like immersion and missions that lasted for hours.If you want to command humans in a Battlefield simulation then there's where you want to be.You can be the commander of the whole mission and form a plan or be the squad lead leading your troops as you take orders from command or be just a plain old grunt.Its not really a clan just people with a common realism goal.

I'm not big on MP play and i to am not into the arcadish style of play that most war games have.Arma is actually the only online game i play but by far that was the best times i had when it came to team play.It was just awesome.

Now they moved to Armed Assault 2 and are no longer with arma1 so i can no longer play with them until i upgrade.

The site is tacticalgamer.com and i strongly recommend you check it out or jump into 1 of their servers.I heard they are picking up momentum with arma2 and are running a very good server like they always did.There was also one called shacktactical but i never played with them so i don't know how they are.

Tactical Gamer was usually open up to public and people would join up and jump right into squad play.On Sundays they have some special event mission where only members can get in but it could all be changed now or it could still be the same.They were also mentioned in some magazine that helped give them more recruits for arma2.

I hope thats what you are looking for because in my opinion there was nothing else that came close to that teamplay.I lead a couple missions myself and some squads and trust me my man,it was exactly what i wanted and what your saying.To come up with a plan, then watch as 20-30+ people run it and adapt to new orders was amazing to say the least. It was Battlefield Simulation at its realist and finest and i could probably say more about it but you should check them out for yourself.Very fun times.

On a funnier note tho i always thought that running a human convoy in arma would have been easier then running a AI convoy.Man was i wrong.The humans go off road and mess up turns and run into buildings more then the AI did LOL.But it was still fun.

I've played ArmA with the SimHQ folks a few times, great time indeed. I haven't gotten around to playing ArmA 2 much online yet.

Details here: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2498856/Want_to_Play_Armed_Assault_2_a.html#Post2498856

I remember playing Red Orchestra with a sorta cross-clans meet-up night, invite only. Didn't have to be in a clan, just needed the invite. It was great since didn't have to join a clan to get the great clan gameplay/teamwork.

When Charles finally gets the multiple player per side code hashed out for CMSF you will be able to experience the "joys" of misunderstood orders and badly timed supporting fires in CMSF, as well.

Is this still a planned feature? I thought it was scrapped awhile ago or at least shelved until CMSF2.

This thread brought back memories of commanding 64 players in OFP with a paper map. If you wanted to see where that last ATGM came from, no god-like replay, you had to stick your head out with a pair of binoculars.

As far as ArmA goes, Shacktac and Tactical Gamer are the big groups, there's also a bunch of smaller groups out there.

Personally I've been a long time member of the 502nd (now 1-75th CAV). We make our own niffty mod packs :D.

http://www.atasteofwar.com/

Also if you like a bit more realism and functionality, the ACE2 beta was just released.

Another great game for this sort of thing is steel beasts pro, especially with the very "hardcore" community.

Man i gotta get a new video card and Arma 2.There's no more good arma1 mp games anymore and i feel like I'm going through some kind of mp withdrawal phase.

That's all i need for computer games,a game like shock force and a game like Armed Assault and occasionally a game like BCT commander. I wouldn't want anything else unless they are improved versions of these genres or all mashed into 1 game.

Its a little off track but i cant wait to have a go at some more paintball war and firefights.That's where the good old human teamwork is really at when it comes to war games.

Those are Fun times that need to be re-lived.