CMSF basic or deluxe?

I was a CMBB and CMAK fanatic for a couple of years, but now want to go on to the latest level of this system. Would have done it sooner, but other demands on my time got in the way, then I got a new computer (and didn't reinstall CMBB or CMAK), started playing the ukulele, got a dog, etc., etc. Time to return to the fold.

Newbie questions: aside from the map and mousepad, what is the difference between basic and deluxe versions? Does the basic version come with a printed manual?

Is it worth getting the Marine/Brits add-ons immediately, or should I wait until I've got some familiarity with the system?

I was highly torn between CMSF and Theatre of War, but the RTS component of TOW makes me cautious (and limits some MP play). I like the chess-like stratey style of CM games and the opportunity for PBEM.

PS. I notice the sale price for the basic version says $35 but the delivery options say $45. is that a mistake?

FWIW, I bought the deluxe... The mousepad is sitting next to me right now. Your call on how much a mousepad is worth to you. The map is, um, not useful for any game related purpose. My vote would be for the basic version (unless you want BF.C to record a better bottom line, then go for deluxe. Help 'em out if you want.) As for the modules, are you kidding me? How could that even be a question? Get them.

Enjoy,

Ken

PS. I notice the sale price for the basic version says $35 but the delivery options say $45. is that a mistake?

No, just a little confusing in that the dropdown menu shows you the unadjusted price, but once you click it, it will show you the correct (lower) price. Hopefully one day I'll get around to actually fixing this. It's not a bug as such, but it sure is confusing.

I'd hold off on buying everything at once. Have you tried the demo yet? Do you have much interest in the modern war setting? I know for me, and many others, this was the main reason and not necessarily the bugs in the beginning as to why my CMSF collected dust. I just couldn't get into the modern war setting compared to the WWII lovefest.

But I did start to play at 1.10 and never looked back.

A little of topic but...

Can you imagine how "light" the rifle teams firepower is going to feel and look in CM:N after seeing all the M-4's ripping from a whole platoon in CM:SF?!?!?

Hehe, yep, looking forward to it too. Especially that telltale sound of "Ping" at the end of a clip for the M1 Garand. ;)

I'd hold off on buying everything at once. Have you tried the demo yet? Do you have much interest in the modern war setting?

Yes, I do, although I'd be more interested in seeing some 56-67-73 scenarios for that region (Arab-Israeli wars).

I have an interest in various areas of military history - Napoleonic and WWII at the top of my attention. Modern warfare offers some additional challenges - I play some of the new modern FPS like Flashpoint and COD. But I want strategy, not merely tactics. And I liked the CM:BB game style so much. This seems a natural upgrade (until CM:BB2 arrives...).

But does the basic version have a printed manual?

Yes, I do, although I'd be more interested in seeing some 56-67-73 scenarios for that region (Arab-Israeli wars).

I have an interest in various areas of military history - Napoleonic and WWII at the top of my attention. Modern warfare offers some additional challenges - I play some of the new modern FPS like Flashpoint and COD. But I want strategy, not merely tactics. And I liked the CM:BB game style so much. This seems a natural upgrade (until CM:BB2 arrives...).

But does the basic version have a printed manual?

On that note, I'd say "your weapons free". ;) Yeah you get the full printed manual in the basic edition.

For what it's worth, I played the basic CMSF at 1.10 for several months waiting for the Brits mod to release in order to get the mod bundle. Then onto Marines for like 3-4 months. Then after that onto Brits which I'm still playing through. So there's plenty of gameplay in just CMSF alone.

Since you never know, prices could go down or a new mod bundle change when the NATO module is released.

Either way, your looking at a win-win situation. :)