Urban Warfare > opinions with latest modules

LRC

Last time I played in urban terrain ( V1.10 ? ) 2 issues were limiting the fun of the game:

- no sound detection ( bump in the armor round the corner is not really realistic ... )

- platoon exiting using the front door (under enemy fire) when back door is usable ( and in safe zone).

Was this resolved in the last versions ?

BFC has done a very nice job of having troops bugger on out the back door when under pressure. I can't recall which patch that was, it was quite awhile ago. Posters have even 'complained' about how they hose-down a building with enemy in it and assault only to find the Red infantry has scampered one building over and are now waiting to blast your your guys as they enter! Makes MOUT engagement in connected building compounds considerably more challenging.

Sound detection hasn't been added, sadly. I do miss it, though the times that it's problematic is next to nil. If you get surprised in such a way on any regular basis, you are doing it wrong. Get eyes on where you are going to fight before ever you move there.

From reading the forums the "going out the wrong door" still happens, but very infrequently these days. TBH, I hardly ever had it happen to me, and then mostly user or scenario designer error. Only once did I notice a unit taking a door other then the obvious one without a clear causation. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

In cities i feel like BFC did a good job at making it harder to finish the enemy off.They use to just sit in a house until they were all shot down but since this withdraw feature was put in it made Urban Combat more challenging and better from my point of view.

For example i was blue team moving up slowly to a town with a squad and a stryker.My squad took fire from a small house and right away I set the stryker to area fire on the house and i also made the squad area fire on the house while i used the assault command to close and kill with the enemy.They were leap frogging closer and pounding the house hard with AT4s, machine guns and m203s not giving the enemy time to shoot, then i noticed that some of the enemy troops started to run out the back door.My squad made it to the house where the enemy was only to find 2 bodies on the floor.The red team withdrew to a building behind the original building they were in.I again took fire from them and peppered the enemy house with area fire and again the same situation happened they took a few casualties then withdrew from the 2nd house.I ended up chasing these guys clearing them house from house until i got them all.

Its very well done but the AI doesn't always pick the best escape route.There was a few rare times they ran out into the open and got wiped out completely.They have 3 out of 4 sides with very good cover why they choose to run in the 1 open spot across the firing arcs of tanks and bradley's is beyond me.Some cases they would be better off staying where they are.When it comes down to it even humans panicked and made very unwise decisions that cost them and their comrades their lives so i don't dwell on it to much as long as it ain't my troops doing that lol.Sometimes AI stupidity ends up being very realistic but not always.

But in all Urban Combat in this game is great and sometimes frustrating and it very well should be.Its always fun to watch these little pixel dudes in close combat if u can stomach some of the loses.

I definitely like the retreat feature of the AI in most cases, but IMO it usually makes it easier in urban combat because I've noticed that they usually end up right outside the back door of the building they escaped from with no cover. Then once my troops go into the building, I have cover and the enemy is sitting on bare ground right outside and are easily picked off.

It would be really cool if the AI always automatically picks the next building back or at least a bush, vehicle or flavor object to hide in/behind after backing out.

BFC has done a very nice job of having troops bugger on out the back door when under pressure. I can't recall which patch that was, it was quite awhile ago. Posters have even 'complained' about how they hose-down a building with enemy in it and assault only to find the Red infantry has scampered one building over and are now waiting to blast your your guys as they enter! Makes MOUT engagement in connected building compounds considerably more challenging.

Although and to be honest, more often than not, the Syrians just leave the building and hide behind it, only to be mown down when the good guys enter the building in question. Well thats my experience......

Although and to be honest, more often than not, the Syrians just leave the building and hide behind it, only to be mown down when the good guys enter the building in question. Well thats my experience......

Its actually hit or miss, sometimes the Syrian defenders are very deadly, sometimes they just run away or get mowed down without firing back.

From what I have seen playing the red side, it appears to be tied in to the experience level/morale state. More experienced troops, of course, fight better. Less experienced troops will become more easily rattled/panicked if they take incoming fire or suffer casualties which invariably occurs in a long fight and will then either rout or be mowed down like sheep.

I love it. Played some of the scenarios for original CMSF and urban fighting is really hellish because of all retreating enemies. Even when I have two platoons pushing forward with Stryker support I keep entering empty houses where I previous engaged enemies, only to be shot at from across the street, making any kind of offensive movement quite hazardous. I can't put suppressive fire THROUGH a house after all.

I've even started taking to putting down (retardedly) danger close fire missions, shelling the next row of buildings into dust while I assault the enemy's previously occupied building, hoping to either catch them in the street or kill them as they enter the next house.

On another note, I breezed through the second mission in the Thunder campaign (which used to be very difficult) because all the red uncon guys ended up retreating out into the open ground. Either that or I experienced some weird placement bug where they started out there to begin with.

I love it. Played some of the scenarios for original CMSF and urban fighting is really hellish because of all retreating enemies. Even when I have two platoons pushing forward with Stryker support I keep entering empty houses where I previous engaged enemies, only to be shot at from across the street, making any kind of offensive movement quite hazardous. I can't put suppressive fire THROUGH a house after all.

I've even started taking to putting down (retardedly) danger close fire missions, shelling the next row of buildings into dust while I assault the enemy's previously occupied building, hoping to either catch them in the street or kill them as they enter the next house.

Yup. At best it's time blood and ammo consuming process to try to clear enemy from mazed city-blocks. Much-much better than before.