Terrain vs cover & concealment

Hi guys

Iam new to cmsf (bought the whole collection yesterday after playing the latest demo) but iam a veteran CMx1 player.

So the first question i have is how the terrain can provide cover for my pixeltruppen ?

Is this done like in CMx1 - brush, scatteres trees, rough etc. provides some cover ?

My handbook doesnt talk about that stuff at all ?!

Greets Marc

Hi guys

Iam new to cmsf (bought the whole collection yesterday after playing the latest demo) but iam a veteran CMx1 player.

So the first question i have is how the terrain can provide cover for my pixeltruppen ?

Is this done like in CMx1 - brush, scatteres trees, rough etc. provides some cover ?

My handbook doesnt talk about that stuff at all ?!

Greets Marc

To clarify/add onto what the other guys said, in CMSF there is no "%" of cover provided by various terrain features, bullet trajectories are calculated independently, realistically, and are absorbed by terrain features depending on ballistics.

"Hard" and "soft" cover concepts apply here. Bullets can pass through soft cover, either by deliberate fires or by friendly fire, ricochets and misfiring.

If you place your troops in a rocky area, bullets which hit the rocks will be absorbed, but bullets which miss the rocks may still hit your soldiers. Same thing applies for putting your troops behind walls.

Lets face it. Cover values are a fudge. Why should the 1m sq under a soldier matter more than the 300m to the shooter? In CM1 that's why it was there and why it could be displayed.

In CM2 the bullets trajectory from shooter to shot is tracked through all the intervening objects - this is what has the greatest effect.

Yup. I often get Kornet's missile to blowup about 10 meters from launcher, which isn't funny as it can be lethal :D

One advice for OP: Do not issue them target orders if there trees in way of shooter and target. Let them make their own decisions, because they know much better that does projectiles have change to hit the target or tree in way. They still will hit trees more or less often, but if you see that forexample ATGM-team doesn't open fire at tank which they see, they very likely does have good reason for it.

I've also managed to decimate my own Syrian special force guys by setting them into tree line and forcing T-55 behind them to open fire thru that line of trees.

EDIT: Okay going back to topic from semi-off-topic. I'm finding that CMSF doesn't offer such cover as CMx1 does offer... Sure partially it is because of increased firepower, but i still am not totally sure is 1:1 scale really good thing in modelling realistic cover&concealment stuff. Partially because AI isn't that bright to use it. Sure 1:1 scale has tons of good stuff which comes along with it, so it's not reasonable to ditch idea just because cover&concealment doesn't work that well. Just wondering this... Or do people see that 1:1 is great or even perfect system also with cover&concealment stuff?

"Or do people see that 1:1 is great or even perfect system also with cover&concealment stuff?"

In my view, what we have with CMSF is not perfect (no game can be) but much, much better than we had in CMBO, CMBB or CMAK and overall it works pretty well - certainly better than any other game I have ever played. I cannot recall a time when I have taken casualties because the cover/concealment was below that which I thought when I ordered my unit to that position.