Positive first impressions

Rosseau

Surprised there are not many thumbs-up on EoS. Perhaps everyone is jaded after playing the demo? I never did, but the release version is one sweet game.

Looks a lot like the old Empire II from New World Computing, which never really grabbed me. I prefer hardcore wargames but will play lighter titles like Matrix's OpBarb. Nothing against that game, but for an extra $15, EoS in infinitely superior, IMO.

I knew the editing tools would be awesome. But what surprised me was how much information is presented in such a user friendly way. The designer--and maybe some of you guys--did one heck of a job thinking through the interface. The data's there if you want it, or you can just plow along and play it beer & pretzels style.

Let's get the word out on this great game!

Surprised there are not many thumbs-up on EoS. Perhaps everyone is jaded after playing the demo? I never did, but the release version is one sweet game....Let's get the word out on this great game!

I think most have just been caught by surprise by the release as we weren't expecting it for another week or so. :) I guess by evening US time this will be one busy board.

I think most people are put off by the price. I know I am...

Regardless of how slick the game looks, it comes across as just a modernized, redone Empire Deluxe. I realize this is most likely not the case but this is how EoS comes across. So, $45 for DD and $55 for hardcopy for a remake of a game that has been available for free for the last 15 years is a tough nut.

I'll also add that a lot of great games have also recently been released...Armada 2526, King Arthur: The RPG, Solium Infernum, etc. So a lot of strategy gamers had to make decisions as to which games to buy and how to spend their money. Some of the other games 1) were released before EoS was available and 2) appear to offer something more unique than EoS does at first blush...

Just my .02.

To generate more interest, I would suggest some of you who have the game put together some detailed impressions, or post a creative AAR with screenshots.

...Regardless of how slick the game looks, it comes across as just a modernized, redone Empire Deluxe.....

If that is the case, then EoS might have an image problem. I say might, because the thought of a new Empire game was what sold me in the first place. :)

Anyway, EoS is so much more due to it's modability. The potential looks staggering and I'm really looking forward to start digging into the core of the game!

If that is the case, then EoS might have an image problem. I say might, because the thought of a new Empire game was what sold me in the first place. :)

Anyway, EoS is so much more due to it's modability. The potential looks staggering and I'm really looking forward to start digging into the core of the game!

Heh, I was just going to say a similar thing... "a modernized redone Empire Deluxe" may not be a bad thing. I know I have been looking for something like that myself (man, how many countless sleepless nights did I spend with the original Empire games in my youth...) and the free versions out there never really grabbed me. Atomicboy Software really managed to take a whole fresh look at this, kept enough of the original idea, but added so much more (especially in terms of moddability but also multiplayer and community functions) that this is a whole another ballgame now. FAR from a "remake".

What's more, and this is touching upon the price thing: the game provides endless replayability with all the massive community and MP features. The price is, IMHO, way more than justified. If I didn't already have a copy ;) I know I would have been one of the first pre-order customers anyway...

Prior to EoS the latest and best Empire game is Empire Enhanced by KillerBee. I've been playing and modding it since it came out about 4-5 years ago. It's good enough that I've been going back and forth in my mind about EoS the last couple months if I want to spend $45 on it. So yesterday when it came out I went back and forth on the two playing and decided EoS was really enough better. It still needs some features that have been discussed here but this game will go down as one of the all time greats. It's like Empire on steroids plus some.

That's a bit unfair (no offense meant to Jarhead!) also to say EoS is a modernized version of Empire Enhanced, as I believe the author of the former (Brit) has done the code from zero. This would be like saying it is not normal to pay full price for a WW2 game by 2B3 because Paradox did also a WW2 game (or Hubert Cater to name a dev from Battlefront).

The guy (Brit) surely put several thousands of hours into his code, so (as a dev myself) I particularly understand why the game is charged full price.

Beside... it is really old ugly Empire on steroids: nice graphics, slick interface, WEGO system, LAN/internet play and ladder, Tech tree, one hundred units, modding... just to name a few features. It deserves the full price.

And 45$ is not that much Euros! (tease on you, American friends :) )

I think most people are put off by the price. I know I am...

Regardless of how slick the game looks, it comes across as just a modernized, redone Empire Deluxe. I realize this is most likely not the case but this is how EoS comes across. So, $45 for DD and $55 for hardcopy for a remake of a game that has been available for free for the last 15 years is a tough nut.

I'll also add that a lot of great games have also recently been released...Armada 2526, King Arthur: The RPG, Solium Infernum, etc. So a lot of strategy gamers had to make decisions as to which games to buy and how to spend their money. Some of the other games 1) were released before EoS was available and 2) appear to offer something more unique than EoS does at first blush...

Just my .02.

To generate more interest, I would suggest some of you who have the game put together some detailed impressions, or post a creative AAR with screenshots.

I am proof that you are correct about a couple things. The reason I say that was you first mention the price at $45. I also thought that was a bit expensive. Then you also mention the release of other games and funny you said Armada 2526. Reason being is because just last night, I was deciding which game to buy out of EoS and Armada. I did choose Armada, not a big difference at $5 less for the download but it was a very small part in my deciding factor. It was so close that even a small part made a big difference, almost like just a few extra jabs in a boxing match that comes down to a decision and that slightly lower price was a few extra jabs. Then again, I truely feel I could have not went wrong with either game but I did choose Armada first. This said, I don't think it matters too much because I will buy EoS too, maybe before this weekend is up. It does come across as a modern version of Empire but after playing the demo, it seems worlds better. I am sure I will post an "i got it!" thread here when i get it :)

Oh and I would love to see some AARs with images, they done this when Advanced Tactics was released and that tore everyone off the fence that was deciding to buy or not and not one person had regrets for buying it. Don't know if anyone remembers the developer (Brad Wardell) of Galactic Civilizations I posting AARs up before the game was released. We were just waiting to snatch that game the moment it came out like free chocolate cake and when we got it we LOVED it! So I love reading AARs.

Just a word comparing EoS to Empire Enhanced. I've been playing and modding EDEE since it came out. Also played the original Empire and Empire Deluxe. EoS is not a remake of those games. EDEE was a remake of Empire Deluxe and you can tell. EoS is an entirely new game that bears some resemblance to those other games and that's it. Just wanted to clear that up. EoS is so different and so much better there really is no comparison.

That's a bit unfair (no offense meant to Jarhead!) also to say EoS is a modernized version of Empire Enhanced, as I believe the author of the former (Brit) has done the code from zero. This would be like saying it is not normal to pay full price for a WW2 game by 2B3 because Paradox did also a WW2 game (or Hubert Cater to name a dev from Battlefront).

The guy (Brit) surely put several thousands of hours into his code, so (as a dev myself) I particularly understand why the game is charged full price.

Beside... it is really old ugly Empire on steroids: nice graphics, slick interface, WEGO system, LAN/internet play and ladder, Tech tree, one hundred units, modding... just to name a few features. It deserves the full price.

And 45$ is not that much Euros! (tease on you, American friends :) )

I'm on the same page with you Pocus...I agree with everything you state. I know the developer poured his heart and soul into writing this game. However, regardless whether it is an accurate assessment or not, many gamers do and will associate EoS with the Empire games.

I keep hearing people say EoS is a lot different from Empire Deluxe...that it adds a lot of features and plays a lot different. But I don't really see people substantiating these statements. I want to know what is different...what is added...how substantial are the changes? More blank comments devoid of substance by those who are posting in these forums will not sell more copies...Details I say, we need details! It is detailed impressions that will serve Brit best and help get the word out...

You are right, Jarhead. But I am probably not the guy to provide the details yet. Others have questioned the AI's agressiveness, but I bet that will get fixed. However, for those like me that never bought KillerBee's Enhanced Empire, EoS would seem a must-buy at $10 more. In fact, $35 for KillerBee's product seems way to expensive to me.

By the way, is this King Arthur game any good as a wargame?