TF Thunder 3rd mission

I am to advance across a salt marsh keeping an eye open for any ambush...

The briefing says use my Recon Humvees as they have good spotting ability...but they can't seem to spot sh!t!

It also says to use my other weapons platforms (Bradleys and M1s) to do the damage once the enemy has been spotted...but I only start with 2 recon Humvees, 1 GP Humvee and 1 Bradley. Everything gets knocked out before I even get to see the enemy...and that's doing what the mission says - lead with the Humvees.

I've tried going slow. Fast. Hunting. Moving to the high ground on the East of the map....nothing - they simply don't spot anything until they're hit! And even then I can't see where it came from!

Do I have to do something special to recon? I can't see any commands for it.

I believe the Humvee's *were* worthless junk in the game, but I've had better luck with them since the last few patches. One thing is that they have to be unbuttoned in order to use their thermal optics. Secondly, try finding hull-down overwatch positions. That is, positions where only the thermals are peaking over the crest of a hill, and from which a good portion of the battlefield is visible.

I went back and tried this mission on 1.20 recently

I found two things

1. The Humvees still don't spot sh1t (yes I had them unbuttoned and in overwatch positions). They can't even spot machine gunners firing at them for prolonged periods of time (often wounding the soldier manning the optics). I think they are still broken.

2. In 1.20 I got smoked pretty bad when doing this mission. Main problem I had was a lot of vehicles got immobilized and my dudes had to leg it. Almost ran out of time and suffered more casualties as a result. I remember way back in the old days, this mission was a bit of a cake walk. Not so much anymore.

I went back and tried this mission on 1.20 recently

I found two things

1. The Humvees still don't spot sh1t (yes I had them unbuttoned and in overwatch positions). They can't even spot machine gunners firing at them for prolonged periods of time (often wounding the soldier manning the optics). I think they are still broken.

2. In 1.20 I got smoked pretty bad when doing this mission. Main problem I had was a lot of vehicles got immobilized and my dudes had to leg it. Almost ran out of time and suffered more casualties as a result. I remember way back in the old days, this mission was a bit of a cake walk. Not so much anymore.

+1 (that would have been all but there is a ten character requirement)

IIRC, this is one of the crappier scenarios I've played. The reason is the designer apparently does not understand combined arms or purposely decided to not include the proper force to make the mission unrealistically difficult and silly.

How is this so? The US force is expecting to drive through an ATGM/SPG front backed by significant infantry forces with RPG's, in trenches and on higher ground. Yet the US gets a platoon of useless scouts, a platoon of infantry and Abrams and no artillery. Artillery is a must for a mission like this, as is at least a company of infantry. The only useful element is the Abrams because they can shrug off repeated hits. But you still need to use them almost independently to smash through the whole defense network while the other arms are pretty much absent. It is simply poor scenario design, imo.

when i first played this scenario i also thought - what a piece of cr*p, however when i played the scenario a second time i changed my tactics and i enjoyed it.

My strategy was quite simple...

Once i get close to any trenches i just set my waypoints to follow the trenches, actually the waypoints follow the trenches completely - this means that my nice big heavy tank drives over the trenches and their occupants, hehehe.. Evil but effective.

I had one tank disabled by a Syrian infantryman chucking grenades at it and that was it.

And i agree the Scout Humvees are completely useless. Or let me rephrase, i am because of my tactical shortcomings not able to effectively use the scout Humvess.

And i agree the Scout Humvees are completely useless. Or let me rephrase, i am because of my tactical shortcomings not able to effectively use the scout Humvess.

When your unit has a big FLIR optical thingie (that is supposed to have a spotting range of 15KM) and it can't see a machinegun nest ~300m away from it firing constantly, I would say the unit is along the lines of 'useless'.

Having said that, the spotting in this mission has always struck me as weird. Often you can't see sh1t with anything and basically have to drive your tanks right on top of the infantry to engage them. ATGM's can get off multiple shots without any overwatching elements spotting them.

Overwatching seems great in theory, however, I've always been forced to use area fire to actually get my overwatch elements to engage since no one can seemingly see enemy units in this particular mission.