Kettler Vision

Wilhammer

The series, being killed by FOX (played the first 3/4s out of sequence, and did not show the rest, as well as moving the thing all over the schedule - Fox has a wierd relationship with SciFi - buy a show, kill it) left us hanging - we got a mere taste of what was planned - it was one hell of an appetizer.

I highly recommend this Wikipedia article on the Series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_%28TV_series%29

Unless of course you were just talking about the Chinese language, in which case the interjection of words and phrases was kind of neat as it showed one way that the two cultures were blending together.

Michael

That, and it being a nifty way to get around the puritanical FCC. Some situations go begging for some swearing, and this was an intelligent way to go about it.

I did really liked Serenity the movie, but never watched the series. Haven't seen the Firefly series either. I might have to rent it or something.

I think the series was better. The movie was good in its own way though. Seeing the series on DVD would have to be better than watching it as broadcast for the reasons that Wilhammer gave just above. Fox's treatment of the series baffles me too. It was a clear winner with a strong following. What more did they want?

Michael

Fox's treatment of the series baffles me too. It was a clear winner with a strong following. What more did they want?

A *big* following? Granted, though, that the treatement was indeed baffling. I suspect the following would have grown sufficiently large had it been given a decent shake of the stick.

FWIW, I never got round to watching any of it till earlier this year, which is several years after the movie came out, and over 6 years after the series was produced. I thoroughly enjoyed them all.

Wanted to pass the word that TNT's running the complete The Librarian trilogy this Sunday starting at 2 p.m. Eastern and Pacific times. Those of you who liked Raiders will enjoy this series, especially some remarkable features in the library and even more amazing exhibits and denizens. Lush production values, wild adventures and far better FX than the Indian Jones movies had, not to mention a great cast, make these movies a lot of fun to watch. As noted before, they get better from film to film, the reverse of the usual Hollywood rule. Castle fans will enjoy seeing Stana Katic. In other news, will DVR V and report back after watching it.

Regards,

John Kettler

Watched V last night.

Warning! Spoilage Ahead!

1. It sure moved fast - we saw Reptoid skin 10-15 minutes before it ended.

2. The meeting in the wharehouse - my God, the fellow in the middle ranting about Reptoids infiltrating all levels of government for decades setting up the invasion - was that you John?

3. The skeptical FBI agent who was practically rolling her eyes at this rant, oh my, was that so much like the AK crowd here.

4. The mole FBI agent was rather predictable, if the the guy who played that role was not - the Captain of Serenity dies again!

5. The Reptoids are divided; the Humans are divided, the war is on!

Folks, if you have ever participated in a Kettler Reptoid conspiracy discussion on this Forum, you will find the first episode rather boring - it is all too familiar!

Oh, and get this, they are trying to win over humanity with - wait, wait for it - Universal Health Care!

Yes, Obama leads the Visitors!

Not to mention they crammed a 4 hour miniseries into a 1 hour Pilot.

Yeah to Firefly cast. Now we need a cameo by Robert Englund and Marc singer and ........... :)

Haha, Marc Singer, I remember that guy was in another childhood fav of mine, The Beastmaster. Him and those little ferets and that scantily clad red haired damsel in distress was super hot. Oh and that hawk was pretty kool too.

Didn't they make a series for this one as well? I never did catch it, anybody see it?

beastmaster.jpg

Watched V and was very impressed, by no means just with the FX, though I loved the giant viewscreen but wonder how to engineer that and still have the agravs work properly. Would expect a lot of visual distortion. Morena positively radiates predator vibe, and I thought the show beautifully illustrated the path to journalistic corruption. Of particular interest to me, having seen the original series, is not only the fact that there's already an active and actively surveilled and attacked resistance, but that the Visitors have sleeper cells detected by FBI counterterrorism efforts and are dealing with their own renegade problem. The dramatic tension arising from a FBI mom opposing the Visitors and an unwitting collaborator son is a surefire potboiler element, not to mention the forbidden romance angle so obviously in evidence. Also intriguing is the response of the Catholic Church to the Vistors, an issue with a solid basis in fact. Look up "Monsignor Baldacci, ETs" to see what I mean. The Vatican has officially pronounced on the existence and spiritual status of ETs.

Don't know whether we'll see anything on it, but it would be interesting to see the reaction of longtime "skeptics" and debunkers depicted on the show. "Attempting to disbelieve" will be challenging with such honking ships directly and continuously overhead and under 24/7 media coverage.

I can all too easily imagine the core V scenario being played out as seen on the show. After all, as Sinclair Lewis's novel say's "It can happen here." For another look at that scenario in action, please see the Jasmine episodes in Angel. In both cases, modern communications make it all too easy to obtain control of the mass mind and in very short order.

Shall be most interested to see what happens next.

Regards,

John Kettler

Wilhammer,

I find the show wildly inventive--and deeply disturbing, especially the fact that we now know the FlashForward was caused by a group, one of whose members, the father of the autistic boy, is portrayed by the actor who played Susan's oft feckless boyfriend on the brilliant BBC hit show Coupling, but how and for what purpose? The Blue Hand meeting was genuinely upsetting, yet reminiscent of what happened on Earth after the transformed kids were taken off in Clarke's CHILDHOOD'S END. How deliciously twisted that it finds its members via the FBI's Mosaic site! I find it fascinating how people dealt and didn't with what they saw in their FlashForwards, and we can now be sure that not everything is set in stone regarding the future, following that agent's shocking plummet. I found Demetri's unburdening to his fiancee wrenching, and it's harrowing to watch the FBI agent running the investigation crumble a bit more with each episode, creating a self-fulfilling prophecy regarding both falling off the wagon and the collapse of his marriage, two highly interrelated matters. Where is this thing going, who's behind it, why; what are those towers (classification markings should've been prominent on the imagery, BTW), how do they work, what does that German really know, how many FlashForwards have there been, where, and to what end? Will there be another? If it's not terrorism, then what is the goal? What's so important as to even semijustify the stupendous mass casualties and havoc caused?

As for Dexter, I fundamentally misunderstood what the show was about, but now, I'm more than a little curious. All I've seen of it was a bit of his wedding day, during which he's plotting his next kill. Didn't realize, though that his prey was serial killers too good for the cops to catch! Am probably going to have to rent and watch the entire series.

Regards,

John Kettler

Dexter, to be enjoyed, must be watched starting with Season 1.

A serial killer that not only hunts other serial killers, but also hunts people who 'got away with murder' and, lately, has been hunting folks who impact his family.

His akwardness in Season 1 and 2 is a fascinating watch - he goes from the profile we have seen of Serial Killers to a man with friends and family - and he has to learn to be normal.

----------------------

BTW, in the FlashForward novel, the FFs are 20 years in the future, and the cause was the Hadron Super Collider.

Not sure what it is in this adaptation - it is those towers - but what do they do?

The last episode they refer to a science experiment that killed 20 million people (the blackout) - so I wonder what they are trying to manipulate.

Another angle to consider is some corporate environment - somebody had to build those things. Who funded them? Did the USA?

----The suicide changes the impending doom equation ---- the alcoholism relapse and the split may not happen.

Back to the German.

In his FlashForward with that customs agent, who was saved by Demetri, and thus may know about the Demetri Murder; and the German mentions a murder getting him to the USA - notice the look on the Custom Agents face?

I suspect on that day, he kills the German.

In the scene where Demetri meets the agent at his house, just before the bong incident, he does ask if he will get a gun.

Perhaps he will, and he will be given the mission to kill the German.

---------------------

One wonders what happens to this series after April 2010.

One wonders what happens to this series after April 2010.

You guys obviously are impressed with the series, and I have no problem with that. But the way you are describing it makes it sound overly complicated, like Heroes became. I hope the writers and producers of this new one keep a firm hand on the tiller and know where they are going.

Michael