Semi OT - Normandy Book's?

Hi all

I was going through my library today and noticed that I do not have a single book that deals with the Normandy campaign! :)

I have a number that deal with D-Day and the paratroopers. Or books that treat the entire Western Front start to finish. But not a single one that has its entire focus on the Normandy campaign.

I tried a search and came up dry, so here I am!

Can anyone recommend a book(s) that deal with:

1. Normandy Campaign from US point of view, or follows a specific unit/individual though the campaign

2. Same, but for the Commonwealth

3. Same, but for the Germans

4. Covers the entire campaign, all combatants. Kind of like the scope and detail of Richard Franks 'Guadacanal', but obviously for Normandy.

Obviously this could or could not include details on D-Day, which is fine. Even though its been gone over again and again, its still makes for good reading.

Thanks in advance!

Chad

Normandy Campaign from US point of view, or follows a specific unit/individual though the campaign

For starters, Beyond the Bridgehead by Balkowski leaps immediately to mind. His two books specifically devoted to D-Day are both excellent (I am tempted to say "unsurpassed" but I haven't read everything).

On to Berlin, James Gavin.

Over Lord: General Pete Quesada and the Triumph of Tactical Air Power, Thomas A. Hughes, is an interesting look at the way that tactical air power evolved during the battle and afterward.

A couple of the Army's Green Book series are devoted to the Normandy invasion and battles, and I think they are still available on CD.

If my creaky memory coughs up any more titles before anyone beats me to the same ones, I'll pass them along.

Michael

Same, but for the Commonwealth

The Guns of Normandy, George Blackburn. First person account by a Canadian artilleryman. My favorite episode was the Belgian farmer who offered his daughters for the night.

Tank!, Ken Tout. First person account by a tanker of a night and day of battle towards the later part of the Normandy campaign.

Michael

“Warriors for the Working Day” another Brit Tank crew account.

“By Tank into Normandy”

“Tank Men” by Robert Kershaw (covers both First and second World war but has a nice chunk on Normandy).

“The D-Day Atlas - Anatomy of the Normandy Campaign”

“The 12th SS” Kurt Meyer (Two Volumes)

“The 12th SS” Kurt Meyer (Two Volumes)

No, Kurt was the guy who wrote the fishtales known as "Grenadier". Hubert Meyer wrote the 12th SS History. Only Vol 1 covers Normandy though.

Also,

Overall Campaign:

"Overlord" by Hastings (somewhat dated, and in part responsible for a wave of very interesting books in the 90's that challenged it's central thesis)

"Decision in Normandy" D'Este (also dated, and some of his conclusions are debatable, or flat out wrong. But nevertheless provides a workable campaign overview)

"Fields of Fire" Copp (pretty good overview of Canoodlians in Normandy)

Platoon level (autobiogs):

"By Tank Into Normandy" Hills (worms eye view of armoured warfare in Normandy from a British perspective)

"Troop Leader" Bellamy (worms eye view of armoured warfare in Normandy from a British perspective)

"A Canloan Officer" Fendick (excellent account of an MG platoon commander)

"18 Platoon" Jary (worms eye view of infantry warfare in Normandy from a British perspective)

"If You Survive" Wilson (platoon and coy commander, US Army, St Lo onwards)

Battalion Level (autobiogs):

"Other Clay" Cawthon (good complement to Balkoski's book)

"The Clay Pigeons of St Lo" Johns (another good complement to Balkoski's book)

Divisional:

"The Black Bull" Delaforce (workable history of 11th Armd Div. Delaforce was in this Div, although this isn't an autobiog. He also has a substantial series of books on other UK divs in NWE)

"From Normandy to the Ruhr" Guderian (detailed but hard to read history of 116th Pz Div. Guderian was in this div at this time, but again it isn't an autobiog)

Single Battles:

"No Holding Back" by Reid (very good, looks only at Totalise)

"A Fine Night For Tanks" Tout (also on Totalise - weaker than Reid's book though)

Avoid:

"Normandy - The Real Story" Whitaker

No, Kurt was the guy who wrote the fishtales known as "Grenadier". Hubert Meyer wrote the 12th SS History. Only Vol 1 covers Normandy though.

Yes indeed, good pickup.

I can’t believe I didn’t check that as I typed it (the books are about 1m from the computer keyboard).

For a very detailed account, look for BATTLE ZONE NORMANDY books from Sutton publishing (UK). Almost 14 separate books with history facts and battlefield tours guide (that you can either walk and or drive throught) only dealing with the Normandy campaign.

They cover each separate beachhead: US, Brits and Canadians and the land battles like, Saint Lo, Caen, Cherbourg, Falaise pocket, Operation Cobra, Epsom, Villers Bocage.....

Read also "Beyond the Beachhead" from Joseph Balkoski, already mentionned by some of you. A real bible with German and US troops tactics and detailed organigrams, covering the fight of the guys landing at Omaha on to Saint Lo. The best one I read about.

These, from all the reading I have done these late years, are the best I would recommend, if you want to understand what really happened and how.

Sure there are many others, but if a choice has to be made, that's it.

Cheers

For a very detailed account, look for BATTLE ZONE NORMANDY books from Sutton publishing (UK). Almost 14 separate books with history facts and battlefield tours guide (that you can either walk and or drive throught) only dealing with the Normandy campaign.

They cover each separate beachhead: US, Brits and Canadians and the land battles like, Saint Lo, Caen, Cherbourg, Falaise pocket, Operation Cobra, Epsom, Villers Bocage.....

Can anyone else pip in on these books? I have found a couple sets of them for fair prices on Amazon and Ebay.

Are they more picture and map books than detailed descriptions of battles? At this point in my life I am looking for more meat in my books than the milk of pictures and maps. Dont get me wrong, pictures and maps are great, but those are readily available online.

Can anyone else pip in on these books? I have found a couple sets of them for fair prices on Amazon and Ebay.

Are they more picture and map books than detailed descriptions of battles? At this point in my life I am looking for more meat in my books than the milk of pictures and maps. Dont get me wrong, pictures and maps are great, but those are readily available online.

There are pictures, maps of 1944 and actual map also for the tour guide. They are describing the allied and the german side accurately. The action is quite well detailed and goes down to company and even platoon level when necessary.

I can tell you that living just a few Kilometers from Périers and the landing beaches, I have learned more in these books than in the AAR made by the US Army in 1944 and 1945 about the fights. Wish I had them, when I was combing the area in the 1970 with a detector. That to tell you that to locate a fight and put the troops at the right place is quite easier, if you are looking at platoon and or company fighting feats.

More, The War studies Dept at Sandhurst is making tours for cadets to show them the places they have studied and the books are being used.

Cheers

A book that I found interesting and useful was the Osprey D-Day Fortifications in Normandy by Zaloga. It's handy to have at your elbow when reading some of the accounts of the landings.

BTW, don't forget ABE Books. I've found lots of obscure titles in their listings that I couldn't find anywhere else and their prices are usually at least fair and often better than fair.

Michael

BTW, don't forget ABE Books. I've found lots of obscure titles in their listings that I couldn't find anywhere else and their prices are usually at least fair and often better than fair.

Michael

This is the first I had heard, and now seen, of ABE Books. Very, very good prices and like you said, I found books much easier there than anywhere else.

Are the sellers there generally good? Anyone have bad experiences buying off the site?

Hi Chad you have received some good titles that I have so here are some others that may interest you relating to the Canadian forces are:

Normandy 1944 by Reginald Roy

The Guns of Normandy by George Blackburn MC

British forces

Hill 112 JJ How MC

The British Breakout JJ How MC

For a good assortment of detail with maps photos and current info check out the Pen and Sword Battleground series and the Battle Zone Normandy series they have books on much of the campaign from d-day to breakout to closing the gap.

ABE is a great service I have had much success with the various resellers. Also check out powells books they have heaps of titles.

Okay, looks like I have enough books to last until CM:Normandy comes out :)

For now, I decided to start with:

Beyond the Beachhead by Balkoski

If you Survive by Wilson

Six Armies in Normandy by Keegan

Since CM will cover the US and Germans first, I thought that I would start there first. I have found scenarios to be a lot more enjoyable when you know the events they are based on.

Thanks again for all the replies! If any one has anymore to add, please do. I will be referencing this list for sometime to come.

Chad

Troop Leader by Bill Bellamy - British Troop Commander from Normandy to the end of the war

Patrick Delaforce has done a series of several books on British Divisions in WW2 try Monty's Ironside about 3 UK Inf Division landed on D-Day and fought to Bremen.

Tank Men by Robert Kershaw covers the whole war but a good read.

Osprey have many books that cover the Normandy including 4 part series on D-Day, books on Cobra, Caen, Falaise, one that cover the Sherman Firefly vs Tiger 1 and several books that cover aspects of the campaign.

After the Battle have a Two Part book about D-Day and a seperate book about Panzers in Normandy both are very good.

But if you are starting off Beevors D-Day is excellent and gives a good and fair overview of the campaign.