Commanding Officers (CO) and Executive Officers (XO) are now represented by star?

Yeah theres a whole load of weird conventions that make me understand why BFC went to a more general icon that can be applied across all armies.

OC - Officer Commanding - Usually refers to Company Commanders (Major)

CO - Commanding Officer - Means the Battalion Commander only (Lt Col)

IC - In Command - usually refers to a section commander, but also generally whoever is in charge. Theres no such thing as a "squad leader" in the UK.

2IC - 2nd in command - self explanatory.

Close, its 2IC. :)

And that’s applied at different levels:

Coy 2IC

Bn 2IC, etc.

Yep, IC and 2IC are more general terms that can be applied across the board. CO, however, is a very special term - if some young 2nd Lieutenant was caught calling himself the Commanding Officer he'd find himself at the pointy end of somebody's stick very quickly, I'd imagine.

Yep, IC and 2IC are more general terms that can be applied across the board. CO, however, is a very special term - if some young 2nd Lieutenant was caught calling himself the Commanding Officer he'd find himself at the pointy end of somebody's stick very quickly, I'd imagine.

No just Duty Officer for life. :)

Yeh, self explanatory now that someone's explained it! I'm embarrassed to admit how long I thought the little 6pt. 'I' was a '1'. I kept thinking "What in hell is a twentyone-C?" :o:rolleyes:

Glad you were awake for the UK Module testing. :) :)

But of course the work you did on maps etc. far outweighs any gaps on the “small stuff”.

Reminds me of the old adage “the only dumb question is the one you don’t ask”.

The funny thing is we accidentally shipped CM:SF with "CO" and "XO". By that I mean we recognized early on that we needed something more generic, but we forgot to change the graphics. Since everybody was accustomed to them, and for the original game they WERE correct, the testers didn't see anything wrong. Unlike us, they aren't supposed to be looking ahead several games out before the games are even coded :D

Steve