Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

GeForce 6600GT OC versus 6800

I know some may condemn me for posting this thread after Redwolf told me to get a plain 6800 over an overclocked 6600GT while I read that Schrullenhaft recommends the 6600GT. After reading some reviews over the internet, I'm not convinced that the 6800 is the way to go between the two.

I'd appreciate any suggestions over which card to purchase.

My machine is going to be (after upgrade next week) a XP3000+ on a Epox 8RDA+ motherboard.

CARD 1:

BFG GeForce™ 6600 GT OC 128MB GDDR AGP

Core clock: 525MHz Memory clock: 1050MHz

$249.99 Cdn

Card 2:

Gigabyte GV-N68128DH 6800 128MB DDR AGP

Core clock: 325MHz Memory clock: 700MHz

No cooling fan, so super quiet.

$330 Cdn

I admit I was ready to get the 6800 card, but the following review sort of tuned my off of it. Especially the DDR memory with the 6800.

I would really appreciate any opinions.

Gigabyte 6800 Review

Just in case you have to register on the review's website, here's some comments from the review:

"In this configuration, the 6800 is perhaps the most resoundingly average GPU in Nvidia's current line-up. A bog-standard GeForce 6800 isn't going to stun anyone with its awesome power, although it's still nippy at medium resolutions. In fact, its overall performance is very similar to the cheaper GeForce 6600 GT cards.In Far Cry, at 1,280 x 1,024 with 2x AA and 2x AF, the N68 averaged 42.2fps, a fraction behind Sparkle's 6600 GT which managed 43.8fps. At the same settings, the results were similar in Half-Life 2, with the N68 running through our new benchmark at an average of 44.5fps, compared to Sparkle's 47.8fps."

"Although the N68 has four more pixel pipelines than the GeForce 6600 GT, it's clearly let down by its slower memory. Ordinary DDR RAM is not the quickest, and the GeForce 6800's extra pixel pipelines don't appear to make up for the 6600 GT's more efficient design either. Despite this, the N68 is clearly capable of playing the latest games at 1,280 x 1,024 with anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering, and full detail, and that's what really matters."

"Where the N68 really falls down is in its choice of GPU. The GeForce 6800 is not the best chip Nvidia currently produces. Having 12 pipelines means the GPU has plenty of firepower, but it also makes it more expensive. To offset this, the RAM has been downgraded from GDDR3 to DDR. This makes the card a lot less efficient when AA and AF are turned on, and this shows in the N68's benchmarks. The N68 costs £60 more than most GeForce 6600 GTs, and yet it gives almost exactly the same performance."

[ July 28, 2005, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Wally's World ]

Some remarks in random order:

DDR3 is not really better than DDR for the same memory bandwidth, on the contrary, the higher latency can mean it is slower in some situations.

On most 6800 (no letters) cards you can unlock 4 more pixel pipes in addition to the 12 you already have. That gives you pretty much the GPU of a 6800GT (but not the memory bandwidth or amount). It requires a BIOS flash and doesn't always work, but it seems to work for much more than 50% of the people who try.

While the GPUs on these cards are about the same speed (before unlocking the 6800 pipes the 6800 is a little slower actually), the 6800 has much higher memory bandwidth. That allows you do go for higher resolutions, higher antialiasing and better anisotropic filtering. Or in other words, it allows you to do higher quality in existing games although it might not enable you to play newer games in lower quality (you have the pipe unlock for that smile.gif ).

The fans on NVidia cards used to be outright trash during the FX 5xx0 times. The 6xx0 fans are better. But the passive cooling is still a huge advantage.

You can only use the passively cooled card if you have intact airflow in your computer. If you have just a run-of-the-mill bestbuy thingy you don't. Look for exhaust fans in the back of the case between the connector plate and the AGP slot. You should have that to use the passively cooled card.

Having said that, I have a similar passive cooling setup on my 5900XT and it is awesome and has no problems at all.

Actually, I recommended the 6600GT 128MB over a 6600 w/256MB. The 6800 will have more memory bandwidth as Redwolf pointed out and that can have a significant effect on image quality with higher resolutions, anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering. The 6600GT's advantage with a faster GPU comes into play with newer games and their shader effects which can be GPU intensive.

As Redwolf pointed out the 6800's can often have pipelines unlocked with RivaTuner. However not everyone is successful in doing this and I wouldn't count on this capability in making the decision between the two cards. I wouldn't be surprised if unlocking pipes gets to be more and more less successful for 6800 purchasers.

The Gigabyte card you selected has heat pipes for passive cooling and this seems to have increased the cost a bit in comparision to actively-cooled 6800's. According to most users the passive-cooling seems to work quite well, though as Redwolf pointed out, case cooling and airflow issues become even more imperative with passively cooled videocards. You'll need cool air flowing in the case in order to get good results with this Gigabyte card.

The BFG 6600GT card is officially overclocked (by a small, but significant amount). The Gigabyte or other 6800 could also be overclocked - though that will depend on your cooling solution. Again, probably something you don't want to count on in your decision, but it is a possibility.

So, it seems to be a bit of a toss-up. If you can unlock the pipes and/or overclock the GPU significantly, then the 6800 can definitely win the speed prize. However without those tweaks, then the 6800 will be a bit slower with newer game titles and their extensive shader calcs, etc. I'm not absolutely sure on the complete graphical direction of CMx2. It may push effects much like a lot of popular games today, but it may be more bandwidth limited than GPU/shader limited when it comes to larger battles.

I've got the NX6600GT-TD128E.

AMD Athlon 64 3500.

1 GigRAM.

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard.

Its wonderful on all games I have. I havent added a second card yet but may soon.

My case has fans front, rear, side, and top. Temp gauge on the front of the case reads about 98F when browsing and may reach 110F with serious gaming. Heat is not a problem. No overclocking.

For price and performance I'd say its in the sweet spot.

How can you unlock the 4 more pipelines

12 with a reg-6800 256mb but with riva

tuner can you unlock the other 4 making

it 16.

My other card Asus 6800GT 256mb I

get @ 1280x960 70mhz all AA/AF

16x/8x shadows visual goodies

on BF2 70 FPS with fraps but would like

unlock the other 6800 pipelines...