Two "Easy" Game Engine Features

I would like to request two "simple" features be added to the game engine:

1. An "LOS" command that toggles the painting of every terrain square I can't see black. Click a unit and it is from that unit's perspective. No unit selected is the global LOS.

2. A "Elevation" command that toggles the display of the wireframe outline of the underlying terrain grid on the map.

DG

Grid lines would be a substitute for better rendering of differences in terrain contour. I would prefer better rendering of terrain. Too much CMSF landscape merges together due to textures and lack of shading.

I am very confused as to what "global" LOS would be. Would this be aggregate LOS of all your units?

Heh... yet more examples of why the word "easy" should never be used by a customer, even in quotes :D

1. An "LOS" command that toggles the painting of every terrain square I can't see black. Click a unit and it is from that unit's perspective. No unit selected is the global LOS.

This is actually impossible. Which, I think, is just about as far away from "easy" as it can get :D The old Gary Grigsby style system (Kampfgruppe/Steel Panthers), which is what RecceDG is asking for, simply not possible in CMx2 because relative heights of both the spotting unit and the potential units being spotted is critical information which can't be shown in black/white portrayals. Not only that, but we couldn't have done this in CMx1 with its more simplistic terrain and LOS systems because the delay required to render this information would not be acceptable.

2. A "Elevation" command that toggles the display of the wireframe outline of the underlying terrain grid on the map.

While certainly not "easy", it is possible to do this. It's actually been on a lower priority ToDo List for a few years now. I don't see it coming into the game any time soon.

Steve

An "LOS" command that toggles the painting of every terrain square I can't see black.

Why? if you only want to see what your unit sees lock your camera on them and look over their shoulders. I believe that was the original meaning of the term "Iron Man" play back-in-the-day. It can be done. It take a LOT of self-control but it can be done. Playing with that restriction (no overflights, no moving forward of your own troops), the AI is more than capable of dismantling your forces.