How does ECM work?

As far as I know, ECM prevents IEDs from going off within a radius of the vehicle, so If you park an ECM equipped warrior on top of an IED, you'll be able to run troops and vehicles past that IED until you move the warrior off again.

The IED comes back online again once the ECM "bubble" is too far away, which has caught me out at least once already in the campaign (Scimitar + IED = 3 instant KIA :()

Yip. It's not difficult to see why that would be the case. Hopefully the game is a little more forth coming. It could get a bit tricky developing force packages without the data.

I'm surprised that the US vehicles that would normally have ECM don't appear to have any even in 1.20. You would expect them to have an ECM capability on at least some of their vehicle types.

It's difficult to track this stuff down. There's an old leaked report which goes on about Warlock Red and Green playing havoc with other Blue communications devices, but it's terribly vague about the range of an individual jammer. I've seen somewhere (a while ago, can't find it again) one claiming to have a 1km jamming radius (or possibly diameter) :) ; in principle I don't see why it shouldn't be quite a large area to jam a mobile phone. Basically as soon as the jammer sees a mobile phone frequency in use it swamps that frequency with noise... least, that's how it seems they work. 'course, it's not only phones that are used to signal them. :(

Yip. It's not difficult to see why that would be the case. Hopefully the game is a little more forth coming. It could get a bit tricky developing force packages without the data.

I'm surprised that the US vehicles that would normally have ECM don't appear to have any even in 1.20. You would expect them to have an ECM capability on at least some of their vehicle types.

I asked a very similar question about the US CREW systems. Steve's response was something along the lines of "the US vehicles have a lower base chance of falling victim to remote IEDs". He also said that they would look into it to ensure that it was functioning, or something like that.

I was wondering if anyone knew how ECM worked in the game. Does a single vehicle create an ECM bubble that will protect others around it?

It should only be working for cell phone IED's. IRL IED jammer will "block" certain radio frequencies (example cell phone network's frequence 850 MHz and 1800 MHz). This way cell phone IED can't be detonated by trigger guy - the trigger call/message will arrive only after IED jammer signal is gone.

If the bad guys cant use cell phones to trigger IEDs they need to use wire. Wired IEDs are easier to spotter and trigger guy is much more vulnerable.

April 18, 2007: The United States has developed a new generation jammer for roadside bombs. In the next year, 10,000 CREW (counter radio-controlled IED electronic warfare) jammers will be delivered to the troops. EDO Communications, the manufacturer, has been providing such equipment since 2003. EDO first developed the Warlock electronic jammer, to prevent the enemy from setting off IEDs. Warlock is currently the most common jammer in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Warlock has gone through many revisions, to add more frequencies and better software.

Rolling along in a convoy, with one or more jammers broadcasting, the troops have an electronic "bubble" that made them safe from an IED they had not spotted.

The CREW jammer has lots of new features, most of which are secret. Terrorist groups have tried to find ways around the jammer, but have been unsuccessful. Most roadside bombs are now set off via a wire connection between the detonator and a nearby guy pressing a button. This has caused more terrorist casualties, and generally made it more difficult for the bombers. The big improvement in CREW is that it is easier to add new frequencies, and the jammer interferes less with other military communications and sensors.

080201-M-9943H-004.jpg

crew.jpg

Whats that dome? IED jammer? :)

Source: http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htecm/20070418.aspx

IED's are bad...

US%20v%20IED%20Deaths.JPG

It should only be working for cell phone IED's. IRL IED jammer will "block" certain radio frequencies (example cell phone network's frequence 850 MHz and 1800 MHz). This way cell phone IED can't be detonated by trigger guy - the trigger call/message will arrive only after IED jammer signal is gone.

If the bad guys cant use cell phones to trigger IEDs they need to use wire. Wired IEDs are easier to spotter and trigger guy is much more vulnerable.

April 18, 2007: The United States has developed a new generation jammer for roadside bombs. In the next year, 10,000 CREW (counter radio-controlled IED electronic warfare) jammers will be delivered to the troops. EDO Communications, the manufacturer, has been providing such equipment since 2003. EDO first developed the Warlock electronic jammer, to prevent the enemy from setting off IEDs. Warlock is currently the most common jammer in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Warlock has gone through many revisions, to add more frequencies and better software.

Rolling along in a convoy, with one or more jammers broadcasting, the troops have an electronic "bubble" that made them safe from an IED they had not spotted.

The CREW jammer has lots of new features, most of which are secret. Terrorist groups have tried to find ways around the jammer, but have been unsuccessful. Most roadside bombs are now set off via a wire connection between the detonator and a nearby guy pressing a button. This has caused more terrorist casualties, and generally made it more difficult for the bombers. The big improvement in CREW is that it is easier to add new frequencies, and the jammer interferes less with other military communications and sensors.

080201-M-9943H-004.jpg

crew.jpg

Whats that dome? IED jammer? :)

Source: http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htecm/20070418.aspx

IED's are bad...

US%20v%20IED%20Deaths.JPG

Yes..that is a jammer. Unfortunately, as much as I would love to talk at length about that particular system as I've personally used it, I'm going to avoid the wrath of the EW Officer above and simply state that it works awesome.

Almost too well, as the bad guys went back to the tried and true methods since none of their remote devices worked any more. In my AO there were a few hard wire command detonated IEDs, but mostly it was pressure detonated ones that we found...."christmas tree lights" and "anal bead" configurations and the like. After I got blown up we found the christmas tree lights wrapped around one of the road wheels on the brad..I was gonna keep it as a souvenier, but unfortunately lost it somewhere before we redeployed back home.

Yes..that is a jammer. Unfortunately, as much as I would love to talk at length about that particular system as I've personally used it, I'm going to avoid the wrath of the EW Officer above and simply state that it works awesome.

Bingo. It kind of sucks because you want them to get everything right in the game, but there are certain things the you just can't say.

"christmas tree lights" and "anal bead" ? care to explain what that means? (certain ways of trigger IEDs I understand, but exactly how?)

Essentially it's just a segment of insulated wire...double strand, like the power cable from the outlet to your desk lamp. The insultation is stripped from small segments and the exposed wires are kept apart usually by attaching them to something like the inside of a segment of plastic tube..it kinda looks like a bead on a string...and this is done in series all the way down the wire...thus, it looks like a string of anal beads. Rolling across it crushes the tube making the wires touch...circuit is closed and bomb goes boom.

"christmas tree lights" and "anal bead" ? care to explain what that means? (certain ways of trigger IEDs I understand, but exactly how?)

The Christmas Light initiation is pretty simple.

The two wires are seperated apart, and then used as a crush wire..Victim operated. When a vehicle drives over the two wires touch and the circuit is closed.

thanks for the info, this reminds me of an old swedish army manual from the 60s that showed peas in a canister of water and on the top a metall connector so when the peas swelled in the water after a while it detonates the bomb.

Intresting how many way there is to kill a human...

I read a BBC report from Afghanistan once that was supposed to be a daily update on the situation there, from a guy embedded with UK troops. Turned out to be a one-shot report at the end, apparantly because his laptop refused to work within a certain radius of their ECM equipped vehicle.

I can confirm that the ECM stuff does nothing against pressure plate or hard wire detonated IEDs. Since the info is all classified, and we didn't feel like trying to bribe Lt. Mike into committing treason ;), we simply stuck in a variable which greatly reduces the chances of radio/cellphone IEDs detonating when the operators want them to. It's the best we can do with the limited information we have.

Steve

Heh... yeah, but apparently they are illegal in the US. Not that I haven't seen someone with one, bought from Canada. Not that I've heard about the pissed off young urban types kept having to leave a bar to text and call each other about useless stuff outside instead of inside. (this is not me, BTW, since where I live we don't have young urban types ;)).

Steve

I can confirm that the ECM stuff does nothing against pressure plate or hard wire detonated IEDs. Since the info is all classified, and we didn't feel like trying to bribe Lt. Mike into committing treason ;), we simply stuck in a variable which greatly reduces the chances of radio/cellphone IEDs detonating when the operators want them to. It's the best we can do with the limited information we have.

Steve

Sounds good to me. Thanks for that Steve.

Can you confirm if it affects a radius around the vehicle and a planning guide as to what that might be? Only game data....we don't what you committing treason either. :D

Any plans for dismounted ECM system simulation for future releases/patches?

Yes, it affects a radius around the vehicle. I have no idea what it is ;) Well, other than it is large enough that if detonated outside of that radius it wouldn't likely cause damage to the vehicle with the ECM.

There's nothing to do in terms of planning. You just drive around and you'll never know if you got saved by it or not. From Red's side there's no planning either because it either goes off when you want it to or it doesn't. The only other option for Red is to purchase pressure plate or wired IEDs (if that is an option) instead of the radio/cellphone type.

Steve

Steve

Yes, it affects a radius around the vehicle. I have no idea what it is ;) Well, other than it is large enough that if detonated outside of that radius it wouldn't likely cause damage to the vehicle with the ECM.

There's nothing to do in terms of planning. You just drive around and you'll never know if you got saved by it or not. From Red's side there's no planning either because it either goes off when you want it to or it doesn't. The only other option for Red is to purchase pressure plate or wired IEDs (if that is an option) instead of the radio/cellphone type.

Steve

Thanks again Steve. My main point for planning data was to determine order of march, where and how far to put my ECM equipped vehicles from my none ECM equipped vehicles.

I guess if the radius is close to the vehicle then it may not allow enough spacing between vehicles to be tactically viable to plan vehicle packages.