What do the levels of difficulty do?

Just played the demo scenario where marines need to capture a town in order to allow the supply trucks to continue moving forward.

I won a major victory but on basic settings.

If i turn up the difficulty what happens?

a) do the ai get more aggressive

B) do they get smarter

c) do their stats go up. aka "cheating"

d) do they get more forces to play with

I need to know at each level what the ai and player get as advantages and disadvantages so that i can choose the most normal accurate hostorical setting.

The difficulty levels mostly involve "fog of war". In the lowest setting its rather easy to hover Godlike over the battlefield and know all things. In the highest setting when you click on a particular unit you only see what they see, know what they know. One 'gameplay' difference is artillery, air and mortars are called in slower to more closely reflect real-world times. The highest setting would be best to recreate real-world, the lowest would be considered a 'practice' setting.

The answers to a, b, c, and d are all 'no'. :)

i would play on the Elite setting, not on iron. the only difference there is, is that you need to spot youre own units, wich is a bit cumbersom. you need to deselect a unit every time to click a unit the one you selected cant see. everything else is the same.

i mean its "ok" in WEGO, but i would go Elite in realtime for sure.

There are tid-bits to be learned that aren't in the manual.

For instance, I played the game for almost two years before realizing those numbers inside the compass on the upper right is a military time clock! Before I realized, I'd look in the corner and see the numbers 1656 in the compass, five minutes later it would read 1601 and I didn't know why! :rolleyes:

hehe, whats military time? every microwave oven got a 24H display here where i live :D

even my mechanical watch got a 24H subdial.

Don't think anyone mentioned buddy-aid. At the higher difficulty settings buddy-aid takes longer.

for elite and iron it takes the same time, same counts for support fire. veteran makes the fire support and air support arive faster. on elite and iron its both "normal"

the manual says theres no difference between elite and iron. elite is the same as iron without the friendly unit spotting as far as i got it. if there would be another difference in FOW i would play iron for sure, but there isnt so i play elite :D

There are tid-bits to be learned that aren't in the manual.

For instance, I played the game for almost two years before realizing those numbers inside the compass on the upper right is a military time clock! Before I realized, I'd look in the corner and see the numbers 1656 in the compass, five minutes later it would read 1601 and I didn't know why! :rolleyes:

Uh, wouldn't it read 1701?