Ideal infantry engagement range

I have noticed in a couple of games that experienced (i.e crack/elite) US troops seem to be absolute killing machines at ranges below 100m in urban areas. Invariably a US fireteam gets ambushed at point blank range by green REDFOR, takes no casualties and after about 1 second or less starts putting in increadibly accurate fire back, wiping out the REDFOR before the turn ends.

First of all, for anyone who has been shot at, does this happen in real life?

Secondly and more importantly, what are peoples opinions on the ideal range for an infantry ambush? I am beginning to think that 100-150m is about right, the US squad will be pinned (hopefully), take a few casualties and you can dissappear before serious return fire comes your way.

hm, for me its 50m or less in urban areas. in open terrain up to a maximum of 125meters, or depending on the skill of the RPG teams. if youre ambush is cut up after a single turn by vehicles after opening up its sensless to open up at all. so i try to make sure my RPGs will hit when the heat goes up.

elite americans :D !? go bring some t55s at least and lob some 100mm HE to their heads, possibly they start dieing then ;)

Yeah, tanks and RPG's are all you have really as the Syrians. I remember getting thrashed playing as uncons because small arms from badly trained insurgents seem to to be ineffective against western troops and I didn't have HE.

Pandur - 50m is what I thought at first, how could a point blank ambush go wrong? Well it seems like my uncons can't hit anything at that range anyway but the US Marines certainly can! The same thing has just happened to me in reverse today which is why I posted. 2 US Army guys (crack) run into a house and take fire from across the street. As they return fire they wipe out most of a Syrian squad and an uncon team before they are eventually gunned down by a well placed RPG!

Yeah, tanks and RPG's are all you have really as the Syrians. I remember getting thrashed playing as uncons because small arms from badly trained insurgents seem to to be ineffective against western troops and I didn't have HE.

well the hard part is, if you can manage to, at least localy, win or temorarely dominate the tank war or at least keep the US vehicles far off with AT threat, you can use the syrian inf verry sucessfully in this local areas.

you talking uncons here, with these i play a bit differently then with syrian regulars. a syrian regular squad has at least 8 man, a uncon squad to a max of 5 or so as far as i remember now.

you have to calaculate with this at bring more "units" to the fight then with regulars where you get more man when compared with the same amount of uncon units.

2 US Army guys (crack) run into a house and take fire from across the street. As they return fire they wipe out most of a Syrian squad and an uncon team before they are eventually gunned down by a well placed RPG!

thats the moments one remembers the best :D i know this, possibly it was a vehicles crew too, wich should be "crack" in useing their vehicle but not with their "rifles" :D

argh i hate those.

anyways, this is something wich has to be determined and balanced by BFC and i think noone can give any hints or tips there for real.

i mean, yes you had verry good odds, you where close and fired first and blahblah, but the US is modeled verry strong, and with crack infantry...yes, one could say they got lucky too.

did you follow these two through the battle? did this 2 man unit survive any longer and possibly killed even more guys? did they survive to the end?

EDIT

hm, what a great display of competence by myself :D

before they are eventually gunned down by a well placed RPG!

should have read the end...

I can't seem to see any definite pattern for close in combat. I've had an entire squad gunned down in seconds (VERY painful to watch), and I've had an entire squad unscratched after a prolonged inihouse firefight. The trick seems to be supression. If you can get even a couple of the enemy to duck then you've got overwhelming firepower on your side. The absolute best for this is demo charges. Blow up a facade before entering and you'll find everyone on the floor inside. Easy pickin's

The Marine field expedient version, a mortar shell or two strapped to a propane canister was repeated cited as being VERY useful in Fallujah. Given the luxury of a planned assault, I would have entire convoys of them stacked up behind my assault troops in a MOUT action.

Of course the really nifty trick is sitting them on top of a cheap robot. Just drive a medium size FAE bomb into the front room and ask, via remote mike, if anyone still wants to play? If it draws fire you know you can justify more expensive ranged PGMs on the building.