Lack of ammo for grunts in Stryker?

I love playing Marines, but today I fell back and played the original campaign from the begining and just finished the airfield mission, 2 things buged me allot:

1. only TWO M136 per squad and no more replenish in stryker

2. No more 40mm ammo to pick up in Stryker.

Comparing this with the Marines AAVs that loaded with both M72 and M136 plus 2 different 40mm grenades I find the army units have a pretty short combat time, relying on the 3 Javelins per squad isnt enough for me.

So how can it be the Strykers are lacking extra 40mm and M136?

/Thomas

Its not that army deserves fewer acquireables, its more that BFC didn't realize what a great thing acquireables was until after the game had been played thoroughly for awhile. Marines benefited from 'lessons learned' from the Army basegame release. You could say Styrker loadout is a "legacy" feature from early in the game desgn cycle.

Hmm, some 7.62 would be nice.

Playing with some recce units, the 5 man scout squad includes an M240. Their organic Stryker RV has Javelins and 5.56, but no 7.62.

I'd like to see the ability to add extra ammo (to include 40mm, all rifle calibers (.50 cal?), and hand grenades) in the editor.

Ken

This is what one book source quoted:

40 mm 430 rounds or

50 cal 2000 rounds

7.62 mm 3200 rounds

5.56 mm carbine 2240 rounds

SAW 1120 (belted)

smoke grenades 32

Javelins 4

So for the standard m1126, the only thing discrepancy I see is one missing Javelin round.

Of course this is only the official loadout and I wonder how much variance we see in this in real-life usage.

Yes, but what about for the Recon variant of the Stryker? The squads have 7.62 weapons, but no ammo in the vehicle.

There are other, admittedly minor, issues as well. The M136; the inability to reload a .50 sniper rifle; no grenades; etc.

The default loadout of the Stryker (ICV) seems like a pretty good compromise. The loadout of the Recon variant seems like it may be missing some ammo.

A tweak to the vehicle loadout defaults would be nice.

Regardless, having an option in the editor which allows the scenario builder to modify the defaults would be a boon. I envision, in my codeless world of imagination, the ability to change each vehicle's ammo loadout in the purchase screen. Right click on a vehicle and see a grid of possible ammo "hooks"; have a series of ammo types beneath; simply drag and drop the ammo you want onto the empty squares representing the ammo carrying capability of the vehicle. :) See? It's easy in my head...

Or, have a system similar to CMx1. A little clunkier, but it'd get the job done.

Ken

This is what one book source quoted:

40 mm 430 rounds or

50 cal 2000 rounds

7.62 mm 3200 rounds

5.56 mm carbine 2240 rounds

SAW 1120 (belted)

smoke grenades 32

Javelins 4

Would those 40 mm rounds be for the Mk 19 launcher since it says 40 mm *or* 50 cal (and therefore probably correspondant to the veichle´s armament)? If so, it would seem that 40 mm "blooper" grenades are missing from the standard Stryker loadout.

Oh! Sorry, I was talking about the 40mm rounds we are adding... not what is already in the game. To be clear, vehicles with the Mk19 already have what they should in terms of ammo. The issue is that the 40mm rounds used by M203 Grenade Launchers aren't in the Strykers, as the original poster pointed out. These rounds are NOT the same as the ones used for the Mk19, so there can be no sharing between the two. The Mk19's rounds have larger charges in them. Therefore, what we added is (IIRC) 40x 40mm HEDP rounds for the M203s.

Steve

Steve,

Very nice! Not to be a greedy, grasping, "always asking for more", but any word on hand grenade reloads? :)

Actually, I have a lot of other questions about reloads. Tell you what; send me a link so I can download 1.2, and I'll answer them myself and spare you the trouble! Sounds good to me...

;)

Thanks,

Ken

Actually, what extra ammo is supposed to be in a Stryker per SOP? There already is quite a lot in a Stryker, would there really be room for much more?

There is no "standard" for extra ammo, per say...at least not Army wide....when I was in Iraq though we loaded every vehicle with as much ammo as it could carry of any type we could get our hands on. My 1114 contained an empty Mk-19 ammo can that we had our engineers bolt to the turret filled with extra grenades and other pyro that the gunner could dig into if we needed it, a few AT-4's strapped to the back of the turret, in the crew compartment we had 6 cans on 7.62mm link (or 5 cans .50 cal API and 1 can .50 cal SLAP, obviously depending on the weapon system), a pyro bag filled with grenades, smoke, flares, etc., and an ammo box filled with spare prefilled M-16 magazines, and in the trunk we had 2 cases of 5.56mm ball, and 1 case of 5.56mm link.

Unfortunately we couldn't get rockets for it, but I wanted to toss in a SMAW from the Marine unit we were attached to. That would have been nice.

Anyway, yea, assuming that your higher unit can get it, spare ammo isn't really a problem when you have vehicles, whether it's a HMMWV, Styker, Bradley, whatever.