Riding on Vehicles

I have just started playing this game and have been trying to figure out how to load units back onto vehicles? I can unload them easily but don't know how to get them back on. There doesn't seem to be anywhere in the rules where it mentions this and how to do it. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

I have just started playing this game and have been trying to figure out how to load units back onto vehicles? I can unload them easily but don't know how to get them back on. There doesn't seem to be anywhere in the rules where it mentions this and how to do it. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

You just select any movement order and point them at a vehicle. The icon should change. Make sure there is enough room in your ride :)

Welcome to the Forum: Give a movement order to the infantry, place the cursor over the vehicle until you see the green arrow icon turn downward. If the Cursor changes to a blue color you cannot load that infantry in that vehicle for reasons of space. Hope this helps. If not there is a very good explanation with pics in the manual. Enjoy the game!

Markat, since you're new to the game, make sure that you're running the latest version (v1.11). It offers a very great number of substantial improvements over the earlier releases. You can see the version number that you have when you first start the game, below the menu.

Mounting units can be a bit confusing before you've become familiar with vehicles too. You try to place a movement icon over a Bradley and it doesn't allow mounting. Most probably because that particular vehicle type is a Recce variety so takes fewer troops. Hey, if it was simple we would've got bored with it by now! :)

This does bring up an interesting area. As for the modern era most western armies ride iINSIDE the vehicle where as we have seen others (most recently in the Russian/Georgian conflict) troops riding on top of their BTRs and BMPS. Im not sure if this is a normal technique used by the Syrians or not. Regardless, in game they do not. As for US troops I think it would take at least 15 PT belts and 5 SGMs having a corinary per soldier for that to be approved.

But as for CM: Normandy I fully expect to see the ability of troops to ride on tanks as this was a very normal practice in that time.

Steve

Riding tanks into combat would be roughly the same as commandeering a city bus to take troops into combat. Its may be commonly done but you only try stuff like that a considerable distance from the enemy. If given the option of walking the last three km to the front or sitting atop a T62 as a Javelin slams into it, your average soldier may prefer to walk. Road marches can go for miles and miles with no danger. CM maps are always at the 'tip of the spear' where you know the enemy's close by.

This does bring up an interesting area. As for the modern era most western armies ride iINSIDE the vehicle where as we have seen others (most recently in the Russian/Georgian conflict) troops riding on top of their BTRs and BMPS. Im not sure if this is a normal technique used by the Syrians or not. Regardless, in game they do not. As for US troops I think it would take at least 15 PT belts and 5 SGMs having a corinary per soldier for that to be approved.

But as for CM: Normandy I fully expect to see the ability of troops to ride on tanks as this was a very normal practice in that time.

Steve

Any of the units I have seen where they are riding on the exterior of the vehicle were mostly former Soviet Bloc countries and as such were using Soviet Bloc equipment. I believe it was for two reasons: first being their entry/egress hatches were not user friendly, such as those on the BTR series and secondly the vehicle design doesn't incorporate many survivability features so safer on the exterior.

You're right about the SGM/CSM's having coronaries about approving riding on the exterior of the vehicle.....would be out of control. We did have a similar experience when I was stationed with 25th ID in Hawaii. We were going to NTC and were looking for quicker ways around the battlefield. While some will thump on their chests about how great it is to be a light fighter (realities of walking versus someone that just wears the patch) the truth is no one was wanting to move around NTC on foot with 100+ pounds of kit so DIV thought we could link into M1 Abrams with snaplinks and rope attached to various anchor points on the turret. After all, the Heavy Team that was attached to our BN wanted additional light fighters to support their movement. Well, that may brief well and if the turret never traverses and if the sun continues to shine......you get the message. Anywho....we tried it without coordinating with the unit about their TTP's and it was hilarious, watching a fireteam moving with the turret, avoiding deck fixtures and such. We didn't realize that the tankers would constantly be traversing their turrets, searching for targets. Bottom line, it sucked!

Riding tanks into combat....

True, true! As anyone who has played CMx1 figured out, it's easy to scatter mounted troops with a burst or two from your MGs! I guess I should have clarified, I didn't necessarily mean to fight mounted as opposed to the ability to move troops around the battlefield quickly. Don't think I would want to be hanging on to of a tank when the shooting starts!

StrykerPSG

You're right about the light fighter mentality, lots of people like to talk a good game but light infantry is anything but! I spent a few years walking to work too, and I really dont miss humping the extra 100lbs (OK it wasn't quite that much :D) of radios and BATTERIES!!

As for the NTC story I had to laugh. It's funny how many things out there "brief" well but when put into application they just don't seem to work out!

Steve

SDSmack, it's always great to look at your past and get a good laugh. Ironically, it's never funny as it's happening. Needless to say, we spent the rest of the rotation walking and getting rides where we could. There's much to be said for an organization that has organic transportation, beit helos, wheels or tracks.