Recovery

I was just playing the scenario Just Another Day (which was GREAT, btw!)

One of my Strykers had gotten stuck in a ditch and became 'immobilized'.

Now, Is there any way to pull another stryker up to him, hook up, and pull him out of that ditch? We do it in real life all the time, it takes somewhere around 5 minutes to do, and we dont lose any vehicles.

I think that when a vehicle is 'bogged' it is possible to recover it (the process is abstracted so you don't see the methods used to extract the vehicle). When a vehicle becomes 'immobilised' something has gone very wrong and the recovery process has got to the point where special equipment has to be set up.

I might be wrong, i don't get enough vehicles stuck in CMSF to be able to say for sure!

I think that when a vehicle is 'bogged' it is possible to recover it (the process is abstracted so you don't see the methods used to extract the vehicle). ... I might be wrong, i don't get enough vehicles stuck in CMSF to be able to say for sure!

Correct. I watched it happen last night. The vehicle in question sort of did a little dance and wobbled until it freed itself.

I think that when a vehicle is 'bogged' it is possible to recover it.... When a vehicle becomes 'immobilised' something has gone very wrong and the recovery process has got to the point where special equipment has to be set up.

As I understand it, "bogged" means a vehicle is in the process of getting stuck in the terrain; this is indicated by the vehicle's wheels/tracks continuing to move alternatingly backwards and forwards while the vehicle is stationary. If a vehicle remains "bogged" so that it is actually stuck, then its status changes to "immobilized".

"Immobilized" status can also be a result of damage to the vehicle, which (in game) most often is the result of enemy fire -- an RPG hits the running gear and blasts the track apart; 12.7mm MG fire turns a Stryker's wheels into Swiss cheese; or an SPG-9 round turns a Bradley's engine into iron fillings.

Just because a vehicle is "immobilized" doesn't mean it couldn't be recovered in short order, as in the situation LT Mike describes above. For example, a Bradley could still be towed if it suffered an engine-disabling hit from an RPG, since the running gear itself is intact.

... "bogged" means a vehicle is in the process of getting stuck in the terrain; ...

Personally, I choose to also view it as being that the vehicle may have suffered a minor mechanical breakdown, which has the potential to become a major mechanical breakdown.

Personally, I choose to also view it as being that the vehicle may have suffered a minor mechanical breakdown, which has the potential to become a major mechanical breakdown.

Good point. I concur.

Don't see it happening but it would be a cool thing to have, maybe abstracted similar to medical aid.

Good vehicle stops next to bogged vehicle, after a few minutes bogged vehicle is pulled out.

Guess you might need to add a new button to the GUI.

By the way, I've had to do it once and my buddies a few times during a mission while in contact.

Of course, we waited untill things moved away a few blocks before dismounting and calling an M88 forward, but the mechanics still didn't look to pleased ;)

The way we look at it is this:

Bogged - something "sub optimal" ;) just happened to the vehicle and its interaction with the terrain. There's a chance that the vehicle might be able to get out of it, but might not. Experience has a lot to do with both avoiding getting Bogged and getting out. Of course tons of other factors are at play and any one of them can be enough to cause a problem.

Immobilized (no enemy action) - well, now you're screwed :D Any chance of your vehicle getting unstuck is now gone. Gone either because the vehicle is now in so bad that recovery is not a viable option within the setting of the battle *or* something broke during the Bogging process. In a LONG and argumentative thread about bogging/immobilizing I linked to a vid of a Canadian LAV III that not only got stuck real bad in Afghanistan, but in the process it broke a tie rod on one of its 8 wheels. Not a field fix.

In reality there should be something inbetween. I personally would love to see:

1. A state where the vehicle is beyond self recovery, but can be aided by another vehicle pushing/pulling.

2. A state where the vehicle can be freed up, but only after some random amount of time with the crew bailed out and working on the problem.

Eventually I'm sure we'll get these in. But neither are top priority for now.

Steve

Someone (it may have been Steve) once mentioned a video of an Army(?) humvee busting down a wrought iron gate to get to a fleeing insurgent. The insurgent was captured, and the humvee got messed-up bad by the debris under the vehicle. I think someone mentioned the vehicle commander and driver getting into an on-camera fistfight over the incident! ...though my telling of the story is only third hand. :)

I must have missed that one!

BTW, back to the LAV III video. A bust tie rod is a very, very easy fix to do in place provided that you have the necessary replacement parts, time, and opportunity. Chances are this would not be possible to fix within the course of even the longest of CM battles because one of those three elements would be absent. Recovery between battles would be a piece of cake.

Steve

When faced with a bogged vehicle I tend to get the best results with reversing or slow forward commands out of the bogging. Maybe its just my superstition, but I have the impression that any fast move out of the bogged status will lead to immobilized vehicles.

This seems logic as well in my eyes, the more force on a specific part, the easier it will brake.