Sound Modding

Yup, all .wavs. Folders and file names are generally self-explanatory. Where a file name has multiple versions with different numbers at the end (e.g. "gun 5 m16 0" and "gun 5 m16 1"), they game will randomly chose one to play for the given sound.

The most difficult to work with are explosions, hits and penetrations, as these are not labelled according to the particular source of the sound, e.g. explosions progress from "explosion a" through "explosion o," but these are not tied to particular weapons systems and many are shared (and sometimes not in a logical manner). Also, some weapon explosions can draw on multiple explosion sounds, which complicates things further.

Yes. I just add an x to the original file name and then put the new sound with the old name if you have the original in the z folder.

Ex:

gun 5 m249 0

Rename to gun 5 m249 0xxxx.

Save new sound file as gun 5 m249 0.

If you never exploded the sounds, just put the new file in the z folder with the original name.

I think this should work for you.

• 1 year later...

Here's a bit of an update on trying to get a good mg sound. Here's my current M249 sound (this is a recording from a mission I'm playing so you can hear it in action). Comments/suggestions? I've never fired a M249 so I'm kind of geusstimating what sounds right. Note that I put 2 shots in the sound file so it sounds a bit faster and keeps some "chatter".

May be a bit LOUD btw, you've been warned.

http://www.filefront.com/16741317/M249.zip

Nice sound Ryujin. What I've always specifically been looking for is the clear POP of gunshots. It's cool to hear the linkage dropping and the action of the gun itself, but really only the gunner is going to hear that. The rest of the battlefield will not hear that, only the crisp pop. The problem with recorded sounds are that they are almost always distorted by the microphone. If you watch/listen to a bunch of different videos, you'll notice they all sound different.

Well there's tons of problems with the videos. Most are recorded next to the shooter and most mics cut out with sounds that loud. I've been slowly finding sounds recorded at a distance with high quality mics, but it's taking forever. However I've got some pretty good sounds for some of the guns, it's just a lot of googling and looking.

EDIT: Here's a "beta" of my sound mod for those who want to give it a try and give some feedback. Includes some of the sounds theFightingSeabee passed along. (NOT A FINISHED PRODUCT, WORK IN PROGRESS)

http://www.filefront.com/16761039/HD%20Sound%20v0.45.zip

for those who want to give it a try and give some feedback

Disclaimer: I have no firsthand familiarity with modern military firearms, not even the sounds thereof.

I deactivated my other sound mods (to obviate confusion) then plugged in your beta and fired up "USMC Circle The Wagons". The M249 has a good "chatter" like LoftLeftFlank was talking about. I think that overall the sounds are very good; the Ma Deuce definitely conveys oomph. The new background wav seems to add immediacy to the experience. Partly because I play real-time, I tend to take a bird's-eye view of the battlefield. The small arms sounded as if I had the camera in a "grunt's-eye view" position. This suggests that this collection of sounds might be more suited for someone who plays with the camera usually at ground level or thereabouts.

I very much look forward to updates. :)

I'll check out the sounds. Having been in a military unit for 6 years and having fired and witnessed firing of many of these weapons, I'll give you my opinion. Barring totally unrealistic sounds, individual tastes will determine the best. For example, firing an M16 sounds much different than actually standing behind someone firing one, and much different still than having one shot in your direction. Being some distance away will actually also make it sound differently. These are due to many factors including the air, humidity, weather, distance, direction, and environment. A gunshot in the woods on a hot and humid day will sound different than the same shot on a cold night in an urban area. Whatever the case, I will give you my humble opinion later.

Certainly, ideally I'd like to get a ~100m sound for everything, but it's hard to find/make. I can edit sounds a bit, but nothing major.

Any help is appreciated, if you can help point me in the right direction I think I can try to build as authentic as CMSF will allow. I've found that a good sound mod makes a HUGE difference, probably more so than just reskining the units (still working on those though).