It's Alive ... PT Boats: Knights of the Sea

I was certain that this was vaporware, the last post to the English forum was a year ago.

But now there's a Russian language demo out so ... you can get the link and so forth at SubSim.com

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=1106558#post1106558

I've been looking for this game for years now, I've always wanted to get a good MTB sim. Too early to tell how "good" it's going to be of course.

Joe

I DLed the demo ... mostly because, after all these years, I wanted to see how it looked and felt.

Obviously it IS in Russian which diminishes the ability figure out what the hell it's trying to tell you at any given point. But I was able to get the first tutorial mission loaded. I couldn't really do anything with it other than drive the boat but the boat drives nicely and the control system (WASD) works quite well. The graphics aren't magnificent but they are more than adequate to enjoy that part of the game.

My biggest concern has always been the spin they put on the game. I, like most here, want a true MTB simulation but I'm very much afraid it's going to be more of an arcade game. The few comments I've read on the boards seem to say it tilts in that direction with campaigns and missions that require you to, for example, pull secret documents from an abandoned U-boat ... whatever.

No idea if there's a mission builder yet but they promise multiplayer and apparently you can go to any gun position and fire that or play it more from a skipper view or even a "commodore" view where you control the group of MTBs ... they say ... maybe.

The models are very good and represent a good number of the common (and some uncommon) MTBs and other combatants in the North Sea and (I think) the Black Sea, including Vospers, Fairmile "Dog" boats, HDMLs and US Elco PTs. On the German side you have three flavors of S Boats, at least one R Boat and, from what I can tell, three or four barges, Armed Trawlers and perhaps an F Lighter. They've got a good mix of Russian MTBs that I was completely unfamiliar with. It also has subs, planes, merchants and Destroyers. I'm sure there are many others that I didn't see in the file contents.

From what I can see on the various boards they'll be publishing an English demo within the next couple of weeks and it'll be available for purchase shortly thereafter.

Joe

Thanks for the info Joe. Happy to hear an English demo will be out in a few weeks.

I'm curious to hear what you guys think about this one...

I'm pretty sure I know what this means.

Translation: We're either negotiating a publishing deal or considering it.

I like boats. Like blowing up boats, too. Having said that, I always liked that we had an original exclusive naval sim on offer as well for Battlefront (Dangerous Waters), too bad they became too greedy :) Not sure if PT Boats is the right cup of tea though. It seems pretty arcade?

I like boats. Like blowing up boats, too. Having said that, I always liked that we had an original exclusive naval sim on offer as well for Battlefront (Dangerous Waters), too bad they became too greedy :) Not sure if PT Boats is the right cup of tea though. It seems pretty arcade?
Yeah, as I mentioned that's certainly my concern. They started off with the intent to make a solid sim and the choice of theaters and vessels reflected that. But I suspect that it got too difficult and they had to scale back and go the arcade route.

We'll see ... too early to tell for sure.

Joe

Depends on how arcade it is. Hardcore realism isn't a virtue by itself. Games like IL-2 and that recent Russian tank game turned me off because it wanted me to hit too many buttons. Simplicity in a realistic environment is more my thing. Like Silent Hunter III.

In SHIII I had a disturbing habit to charge in to small convoys at high speed, engaging the DEs with cannon fire before launching torpedoes at point blank range without too much bothering with a targeting solution. So who am I kidding? I'll deffo try out the English demo, and I expect to like it. :D

In SHIII I had a disturbing habit to charge in to small convoys at high speed, engaging the DEs with cannon fire before launching torpedoes at point blank range without too much bothering with a targeting solution. So who am I kidding? I'll deffo try out the English demo, and I expect to like it.

Those are good points. I wonder how many of the hardcore realism grogs actually play on the highest settings at all :) Having said that, for me I guess it depends on the underlying realism, not so much on the game mechanics. I don't want to learn how to actually fly a plane or steer a submarine before I am able to enjoy the game. No time for that. But knowing that when I fire at something there is more going on than hitpoints being deducted does increase my enjoyment.

I wonder how many of the hardcore realism grogs actually play on the highest settings at all :) Having said that, for me I guess it depends on the underlying realism, not so much on the game mechanics. I don't want to learn how to actually fly a plane or steer a submarine before I am able to enjoy the game. No time for that. But knowing that when I fire at something there is more going on than hitpoints being deducted does increase my enjoyment.

That's about where I've been all along. I emphatically don't want total realism. That would be uncomfortable, to say the least. But neither do I want games that insult my intelligence and what I know about what went on.

I gave up on flight sims partly because the genre seemed to bifurcate a decade ago along two poles. Either they were so detailed that just learning to play them became a career, or they were arcade-like to the point that they were...well, pointless. At least as far as I was concerned.

There's a sweet spot where a game covers what I think are the important points and keeps them in proper perspective without demanding that you go back to college before you know how to make it all go. The real art is finding that sweet spot and knowing when you've found it before you've designed all the life out of it.

Michael

I think this is part of the reason why Red Orchestra is a success, although it's primarily a shooter but it has sim-like tanks. Love it or hate it, these guys are onto something. Fitting nicely between hardcore sims and arcade shootfests.

I've never heard anybody say IL2 is too hard, the game is genius. You can fully scale it to your liking, from full hardcore sim settings all the way to turning it into an arcade shootfest. I mean really, if you don't have the patience to map controls to your joystick than thats hardly the games fault.

Anyways, I was under the impression this PT boats was more of a sim than arcade. Oh well, either way, gonna try out the demo shortly.

• 4 months later...

**BUMP**

In case you diehard GF fans missed the big announcement awhile back.

Battlefront.com, an independent internet-based publisher for superior war and strategy games and one of the internet's largest wargaming communities, and Akella, one of Eastern Europe's leading development and publishing houses, proudly present „PT Boats: Knights of the Sea“!
http://www.battlefront.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=118