Is it possible? Is Task Force Panther actually released?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Normal Dude,

The enclosed .PDF files were quite a boon, and it's clear that you put a ton of work into it. It's going to be some time before I'll have a chance to play the campaign, but I found it irresistible to scrutinize the .PDFs. I was pleasantly surprised to see just how far your thoughtfulness in generating this package was willing to go, I mean, you even included a printer friendly version of the .PDF!

Thanks!

Now, I hope that you don't think that I'm just trying to set you up to kick sand in your face, because...

There's a NVD graphic on page 18 of the printer friendly version that needs to go back one layer/or have the color of the text altered so that they can be read. This isn't an issue in the other version of the document.

I hope that someday soon I'll have a shot at your campaign. It's clear that your level of devotion towards it is as professional as they come!

Thank you for all of your hard work!

I'm playing scenario one.

********SPOILERS*************

I just took out the BTR probe, killed 2 with my initial guy's AT4s, then had some infantry flank the other and M203 it to death. I have also killed 2/3 of the parked BTRs with mortar fire; I'm not sure if I want to just leave them alone and Charlie Mike, or re-visit them with some follow on fire.

I think I have received all reinforcements.

I like the pdf; one minor thing, is that you list psyops under 18th Corps when they should be under SOCOM. No big deal. I will have some screenshots in the screenshot thread shortly.

WOW ND!

This is really good. I haven't started it yet but looked through the briefing. I really like the level of detail that you have included. Honestly I think that details like that in the briefings really help immerse oneself in the campaign.

The only thing I saw that was inaccurate was that 2nd HBCT, 1 ID actually is pushing up through the Euphrates River Valley....or at least in my campaign it is! :D

Great stuff, I look forward to playing.

Steve-o

I just finished scenario 1 - Knees to the Breeze (I love that title).

I will try to avoid any major spoilers. I played RT on Elite setting.

I opted to run my pixeltruppen down the runway, keeping away from built up areas. Since it was night and the Syrians don't have the best NV equipment, I kept my distance until my forces were opposite the air terminal.

Got in a scrap with a vehicle patrol on route but made short work of them.

Once in position, I closed with the terminal and secondary objective buildings. Base plan - simultaneous plt assaults on the two secondary buildings complexes adjacent the terminal with third plt as fire base. Took the complexes without too much problem. Then all three plts assaulted the terminal for three sides. Met resistance but with three full plts assaulting and clearing, the defenders were quickly overwhelmed. Objectives secured.

I then had one plt take defensive positions on the terminal complex and two plts then pushed out to clear the perimeter complexes. Engaged multiple enemy positions but through mutual support, the two plts crushed the opposing forces and took defensive positions up facing east where more enemy was spotted further to the east. Two airstrikes took out more BTRs and a building full of infantry.

I decided to stand firm as I hit all my objectives and since conservation of forces was one of my main limiters, I didn't push further to the east and awaited for a counterattack, which didn't materialize during the 10 minute wait. I opted for the cease fire rather than run the game out with 40 minutes left on the clock.

I got a total victory and my losses were 1 KIA and 3WIA. There was no replay at any point.

All and all, a fun scenario. Given the warning that the campaign is quite difficult, I was anticipating much stronger opposition and expecting a counterattack. I either took the correct approach and bypassed most of the enemy or I got a AI plan which played to my strengths and tactics and got owned. Now on to the next scenario - holding on to the terminal should be a interesting fight.

Super pdf, Normal Dude. That alone puts the campaign in a class of its own for production values. Very nice map for the first scenario as well.

I look forward to the rest of the campaign!

************SPOILERS**********

There may be some combatant movement from the east, but you did indeed bypass a good number of dangerous close-in fighting. I took no casualties in the actual terminal, but had 1 KIA;2 WIA trying to move to the "Clear Perimeter" positions. The entire platoon was ambushed in a 360 degree killzone that I stupidly walked into, even thought I thought it was suspect. To their credit, they pulled through okay.

**************SPOILERS*************

Yes, I noted the sea of red to the east at the scenario results window. I am sure glad I opted to not go that way and I pity the poor bugger who thinks that taking to the urban terrain right away to close up to the teminal is the best way.

I lost my 1 KIA in the battle with the vehicle patrol. One of the plt headquarters personnel took a heavy machine gun round through the head. Other than that, the results are as good as one could hope for.

**********SPOILERS************

All and all, a fun scenario. Given the warning that the campaign is quite difficult, I was anticipating much stronger opposition and expecting a counterattack. I either took the correct approach and bypassed most of the enemy or I got a AI plan which played to my strengths and tactics and got owned. Now on to the next scenario - holding on to the terminal should be a interesting fight.!

I'd say both. The AI plans for this scenario are pretty varied. You most likely got an AI plan where the AI mounted a forward defense which you then bypassed; there are other plans where this would have been the opposite case. Could you send me your last turn? Part of the mission objectives was to clear out Red from the map, so I may need to emphasize that a bit more in the point balance.

Geez, I might have dialed the difficulty down a bit too much. :eek:

****SPOILERS****

No way, dude. That 2nd wave was rough. I was expecting them to inch forward like the first one, and they didn't. They rolled straight to my CP and killed one of my supply trucks (thankfully after giving up his supply of Javelins...)

I was just very very very lucky. I had pre-spotted my air assets to strike just in front of my CP, the middle of the factory, and the entrance to the factory. By the time the 2nd wave showed up, Warpigs were 30seconds to a minute out and Ikept my guys hidden.

So far, Bear platoon has taken the majority of my casualties. I was disheartened to see them tasked with Scenario 3, which promises to be a grueling city-fight. Havoc has 2 men down, and a few lightly wounded. I think Bushwacker is all green. Shadow 1 / B lost their team leader from artillery.

****SPOILERS****

No way, dude. That 2nd wave was rough. I was expecting them to inch forward like the first one, and they didn't. They rolled straight to my CP and killed one of my supply trucks (thankfully after giving up his supply of Javelins...)

I was just very very very lucky. I had pre-spotted my air assets to strike just in front of my CP, the middle of the factory, and the entrance to the factory. By the time the 2nd wave showed up, Warpigs were 30seconds to a minute out and Ikept my guys hidden.

So far, Bear platoon has taken the majority of my casualties. I was disheartened to see them tasked with Scenario 3, which promises to be a grueling city-fight. Havoc has 2 men down, and a few lightly wounded. I think Bushwacker is all green. Shadow 1 / B lost their team leader from artillery.

*******SPOILER*********

Were you forced to use your AT-4s? The single-scenario version of this has only two A-10s, which forces the player to use close ambushes with LAWs and AT-4s. I want the player to have to use everything, without being screwed by one platform missing too much. If the A-10s/Javs killed everything before the infantry had to do their lifting, then I may have to remove an A-10 and add another supply truck.

Also, if you could send me your last turn, I would appreciate it. ;)

It is also worth mentioning for the people that haven't tried this yet, that you are expected to keep your casualties very, very low. Suffering 10% casualties results in Red player getting 600 bonus points - over the normal point balance! The point balance is 1,000 possible points per side, so 600 is a MAJOR ding. Another 10% "yellow" troops, losing commanders and special units, running low on ammo, etc, will ding you even more points.

Here's some pics (thumbnails, click for full image):

Ghost 1 mans an OP in the countryside:

cmshockforce20090514120.th.png

A close up of the mod meant to work with this campaign:

cmshockforce20090514120.th.png

Assaulting the international terminal:

cmshockforce20090514121x.th.png

Race across this town to get the informant before the fighters do:

cmshockforce20090514122.th.png

*******SPOILER*********

Were you forced to use your AT-4s? The single-scenario version of this has only two A-10s, which forces the player to use close ambushes with LAWs and AT-4s. I want the player to have to use everything, without being screwed by one platform missing too much. If the A-10s/Javs killed everything before the infantry had to do their lifting, then I may have to remove an A-10 and add another supply truck.

Also, if you could send me your last turn, I would appreciate it. ;)

Bear platoon used all AT-4s except the PL. I moved him into position so that he could fire, but by the time he got there, there was no need. Some of Bushwacker expended their AT4s at range, and I think they managed to bag one BMP. Havoc fired every AT-4 they had and killed 4 BMPs, after that, I had them secure the bottom floors. The XVIIIth Corps guys got caught in the open, and had to turn back. They were very lucky and were not killed.

I didn't save at the last turn, I saved at the beginning of Scenario 3. I can replay it if you want.

I completely forgot about the supply trucks until my javelins had expended all of their rounds. One was killed by a BMP, the other managed to hide in some buildings.

I'm using your DCU mod, quickly modified for the campaign with some 82nd insignia.

*edit*

I think the support is okay. JTAC gets them there in 3, officers in 4, and others in 5. Especially since the 2nd wave does a massive blitzkrieg, I just don't see a need. Besides, I would think that story-wise, the airfield would be priority 1 for TF Panther until they're able to push out.

**********SPOILERS************

I'd say both. The AI plans for this scenario are pretty varied. You most likely got an AI plan where the AI mounted a forward defense which you then bypassed; there are other plans where this would have been the opposite case. Could you send me your last turn? Part of the mission objectives was to clear out Red from the map, so I may need to emphasize that a bit more in the point balance.

Drat. I checked and I overwrote the last game turn with the start of scenario 2. So no help there. But I can confirm from the end of scenario screens that I got 1000 pts so I achieved all objectives outlined and that there were no red forces left in the terminal, secondary buildings, or the marked perimeter complexes. The only red forces were to the east. So I am not clear on what red forces were to be cleared out, unless it was the red forces in the objective areas and I can confirm, I destroyed them all so I would say the missions objectives probably not need fine tuning at this point until there is more feedback from others.

I will let you know how scenario 2 goes. And I will keep a last game save file if you would like.

But I can confirm from the end of scenario screens that I got 1000 pts so I achieved all objectives outlined and that there were no red forces left in the terminal, secondary buildings, or the marked perimeter complexes. The only red forces were to the east. So I am not clear on what red forces were to be cleared out, unless it was the red forces in the objective areas and I can confirm, I destroyed them all so I would say the missions objectives probably not need fine tuning at this point until there is more feedback from others..

You did everything you were expected to. Earlier I had another objective to destroy most Red units on the map, which I then removed. I'm thinking of putting it back in, because, truth be told, an airfield isn't much use when there is a Syrian infantry company sitting right next to the runway!

I play CM:SF unmodded and I noticed you recommend a few mods for the campaign. How necessary are the mods from a gameplay viewpoint?

And thanks for the campaign regardless of the answer!

Not necessary at all. They are purely for looks.

Just finished scenario 2

Minor victory due to the 10% casualty threshold, I had 20% due to... too many dumb mistakes :D.

SPOILER ALERT

Took a few casualties due to the MASSIVE bombardment of Syrian artillery... I didn't have the reflex to dismount all the vehicles, so the MTVR crews got pretty banged... I had an adrenaline rush when I saw the second wave of vehicles coming, because I thought I had cleared both :D

But lots of fun, I set up my troops to make a funnel, and the AT-4s took their toll (I followed your advice to resupply in the MTVR, lucky me!).

Only thing that was odd was their behaviour of the Syrian... They either for rush the airfield, rolling directly to the runway without stopping, or stood in plain view in front of the factory area... I don't know if you had similar feedback?

Any way, I just take a lot to the next briefing before going to bed, and it looks good... Thank you in advance for this campaign!