New Scenario: The Bridge to Abu Kamal

I just uploaded new CMSF: Marines scenario.

This is my first published scenario. You're first Marines unit to reach 5 km from Iraq-Syria border. Your mission is to secure the bridge to city of Abu Kamal. Prepare for Al Qaeda fighters, intense street fightings and maybe for few suprises.

Playable only on BLUE SIDE against AI.

Map is based on real location in Syria.

Hope you like it!

Any comment or feedback is appreciated.

More scenarios coming later. :)

post-26241-141867621097_thumb.jpg

Have anyone played my scenario? Any comments?

Not yet... there's been a real flurry of new stuff out lately, but I will get around to it soon enough. Thanks for posting it and all the work creating it. I've made a few myself and know they are a lot of hard work and you want to see people enjoying it. Just sit back and relax and you'll be surprised at how many people will play it. I'll post back after I've played.

I played it. Excellent, excellent map.

It was a good fight, US Tactical defeat. I didn't bother to break my squads into sections, maybe that made a difference.

I think you could add some more time, maybe 90 minutes instead of 60.

I'm not clear on how destroying enemy buildings affects VPs. Per the briefing I didn't fire on anything unless fired upon first, and the mosque wasn't hurt much at all. (I paid a price in guys assualting it too.) So the next objective, the farm, I just leveled.

***Spoilers***

The suicide truck is a great idea, and it suprised the heck out of me, really well done. It was responsible for about half of all my casualties, it may even have ruined the US casualty limit for me.

But I think the suicide truck's ability to drive into the US setup area, only a few minutes after the US starts moving, is perhaps a little unrealistic. If you want to simulate a suicide bomber hitting the Marines before they deploy, great, it's a terrific suprise.

But the truck hit my guys about 3-4 minutes into the game, and since the Marines start all jammed up in 3-4 minutes they can't spread out very much, unless they sprint out of the setup area. My guys were moving on contact, and so the suicide truck blew up about 30 meters from my LAV, destroyed it and guys in buildings all the way around.

The firepower you give the marines to deal with the armored attack is sufficient, but even Javelines, 155mm, and CAS take time. It took me about 15 minutes to destroy all the tanks and the trucks, and in a 60 minute scenario that doesn't leave you much time for infantry moving.

But a very entertaining scenario, thank you.

Played it through today; minor victory on Iron level. Lots of fun actually, I was expecting just another take-the-town thing but for whatever reason I enjoyed this a lot. Nice work, keep 'em coming!

*** SPOILERS ***

Most of my casualties came from the one tank the Javelins couldn't get, and four 81mm fire missions couldn't knock it out either, it wasn't until the 155mm arrived that I nailed it and the game immediately ended. It's good that you're so harsh on casualties actually.

I'm glad you liked my scenario. :)

It is possible to get total victory, but you need to be quick and minimize your casualties. Scenario victory points are hard on BLUE casualties to simulate US side poor ability to substain casualties. You get +100 points, if have less than 15% casualties. RED get +500 points if they manage to get 30% or more casualties. If you lose your LAV, there is a big chance that RED will get +500 points...

I'm not too harsh on VPs on destroyed buildings. If you destroy mosque it will cost you some points, but otherwise you'll be quite safe. It's just a standard ROE not to level the whole town full of civilians. :)

Few tips to achieve major victory

Split your teams early, move fast and SCOUT ahead.

Keep your LAV safe from hidden RPG-teams and possible IEDs.

Use your early arty (mortars) only for quick salvoes to suppress enemy strongpoints. After arty, make sure you'r quick to assault your target.

Don't spread your forces too much. Keep your force together to maximize their firepower.

Mission timetable is very harsh. Commander expects that there are no major obstacles to take the bridge of Abu Kamal. Plan ahead your moves and make sure you bring your arty shots early. I know I'm very harsh on short time, it's because otherwise scenario's reinforcements will be ruined. On my testing too much time and later reinforcements on RED side made scenario too easy, if you just rush to targets. So harsh timetable is a compromize to get RED side a change to win, but maybe +5-10 extra time wont harm...

One more thing... If you happen to encounter large enemy force, it might be good idea to duck & cover and wait for reinforcements to relieve you. :D

I just played it with a Defeat and I loved it. Also my only complaint is the 1 hour time limit. I too took most of my casualties from the one remaining tank I didn't get. Had only a few casualties up to that point, put we were raked over the coals after that. Beautiful scenario with a challenging premise. Four stars in my book. I would have given the 1 1/2 to 2 hrs as well. That isn't a long time by any means for a scenario of this size. it would allow for a bit more caution and less "hoping" there aren't enemies in the building you are rushing. I had all my forces on the outskirts of the farm at the 15 min mark and knew no way was I going to take the farm and the last point in that time frame safely. So I took my defeat and left. Keep up the hard work. A real keeper!

In my next scenario there will be two hour timelimit. Should be enough for more cautious approuch.

Actually The Bridge of Abu Kamal's timelimit was over one hour, but I later changed to one hour. Well... Maybe I'll fix it for next version.