Take over and Save CMMODS.. IF I can reach person..

Hi all,

I have been trying to reach the person that manages the CMMODS domain and website. Emails have not returned and a private message I sent here went somehow to the wrong person.

IF I can reach the person who has been running CMMODS, I would like to takeover the site. I have the resources and the time to do so. I am a 46 yr old service connected disabled U.S Navy veteran that is on full medical retirement from that and my law enforcement civilian career due to those injuries. And so with that, I have plenty of time as well as interest in continuing on the mods site if possible.

The hard work, not to mention the myriad of mods already posted there, is something I would hope not to see go away.

If the person who handled the site sees this post or if any of you can reach him, please let him know I am attempting to contact him for this reason. Feel free to forward my contact information for this purpose.

If I am unable to reach him in time before everything disappears, would it be worth my time to start a new domain and server for this project? I.e. would it be needed and supported by the Combat Mission players and community if I did so? I do not want to start a large project and put the major investment of time and money into something like this if it ultimately would not be supported. So any feedback in this regard would be appreciated.

Malakie

MalakieUSN@<removethis>hotmail.com

Malakie,

What a generous offer on your part! My post regarding the utilizing of Mod DB's robust modding news/hosting site is, in large part, a reaction to the imminent demise of CMMD (CMMODS) on May 31. Like yourself, I see its demise as an enormous loss on a number of different levels.

I certainly know that if you were to pickup the baton that I would continue frequenting the site. Again, not to bruise anyone's feelings, but I feel that the Repository's design and interface is not as user friendly as it could be or should be. CMMD's site is better in this regard.

I don't want to seem too forward about this, but I seem to recall websites dedicated to cataloging everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING found at a different website. I have no idea how such sites come into existence, or if there are free programs out there that will let anyone do this if they have the harddrive space to do so, nor do I know how much time it would take for such a program to back everything up, but it might be well worth looking into, especially as the doomsday clock keeps counting down.

At the very least, this could be an emergency measure if the site's owner cannot be reached.

Just thinking out loud here...

Good luck to you on your more than worthy endeavors!

Malakie,

What a generous offer on your part! My post regarding the utilizing of Mod DB's robust modding news/hosting site is, in large part, a reaction to the imminent demise of CMMD (CMMODS) on May 31. Like yourself, I see its demise as an enormous loss on a number of different levels.

I certainly know that if you were to pickup the baton that I would continue frequenting the site. Again, not to bruise anyone's feelings, but I feel that the Repository's design and interface is not as user friendly as it could be or should be. CMMD's site is better in this regard.

I don't want to seem too forward about this, but I seem to recall websites dedicated to cataloging everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING found at a different website. I have no idea how such sites come into existence, or if there are free programs out there that will let anyone do this if they have the harddrive space to do so, nor do I know how much time it would take for such a program to back everything up, but it might be well worth looking into, especially as the doomsday clock keeps counting down.

At the very least, this could be an emergency measure if the site's owner cannot be reached.

Just thinking out loud here...

Good luck to you on your more than worthy endeavors!

Hi thanks... I am going to wait a bit yet in hopes someone can reach him about the site and the files as well as the domain. Let's say we give it until 15 May to try and reach him somehow..

If by then it does not happen, I will start a new website dedicated to Combat Mission mods and files. At that time I will need to figure out a workable domain name as well if we are not able to get the CMMODs domain.

So for now, let's see if someone cannot reach him in the meantime.

Malakie

(Todd)

Malakie, I've emailed the guy in the past and he never returned either. But someone taking over and making the definitive cm resource will be appreciated by me and quite a few others. I think it's a little slow now, but it will be booming again after British Forces comes out, then again with NATO, and yet again after WW2. So it may experience slow times, but I guarantee it'll see a lot of action in the coming years.

Btw, I'm also a service connected disabled veteran, US Navy. Did 6 years, Seabees, E5, warfare pin, etc. Did you do the full 20?

That's totally cool. Just hope we get some SF stuff up there soon. I agree with the general comment about the layout/navigation of the Repository. It's great to have it, but generally requires far too many clicks to find what you're looking for.

Good work, Greenasjade!

Malakie, I've emailed the guy in the past and he never returned either. But someone taking over and making the definitive cm resource will be appreciated by me and quite a few others. I think it's a little slow now, but it will be booming again after British Forces comes out, then again with NATO, and yet again after WW2. So it may experience slow times, but I guarantee it'll see a lot of action in the coming years.

Btw, I'm also a service connected disabled veteran, US Navy. Did 6 years, Seabees, E5, warfare pin, etc. Did you do the full 20?

Did 14 plus 10 in federal law enforcement thus I get over 20 although my main income is disability due to so many serious injuries, both Navy and Police work.

Started as a STG (Sonar Technician Surface) at sea and with Military Police when ashore. Then went special duty tasked to a special operations command. After 3rd serious injury was released with VA disability rating which now has increased due to 2 more serious injuries in law enforcement etc.

The nice surprise though was finding out my time as a fed counted toward my active duty time in terms of retirement etc. Thus it counts as combined service.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I was focussing on getting all the CMx1 material into the replacemend CMMODs site before popping in here and mentioning that CMSF is most welcome too :)

So ... CMSF Mods are most welcome at GreenAsJade's CM Mods Warehouse.

Hopefully, easy navigation, low number of clicks to get what you want, and decent search will be some of the reasons this site will have been worth the effort.

Also, the ability to browse previews of your favourite mods - for example by the unit type or for example by your favourite author - or anything else you can search for - seems to have worked out quite nicely.

Right now there's a grand total of one (1) CMSF map on the site (compared to 2400 CMx1 mods).

If you're going to be the adventurous first person to start with putting a CMSF Mod up, drop me a line because there are a few "pump priming" things needed (how to get the right country type etc for a brand new mod of a brand new game type).

Or just try it out, do your best, then let me know if there's something I need to fix :)

GaJ

Yes - someone else uploaded a map, and gave it a "type" of "map". This seems to work :)

So - you will need to first register/log in, obviously.

Then go to "Your Stuff" tab and click on "Add New CMSF Mod"

Here you will find that the choice of country probably doesn't suit too well, since they are all CMx1 countries. Pick the closest :)

Upload the Mod, and ideally a preview picture with it.

Then go back to click on "Your Mods" and edit the country. Now you will be able to type in whatever is most appropriate, and people who follow you will get whatever it is you typed as a choice at the beginning as well :)

Any probs, don't hesitate to holler! If it turns out that there's something not quite right (can't set some parameter the way it needs to be for CMSF, just get as close as you can and we'll fix after you let me know :) )

GaJ

GreenAsJade, would it be possible to add a browse or a sort option to the site?

If I want to look for scenarios I just want to browse according to a set of criteria (like a large marines scenario). I realise that there isnt a whole lot of stuff on it right now but I like the repository because I can quickly look for what I want without searching for an exact term.

Sure.

If we look at this from the perspective of "these are mods", then I was expecting you to use the search function for this. Suppose you want to browse "PzIV" mods. Then you type in PzIV into the search and you get to browse through all mods with PzIV in their title or description etc. So it isn't an exact term.

In the case of looking for a marines scenario, my first thought is that you would search for "marines".

This wouldn't fully meet your request for two reasons:

1) Size isn't taken into account

2) You would get both marines mods and marines scenarios

I wonder if this is telling us that really, a custom made warehouse for scenarios is what's needed (instead of wacking scenarios in a warehouse that's set up for storing mods)?

GaJ

As I mentioned over in CMAK forum, you can link to your preview pictures in annoucements of the mods here. So for example, angryson just uploaded this one:

UI.zip_thumb.jpg

And if want to display your work in more glory, point to the full preview pic:

UI.zip_original.jpg?1242482520

As you can see (by mousing over above) you can make these link to the mod download

page...

GaJ