Australians wrest obesity title from US

I can't believe we actually rejected them before (apparently) forking out the dosh.....usually we have to have stuff in service for ages before deciding not to bother with the expensive refit required to make it actually useful!

Sea trials are normally where everything is proved - displacement, seaworthiness, speed, etc. & any "officials" overseeing construction can only go on what the constructor tells them anyway.

b] knowing how deeply the boat will float must be quite a trick - I suggest impossible until launched

Actually, I would think it would be a standard part of the business. Not necessarily down to the last centimeter, mind you, but pretty close. After all, it must be known with fair accuracy how much the materials of its construction and equipping weigh, and the dimensions and contours of the hull are known. So from those two data it can be calculated how much water must be displaced and how deeply it would settle in order to do so.

That said, I admit I am not a naval architect. However, I have a friend who is and if I can get ahold of him in the next few days I will sound him on this issue. A couple of years ago he was demonstrating to me some software that allows him to compute all sorts of interesting things about how a ship or boat will behave in the water under various loadings and sea states. I should think compared to that, merely calculating draft would be a snap.

[Added: Perhaps the problem arose due to NZ sailors being a trifle chubbier than their Aussie brethren?]

Michael

Of course displacement and freeboard are calculable. It would be pretty useless if you are putting portholes into a hull and they turn out to be below the waterline! You also need to be able to get the thing into your ports/wharves etc and address compatability with your oilers for RAS, other vessels that you may interact with and so forth.

It seems like this is a fairly regualr example of a defence platform that has gotten burdened down with extra gear. There is probably a tendency not to watch total weight as closely on a ship project as say on a UAV, but everything adds up eventually....

Well you actually bought new ones. We did the equivalent of finding a derelict FJ Holden frame in somebody's back shed and trying to fit a BMW motor and some Honda electronics into it. We would have been better off waiting for Peter Jackson to finish his film and strapping motors onto his Lancaster replicas.

Must be something about NZ navy vessels...there was a bit of problems with their 4 IPVs as well (which were being built in NZ).

http://www.northernadvocate.co.nz/localnews/storydisplay.cfm?storyid=3797377&thesection=localnews&thesubsection=&thesecondsubsection=

According to A&NZ Defender

are subject to a number of warrantee claims which the NZDF is insisting are rectified before acceptance.

I don't think you're the only ones...IIRC, the rebuild of the US carrier Coral Sea apparently added blisters that actually made her less seaworthy and impaired her stability, greatly lessening her future service life, wasting funds and leading to an early retirement - oops!

As opposed to all the great purchases professionals make all around the world?

We're a small country - we screw up - we're used to it - I suggest you get used to it too.

But it's still fun to poke borax at the Aussies when we do get it right and they don't, or it's their fault :)

All of which or course I have cheerfully admitted in various posts above.

NZ is a small and backward country, so nobody is really surprised when they mess this stuff up. (Like someone expecting the banjo kid from Deliverance to solve cold fusion.)

Australia is at a more dangerous level of size: we're big enough to believe that we should be able to do stuff like build submarines, but we only know just enough to get ourselves into trouble. Like the mid-range computer user who knows enough to open the registry files and fiddle with them, but then ends up in strife when things don't turn out the way he expects.

Was speaking to my b-i-l yesterday. He's career RAN as an engineer and project manager. (Not associated with these NZ ships.) He says that the patrol vessels in question have been built to an NZ design that was tendered out and won by Tenix. The original design was queried at the time, particularly its capacity to handle Antarctic sea states, but went ahead as what the customer ordered. I guess that's why this is locked in legal arbitration.

It's not a New Zealand design - ships of this class are in service with the Mauritanean coast Guard & Irish navy sine the mid 90's.

AFAIK the modifications for light ice resistance (0.4m of broken early season ice!) are not a problem.

the delivery problem is not the ships themselves (a opposed to the weight problem which is the ships), but something to do with the sea boats they carry - 2 were deployed on HMNZS Canterbury & 1 was destroyed & the other damaged by high seas.

then a seaman was killed when a boat overturned during deployment.

AFAIK the argument is whether these problems are intrinsic to the design or a fault of the builder - ie who has to pay for them.

On a related note, the b-i-l in question was on one of the testing voyages that put the nail in the coffin of the Super Sea Sprites. They went down into the Antarctic Ocean and looked for the very worst weather and sea states they could find to try the choppers out. Not much fun working in front of a PC screen whilst pitching through waves of 7 – 10 metres. There was point where the ship (Oliver Hazzard Perry frigate) dug into a wave and was submerged up to the superstructure for several seconds. The officer on the bridge thought it wasn’t coming up again and was at the point of initiating an abandon alarm when it slowly crawled back out to the surface. Apparently the stresses of the trip accounted to about 50% of the lifetime wear in terms of keel flex on that frigate.