Australians wrest obesity title from US

That is a worrying new bot working there

ME said earlier

That said, I admit I am not a naval architect. However, I have a friend who is and if I can get ahold of him in the next few days I will sound him on this issue. A couple of years ago he was demonstrating to me some software that allows him to compute all sorts of interesting things about how a ship or boat will behave in the water under various loadings and sea states. I should think compared to that, merely calculating draft would be a snap.

Michael

Oh he's real then!! Well it seemed so unlikely we did not want to put any pressure on you.

: )

No please do contact him - this forum is always good for learning things.

Whether he is real or not is a subject of continuing debate. But I did e-mail him and here is his reply.

...our GHS program can predict the draft very accurately given the vessel contours and its weight. However, the precise weight and center of gravity might not be precisely predictable until the vessel is the water and some experiments can be performed (in fact, the measured draft would be used to calculate the weight), but like you I'd assume a pretty good estimate could be made if all the vessel materials and their locations were well-accounted for.

Which is pretty much what I said, agreed?

Michael