Screen resolution question

foamy

I know this subject has been discussed before but my 20 minute search did not resolve my question - so here goes;

I just got a great new monitor for my birthday today - HP w22, it suggests running at 1680 X 1050 so I set the display up to this and it works fine.

Windows 2K prof

I deleted the prefs file on CMAK and CMBO, restarted but do not get the resolution choices.

Game plays OK, but I don't know what resolution it is running at, maybe it could be better ???

I have a GeForce Ti4200 graphic card.

Any suggestions?

What was your previous desktop resolution ? It's quite possible you were running CM at that resolution. There's no way of knowing what CM is running at from the info that CM provides you. Your monitor may have an 'info' button or 'menu' button that may give you the currently running resolution/vertical refresh rate/horizontal frequency, so try that while you're running CM to find out.

With your current monitor the maximum resolution that CM will utilize will be 1280x1024. The 1680x1052 resolution isn't one that CM supports. The maximum resolution that the CMx1 series supported was 1600x1200, but the vertical resolution for that ('1200') is beyond your displays '1052' vertical resolution, so it can't be used. If 1280x1024 is higher than your previous desktop resolution, then you can delete your Prefs file and you should get the resolution selection screen the next time you run CM.

Your primary benefit will be more screen real estate within the 3D window. There's a slight chance of the display looking sharper depending on how much better it prefers that resolution to the previous one you were running CM at. One other caveat is that CM will be just a bit slower since it will have to draw more on the 3D screen, though that may or may not be noticeable depending on your system specs.

Thanks Schrullenhaft, my previous monitor was a 15" LCD set at 1024 X 768.

I tried the "Info' on my current monitor while in CMAK and CMBO, it returned; H = 58Khz, V = 72Hz.

I then reduced the resolution to max CM can handle (1280 X 1024)per your posting.

I deleted Prefs file and at CM start got the resolution question, Info'when running CMAK now returns 1280 X 1024 - 75Hz, screen is not filled but OK to play.

Problem now my desktop does not fill the screen, any ideas how to fix that?

How are you hooked up to the HP W22 monitor, via the 15-pin VGA or the much larger DVI connector ? If you're hooked via the VGA connector, then there are some monitor settings you can try to see if they'll fill out the display.

You'll need to 'unlock' your on-screen menus by first pressing the "Menu" button for 10 seconds or so. An on-screen message should say "OSD Locked" if it is locked. If it doesn't, then you're in the process of locking the menu and just pressing the "Menu" button again for 10+ seconds to unlock it.

Press the Menu button on the monitor and press the "+" button to get to the "Image Control" menu. In there press the "Menu" button if the "Auto Adjustment" is highlighted and the monitor will go through some automated routines to center and adjust the monitor. This however may not 'fill out' the screen horizontally. If it doesn't, then "+" over to the "Custom Scaling" menu option within the "Image Control" menu (where you previously were). In here press the "Menu" button when "Fill to Screen" is highlighted. This should hopefully stretch out the image to fill the screen (though I don't know how badly this may distort CM's display).

Originally posted by foamy:

Thanks Schrullenhaft, my previous monitor was a 15" LCD set at 1024 X 768.

I tried the "Info' on my current monitor while in CMAK and CMBO, it returned; H = 58Khz, V = 72Hz.

I then reduced the resolution to max CM can handle (1280 X 1024)per your posting.

I deleted Prefs file and at CM start got the resolution question, Info'when running CMAK now returns 1280 X 1024 - 75Hz, screen is not filled but OK to play.

Problem now my desktop does not fill the screen, any ideas how to fix that?

After you selected the resolution in CM once, you can switch your desktop back to whatever.

CM will remember it's selected resolution until you nuke the prefs file. You might want to make a copy of the current prefs file. It's only CM's selection mechanism that is so braindead, but you don't have to go through it often.

Thanks guys, I now am in possesion of enough knowledge to work the resolutions and screen fill etc

I run CM in 1280 X 1024 @ 60hz with no Stretch which gives me a nice 10.5 X 16" viewing area, and "Non-CM" at 1680 X 1050 wide screen which is 11.75 X 19"

• 1 month later...

I just tried the 1280 x 1024 screen and I get more stretch on my Dell 22in Monitor than the 1400 x 1050 screen. My desktop works great at 1680 x 1050. Again, just wish Battlefront would dp something with their resolution preferences to include 1680 x 1050 if the monitor is setup that way for maximum performance.

Rob