How is TOW 2 stability?

Lethaface

Having played and loved the original ToW, one (major) dissapointment for me was its stability. It was part of the reason I didn't complete all the campaigns and got bothered with it after playing a good year.

Recently I tried to start it up again (interested in the new campaign), however the game doesnt really run on my brand new rig (coreI7, ati 4870x2, 6gb, vista64). Every battle crashes after a given period of time.

Still, ToW gave me some very enjoyable moments.

The ToW2 demo did also crash on me, however only once or twice. Performance was good. Had some problems with flickering background and applying some settings in the menus though.

Can anyone advice me on the stability of the main game?

Hey, thanks for the info.

Yes, the uber patch seemed to improve stability on my old pc, however I didn't really have the time to play it at that time. However on my new pc the game the game runs worse then ever. Perhaps its a newly introduced problem since my hardware wasn't available at that moment.

I've posted my spec's in other theads on this board, but I can tell you that I too have an I7 system and ToW 1 and ToW 2 both run very stable for me. Now, I run ToW 1 in Vista64 and ToW 2 in Windows 7 beta, but again, they both run very well and very stable. Here are my spec's again so you can compare:

SYSTEM SPECS

Hardware:

EVGA X58 TRI-SLI main board

I7 940 cpu with Thermaltake SpinQ Cooler

12 GB Corsair XMS PC1066 Triple Channel Ram

nVidia GeForce 260 Superclocked Edition PCI-E GPU

(2x) Western Digital 150 GB SATA HDD (not currently in RAID config)

(1x) Seagate 500 GB SATA II HDD

RealTek 5.1 Ch Audio

Lite-On DVD Multi Recorder Drive

TSST DVD RW Drive

Antec Nine Hundred Case

Ultra X3 1000w ATX Power Supply

BOSE Companion 3 series 2.1 Speakers

Acer AL2216w 22" widescreen LCD Monitor

Acer X223 Wbd 22" widescreen LCD Monitor

Software:

Dual Boot setup

Microsoft Windows Vista 64-bit w/SP1

Microsoft Windows 7 beta

Played some hours now. Finished the first 2 missions of the amies. Crashed to desktop ...I think 4 or 5 times. So not all issues are fixed, but then again...the game and the playability are great. I'll take some crashes for granted.

When the game crashed, i mean it crashed during loading, playing a mission, saving or when? What video card model do you have?

Most of the time during saving, and after a new mission start. After loading a saved mission (the one which resulted in a crash) it also ctdt

config

mb: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3,17GHz 1333fsb 6MB Box S775

vc: Asus GeForce ENGTX280/HTDP 1GB DDR3 PCI-E 2xDVI

mem: 2GB Kingston HyperX DDR2-800 p/n KHX6400D2/2G

Another thing... sometimes the background of the menu / map iterface turns black... i'll make some screenshots so you can see what I mean.

thx for your quick respons. (if you want me to sent you a logfile...let me know)

Played a few hours so far, did the tutorial missions a few times and have the last mission left on the American campaign, got totally overrun on the first try :)

So maybe like 8-10 hours of playing. No stability issues so far, even tabbed out of game to read the manual without any mishaps.

Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1

• QX9650 / Asus Maximus Extreme.
  • 4 gb DDR3 / XFX GTX 260 (Nvidia Drivers 178.13).
  • X-FI / 150gb Raptor + x2 500gb WD.

totm8er

What is your video card model, how much onboard video RAM?

ratdeath

So you almost completed US campaign? Wow) I would advise concentrating your tanks near the pass you must defend and at least immobilize enemy armor if you can't kill it (Tigers) until reinforcement Wolverines arrive. This is tough because one German tank gets through and mission failed.

ratdeath

So you almost completed US campaign? Wow) I would advise concentrating your tanks near the pass you must defend and at least immobilize enemy armor if you can't kill it (Tigers) until reinforcement Wolverines arrive. This is tough because one German tank gets through and mission failed.

Thanks, I will try that :)

Yeah, the mighty Tiger is a tough panzer to beat with my M3 and M4's.

Hi Sneaksie,

My specs are:

Zalman 850 Watt (ZM850-HP)

1 Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3,17GHz 1333fsb 6MB Box S775

1 Zalman Cooling CNPS9700-NT for all sockets

2 Samsung F1 1000GB 7200rpm SATA2 32mb p/n HD103UJ

2x1TB in RAID 0

2 2GB Kingston HyperX DDR2-800 p/n KHX6400D2/2G

1 Asus GeForce ENGTX280/HTDP 1GB DDR3 PCI-E 2xDVI

1 Asus P5Q Pro, CF, GLan, P45, D-DDR2, PCI-E2.0, S775 {1600fsb}

1 soundcard Asus Xonar DX/XD Low Proifile 7.1 Audio PCI-X Ret.

1 26" TFT Iiyama E2607WS-B1 Zwart 2ms DVI + HDMI (3jr P&R) 301,681 301,68

Vista Ultimate

Updated my geforce driver from 180.48 to 185.68 yesterday, but nothing good happened.

Bought the system last december, no problems with other games, or crashes what so ever

Played 2 german missions... the third crashes after 2 minutes after the start. So now I am done playing TOW2 because I have similar problems with the American and English third mission.

Really hope you can help me because I really like the game.

Hope to hear from you

Hey I feel like chiming in.

I just downloaded and installed the game yesterday. Played a couple of campaign battles. The first US battle and second one was rock solid. However, I started playing the British campaign, and now I am on "Road to Thala" battle. The game keeps on crashing to desktop with or without windows error warning during the loading screen or randomly during the middle of my battle. Very frustrating.

The game crashed twice during the US campaign also, but it was able to play stably throughout the battle after a reload.

My system has been rock stable for all other games I play and this is my dedicated gaming desktop:

Antec 900 case with lots of fans for cooling

ASRock P45XE motherboard

Intel E6600 CPU

4GB DDR2 800 dual channel ram

AMD Radeon 4870 512MB with catalyst 9.4 drivers

Creative Lab X-Fi Xtreme Gamer PCI sound card

2x 74GB WD Raptor HDDs

PATA DVD burner

Running on Vista Home Premium SP1 32bit

Other games that run stable and at max settings: BF2, Redorchestra, CoD WaW, Empire Total War.

Otherwise, I love the game, I think it is much better than the first one. For some reason, I feel like I can handle the soldiers much better, like they would obey my commands and there is not "lag" when commanding them.

However I do agree there are some infantry problems. They seem to get run down way too easily. And also the enemy have super spotting, especially on the 2nd US battle. My howitzers keep getting killed by unknown enemy arty.

Here's my info, getting lots of CTD's with no error message's for why.

Time of this report: 4/26/2009, 17:12:48

Machine name: DATA

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: System manufacturer

System Model: System Product Name

BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/10/06 20:36:11 Ver: 08.00.12

Processor: IntelĀ® Core2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 2048MB RAM

Page File: 672MB used, 3271MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

isplay Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 7950 GX2

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0293&SUBSYS_038010DE&REV_A1

Display Memory: 512.0 MB

Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor

Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200

Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll

Driver Version: 6.14.0011.8250 (English)

DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

With regard to your videocard, turn off antialiasing and ansiotropic filtering to see if it makes any difference. I still have occasional lockups and texture corruption on my PC with certain games (I don't have ToW2) due to these issues. Another thing to try when you have graphics corruption (black screen you mentioned, etc.) is to turn off "conformant texture clamp" in the NVidia control panel.

These have helped some when I couldn't find a solution under normal means. Not having AA/AF kinda sucks, but, it's probably only a tweak by 1C or Nvidia away from working as it should.

Try the same "dial down" of other settings too and see what if any effect they might have on ToW2. Some games are just sensitive under certain conditions (card brand Q, setting Z, game X, etc.).