Soldiers not following orders!

Sometimes the AI is too smart for its own good.

I had javelin team targetting a t55 The javelin team instead switches to a BMP-3 that is in sight at the same time, and blasts it to pieces.

Goddamnit! The T55 was targetted for a reason - they have thick hide and have to be taken out with AP, rather than by shoot and scoot.

Is there any way of punishing these soldiers who show too much initiative? Some kind of court marshal perhaps? Or perhaps the good ol' "forced march into exposed areas"?

:mad::mad::mad:

I prefer the penal battalion style of mine clearance or enemy machinegun recce. :)

Failing that, it's tough to find a good solution. If you put a TARGET ARC enclosing only the T-55 (and its likely movement area) you may not exclude the BMP-3. The specific geometries of the engagement would determine if TARGET ARC is more appropriate than TARGET.

Other than that, I don't have any ideas.

Good luck.

Area target some 105s either with HE for immediate death or some WP smoke to watch the slow burn.

I like this better because you can listen to them beg for forgiveness and it gives you a chance to change your mind.

Ready... (Call for Fire over)

Aim... (Shot over)

Fire.... (Splash Over)

Almost as good a firing squad...

Hmmm... there must have been some reason for the Javelin Team to switch, even if it doesn't make sense. The TacAI is VERY reluctant to switch off of a Human designated target. Even if the player's suggested target sucks the unit is still supposed to place very heavy emphasis on it vs. what it thinks is a better target.

Some possible reasons...

The Jav team lost track of the T-55 for a few seconds as the BMP came into view, so it took the target it could hit and not the one that might have shown itself again.

The BMP was a lot closer and posing a bigger threat. Overall, the BMP-3 is a bigger threat to infantry than the T-55, so that could have been a factor.

The tank wasn't presenting itself in a way that the Jav team felt comfortable shooting at, but the BMP-3 did. Chance of success is fairly important for teams with very limited ammo.

Those are just a few suggestions as to what might have gone on. Because, like I say, the default behavior is to follow what the player instructed even if it doesn't seem like the best idea.

Virtual punishment battalions... ah... sounds like an idea for CM: Eastern Front :)

Steve

Virtual punishment battalions... ah... sounds like an idea for CM: Eastern Front :)

Steve

Artillery and Engineers cost money. Human wave attack by conscripts to clear minefields cost nothing. ;) Maybe we could also get Conscripts that only every other man has a rifle, and you have to use buddy aid on dead soldiers to arm the rest of your men.

First of all, thanks for all the suggestions. I like the WP one best.

Some possible reasons...

[1] The Jav team lost track of the T-55 for a few seconds as the BMP came into view, so it took the target it could hit and not the one that might have shown itself again.

[2] The BMP was a lot closer and posing a bigger threat. Overall, the BMP-3 is a bigger threat to infantry than the T-55, so that could have been a factor.

[3] The tank wasn't presenting itself in a way that the Jav team felt comfortable shooting at, but the BMP-3 did. Chance of success is fairly important for teams with very limited ammo.

Steve

Thanks for the serious reply, Steve.

[1] and [2] are ruled out because they are all equally far away, and stationary targets.

[3] I wouldn't have thought so because from that distance the jav would be coming vertically down.

I have the save file if anybody is interested in checking it out.

I prefer the penal battalion style of mine clearance or enemy machinegun recce. :)

Failing that, it's tough to find a good solution. If you put a TARGET ARC enclosing only the T-55 (and its likely movement area) you may not exclude the BMP-3. The specific geometries of the engagement would determine if TARGET ARC is more appropriate than TARGET.

Other than that, I don't have any ideas.

Good luck.

Hmmm, if the buggers last that long I will try that idea. Target arcs are very restrictive for vehicles - they will ignore almost any threat outside one. I suppose its the same for troops.