Cmbat Mission Campaigns Cancelled!. Any chance for an interface design in CMx2 WWII?

Cid250

Combat mission Campaigns was cancelled!.

Will be possible to include in the design of CMx2 WWII a new interface to export/import data to/from an external third party application?... May be that will make possible a new CMC or other future associated products under the license of Battlefront.

Will be nice that each CMx2 WWII scenario gets an "input" and "output" interface of data at the beggining of a mission and at the end of it, with a good SDK provided by Battlefront under license. Things like the number, and class of units and his status in supply, hurt, deaths, etc... and also some inputs about terrain features generation.

How many players, modders, and developers are interested in such thing?.

Then, feel free to post here to give your support and comments to this possibility :)

I would love to see this in cmx2 ww2. I have been dying for a cmc type interface to enhance cm games. It doesn't even have to be very sophisticated, just something to show some of the operational decisions/ situation so that the tactical fighting is a little more immersive. I can be done, the close combat games had a simple middle interface for managing campaigns. If we can get a minimal cmc style interface in cmx2, then the foundation will be there to grow and improve.

BFC have in the past indicated they aren't too interested in diverting their resources in some sophisticated campaign effort. With this latest development, I'm afraid the chances of seeing anything along these lines have just gotten significantly smaller. :(

It's a pity, I'm a great fan of campaigns. It's a matter of great disappointment for me that currently we can't even put something together along the lines of RobO's campaign system.

Combat mission Campaigns was cancelled!.

Will be possible to include in the design of CMx2 WWII a new interface to export/import data to/from an external third party application?... May be that will make possible a new CMC or other future associated products under the license of Battlefront.

Will be nice that each CMx2 WWII scenario gets an "input" and "output" interface of data at the beggining of a mission and at the end of it, with a good SDK provided by Battlefront under license. Things like the number, and class of units and his status in supply, hurt, deaths, etc... and also some inputs about terrain features generation.

How many players, modders, and developers are interested in such thing?.

Then, feel free to post here to give your support and comments to this possibility :)

+1

This idea would be GREAT!!

And personally it´s what I´m waiting for in next CMx2 WWII. I don´t care about 3D graphics, sounds, fireworks and so..., aren´t solid reasons for me to buy any game. I´d prefer this kind of improvements in gameplay: I think it will give more interesting incentives to play it!

• 2 weeks later...
+1

This idea would be GREAT!!

And personally it´s what I´m waiting for in next CMx2 WWII. I don´t care about 3D graphics, sounds, fireworks and so..., aren´t solid reasons for me to buy any game. I´d prefer this kind of improvements in gameplay: I think it will give more interesting incentives to play it!

Couldn't agree more - not that I have any problem with some convincing graphics, but it's the knowledge that the battle you fight will have long-term consequences that really brings the situation to life and creates immersion. It makes you care about the game so much more!

Campaigns are important, but the most important thing is the tactical environment. If the tactical environment is compromised because of resources going to a strategic layer, then the entire game suffers for everybody... campaign players and those who couldn't care less about them (and yes, there are a lot of people in that category). That's always where we've put our development resources and always will be. Games that try to be all things to all people rarely do more than leave everybody wanting something better.

We know our limits and trying to take on something like this is way beyond them. The unfortunate truth is there simply aren't enough people interested in such a venture to make it viable for us to overcome our inherent limitations (i.e. staffing). The only possibility is for a viable 3rd party to develop a strategic layer in a separate, stand alone program. That's what we had hoped CMC would be, but we all know how that turned out :(

Writing an input/output interface takes time and we don't have it to spare unless we know it is going to be used. And what data we export/input will depend on what the team making the strategic layer thinks they need, so we actually can't write one ahead of time anyway.

Steve

Writing an input/output interface takes time and we don't have it to spare unless we know it is going to be used. And what data we export/input will depend on what the team making the strategic layer thinks they need, so we actually can't write one ahead of time anyway.

Steve

Steve, how about an enhanced version of RoBo's quick campaign generator for your next WWII title? Would that take away a lot of resources?

Even few data, gives a lot for the modders!.

The input/ouput for basic SDK is limited to:

A) Import input (before PBEM Quick battle starts):

a.1 Kind of deployment: Meeting Engagement, Blue Attack Prove, Red Attack Probe, Blue Attack, etc...

a.2 Enumeration of the Unit List in the starting battle with the following attributes for each unit listed:

a.2.1 Attribute for each unit about damage status/killed

a.2.2 Attribute for each unit about ammo available

a.2.3 Attribute for each unit about fitness/fuel supply.

a.2.4 Unique Id for the unit

a.2.5 Class of Unit

a.2.6 Attribute for each unit about parent unit link (for chain of command pourpouses, if needed).

a.2.7 Attribute for each unit about special gear/loadout (if needed)

a.3 Terrain: At least size, and general type, like urban, small hills, etc. (Other terrain details aren't needed for a basic implementation).

B) Export output (after PBEM Quick battle finish):

b.1 Kind of Victory: Minor, Complete, Draw, etc...

b.2 Enumeration of the Unit List in the finished battle with the following attributes for each unit listed:

b.2.1 Attribute for each unit about damage status/killed

b.2.2 Attribute for each unit about ammo available

b.2.3 Attribute for each unit about fitness/fuel supply.

b.2.4 Class of Unit

Import/export data can be done in a similar way than the PBEM format, as file... or as another kind of file like plain text (no need to avoid possible file hacks, since fair play in campaigns can be granted by players/managers).

Isn't that much, for even not considering that option in the next 5 years time frame... if you plan to build a beter Quick Battle generator, to extent the functionality to allow input/output from a file isn't much more complex in development time.

Malaspina,

Steve, how about an enhanced version of RoBo's quick campaign generator for your next WWII title? Would that take away a lot of resources?

Yes it would. Anything more than a few hours of time is completely out of the question. This would take far, far more than a few hours.

Cid250,

If it were that easy sure... but it isn't so it's not going to happen. The devil is always in the details and that's just a fact we have to live with. Sorry.

Guys, until we have a developer who can prove they have the experience and resources to create a viable strategic layer program we're not going to waste our time and developing a file I/O for ingame data. There's no room for negotiation on this point.

Steve

Steve